Vought F4U-1A Corsair (Tamiya 1/48)

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 311 · 3 months ago · 1/48, Corsair, F4U-1A, Tamiya, Vought
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

After the clear coat dried sufficiently it was time to finally remove the masks. Luckily they went off without affecting the paint.

Next it was time to mount the wings. Thanks to Tamiya they went on smoothly.

Now time to do some final inspection and touch ups.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

Noice!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

John vd Biggelaar (@johnb)
    This looks incredible ! One of the best Corsairs I have seen in a while. You should be very proud of how it turned out. I'm hoping to see it in the headlines section soon.

Well done !

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

Bullseye! John @johnb. I echo what Louis said. Your bird turned out absolutely terrific! Take lots of photos when you post it in headlines so we can see all your fine work.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

Great work, John (@johnb). You have really captured the look, especially with the folded wings. It was great following along on this.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

Superb job, my friend @johnb! Looking forward to the finish line crossing!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

@tcinla, thank you, Tom

@lgardner, thanks a lot, Louis. I think I could have done better on the weathering, I might give it a try to add some dirt here and there but the wings feel quite fragile like this.

@eb801, thank you, Eric. I sure will.

@gblair, thanks, George. My first attempt with wings folded, the Tamiya engineers helped a lot in making it relatively easy to do so.

@fiveten, thank you, Spiros. No finish line crossing this weekend since we will spent our time in Belgium. But it should cross the finish line before Christmas.

• Profile Photo
    tom jenkins said 4 months ago:

John, continues to look great! Can't wait to see the finished model!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 months ago:

@tjenks, thank you, Tom.
    I was able to post it on the headlines two days ago. Here is the link:

Jim Sullivan Group Build: Vought F4U-1A Corsair "Big Hog"
  • Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 4 months ago:

John, you've made this standard build your own. Its more than plastic and captures the character and feel of a Corsair. If you take the time to show this kit on the tarmac or in a jungle setting from the perspective of a pilot or a mechanic on the ground you'd be adding frosting on the cake. Some strong work going on. The in progress/build blog explaining your process in making this kit is off interest too. Tamiya created what I call a legacy kit. Accurate enough to set the standard but, simple enough for folks to cross the finish line with a good feeling of having done.

Two thumbs up.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 4 weeks ago:

@stephen-w-towle, thank you, Stephen. Not too much of a challenge for this Tamiya kit, but with the addition of some elements it builds up quite nicely indeed. An interesting yet beautiful idea to put it in such a diorama, something which still has my interest.