1/48 Revell F-84E Thunderjet a tribute build to my Dad’s childhood friend who was MIA in Korea

Started by Louis Gardner · 81 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Louis I made two trips to the USAF Museum in June so it may be awhile before I visit again. However, they have 20 great pics of their F-84G on their official site. Some show their F-84 restoration. You can search other A/C as well.

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/196111/republic-f-84e-thunderjet/

Have fun

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 2 years, 10 months ago:

By the way the main difference between the E and G model from an external appearance is the addition of an air refueling probe and a multi framed canopy. Many of the E models were retro fitted with the new canopy.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Gary, @garybrantley
    Thanks for the comments on this build. It is something that I have been wanting to do for a long time now. I remember your F-84 build well. I also remember the excellent photos of it that you took outside of it near a hangar.

I also believe we share the same thoughts on (and about) our veterans. Without their sacrifices, we would not be as fortunate as we are, regarding our liberties, that seem to be under constant attack lately. As a teacher, it is your responsibility to pass this historical information on to our younger generations. Now what we hear on most of the main stream media news agencies is how the "cancel culture" is taking hold, and erasing history. What they fail to realize is that by doing this, in several generations of time passing by, this part of our culture / heritage, (whatever they call it now), will be forgotten.

There once was a saying that went like this: "Those who do not know or forget their history, painful as some of it might be, will be doomed to repeat it." (or something similar to that)... However these Marxists are not interested in that. Enough ranting on about politics. Freedom isn't free. It never has been, and it never will be. All too often it is paid for in blood. Once we forget this, we will have to learn it all over again the hard way.

I also enjoyed your MiG-15 build... 🙂

Thank you, and I'll leave you with a thought. When I was in High School, I had a teacher who was a mentor. His name was Mr. Jeff Ridgedill and he taught history. He instilled in me a lifelong passion for the subject. It caries over into most of my builds. Learning about the men and machines we build in miniature, is just as much fun for me as the actual building process.

• Profile Photo

George, @chinesegeorge
    You know me well... 🙂 Thanks for the kind words. Please stand by, as I have another installment coming up just soon as I finish responding to the posts. I hope that this model, once completed, will live up to everyone's expectations. Take care and stay safe.

• Profile Photo

Spiros, @fiveten
    Thank you for following along with this build. As a fighter pilot, I'm sure you can imagine what it was like for Lt. Rebo's last radio transmission to be heard over the radio by his fellow pilots and friends...

As far as this kit goes, it has been an absolute joy to assemble. So far it has been perfect. I have two of these kits, and I decided to go ahead and build the second one up too. This second kit is marketed as a F-84G, and it has several different parts included, such as a different in flight refueling door and blow in doors on the side of the fuselage. It has you cut off the wingtip tank mounted refueling probes, and also comes with a nuclear bomb. I have plans to use the rockets from this one on Lt. Rebo's plane. I have found a good picture that shows a plane from his unit armed with two sets of rockets, and a 500 pound GP bomb slung under each wing... So please stay tuned. I have pictures to follow.

• Profile Photo

Chuck, @uscusn
    I do tend to carry my passion into everything I do, whether it is restoring a classic muscle car, or building a model. Your comments about this model are spot on. It has been fantastic to build. In fact I decided to pull the trigger on the second one I have in the stash... Why not ? I will be painting the same colors so I thought it would be easy to do... I will stop just short on completing this second one, depending on the decals I end up using.

I also have the 1/48 Tamiya F-84 kit, and the swept wing 1/48 Monogram F-84F in the stash. I pulled these kits down to take a closer look at. If I didn't have a deadline to make with this build of November 10th, I seriously would consider building them up too at the same time... in genuine Iron Werke fashion !

• Profile Photo

Andrew, @pb_legend

I have heard the same good praise about the F-84G Pro Modeler version of this kit. From what I have gathered, they have better assembly instructions, along with more detailed pictures of the actual subject. I have not done any research on the Kinetic F-84. I do have the Monogram F-84F swept wing version in the stash however. If it looks like the deadline for this will have ample time left over, I can include it in this journal, or I could start a new build journal in the more appropriate "Aircraft" section, since it never saw action in Korea. I am curious myself about how the Kinetic version builds. I would like to see what your kit looks like. Please feel free to post up what you have so far. Thanks !

• Profile Photo

Tom B. @tom-bebout

Thanks for this information, and I do appreciate the link you provided. There's a lot of great stuff to look at in the Air Force museum... I could spend DAYS there. Going back there again is on my bucket list. I haven't been there since the early 1980's. I'm sure that a lot has changed since then. Thanks again !

Stay safe bud, and your Yellow Wings SBD turned out fantastic. It looks real nice in the headlines section.

• Profile Photo

OK, now that I have made the replies, I can get to the meat and potatoes of this build. In case you have not read all of the journal so far, I have decided to go ahead and build the other 1/48 Monogram F-84G I have in the stash. The plastic assembles just as nice as it did in the F-84E that I am building as a tribute for Lt. Rebo. There are some minor differences between the two jets. There are also some minor differences in the plastic parts. The box art for the F-84E

and for the F-84G, which happens to be molded in a slightly darker gray plastic...

Here you can see some of the main differences between the two kits. The F-84G has a separate panel insert for the intake doors. Here you can see the F-84E on top, and the darker colored plastic with the auxiliary doors installed below. The fit is perfect so far on both kits.

One of the things that is different is the lack of the wing tip refueling probes. The instructions will have these parts cut off on the F-84G.

I found a good picture showing a jet from Lt. Rebo's unit that was armed to the teeth for some serious "whup a$$" ground attack mission. It had two rows of rockets AND a 500 pound bomb slung on a pylon under the wing just inboard of the main landing gear. This is how I want to build up Lt. Rebo's jet. So I will "borrow" the rocket set from the F-84G model. This is how the jet will be armed.

Both cockpits, nose bays and under the canopy parts have been built.

Here you can see both fuselage sets are assembled. Notice one is a darker gray plastic.

The main landing gear bays have also been assembled.

Here you can see the copyright markings and how they were placed on the inside of the wings, which is how it should be...

Notice that one strangely states it is made in China. Say it isn't so !

But yes it continues on to the outside... on the tail planes that you see here. Look closely at the darker plastic set.

I zoomed in on this, just in case you missed it. Oddly enough, these "exterior" Country of origin markings are not present on the F-84E...

Now don't worry... as a model builder (with some experience), I was able to carefully shave it off using a nice (not so new, but still razor sharp) Made in the USA razor blade...

After some minimal block sanding, the part looked as if it should polish up nicely...

which it did in case you were wondering... 🙂

Also I still have all of my digits, and no blood was spilled (so far) during assembly.

Now to be perfectly fair and honest, both kits have been an absolute joy to build so far, despite the markings cast on the exterior of the stabilizer...as this hasn't affected the build.

So it wasn't too terribly bad to deal with. Maybe I just got lucky...
    There's one other difference in the plastic parts of the F-84G. It includes a nuclear bomb. I have not assembled it yet, but if it goes together as nicely as the rest of the kit has, it should be very nice. Here's what it looks like before assembly.

As usual, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 9 months ago:

This is a nice progress on both kits, my friend @lgardner! Iit still is beyond my understanding why one can find logos molded on external surfaces. Anyways, you did a great job removing the offending one, and I just love the pic with the razor.
    Looking forward to both of these beautiful kits!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Monogram then Revell/Monogram as far as I know always had their trademark under one of the horizontal stabs. Same as on the current Monogram B-26 Invader I am working on. Just simply remove it with a blade as Louis did, it's nothing new. Not to often in California where dealerships will have a nameplate added to a new car showing where it was bought as a form of advertisement, you see this type of branding in the east, not to often here it would most likely be license plate frames or a dealer placard where the state plate will eventually replace once it arrives from DMV. Now those have gone away as new cars have a temporary paper plate assigned until the new plates arrives. But on a lighter note, when I was on a 2 week det to NAS Cubi Point in The Philippines. this would be in 1985, some crewman did actually stencil Monogram, Inc. Copy right 1982 under the RH stab of an F-14. I wish I had my camera, but being a forward base, what was considered a "hot" zone at the time security was very tight and cameras were verboten. Funny stuff does come and go out in the fleet. Like toilet bowl or kitchen sink bombs, things like that...

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 9 months ago:

@lgardner
    Louis my friend, it seems the newer moulds are being made in the PRC , which following their long time policy, “nationalizes” even acquired moulds 🙂
    Looking forward for your next installment, despite its age, the kit’s still look sharp

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Also, the E doesn't have the "blow in" door in the forward fuselage, or the flight refueling receptacle in the left wing near the fuselage.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Chuck: That a crewman would do that to an F-14 reminds me of some information passed on to me by Barrett Tillman: back about 20 years ago, the Navy was looking for a way to lower the percentage of washouts from flight training, and did a study of the high achievers in training, to see if there was anything they all shared in common.

It turned out that there was.

EVERY ONE of the high achievers in flight training either had been or still was a modeler.

Ha! We rule!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 6 months ago:

It has been a long while since I have posted an update here on this build journal. I have been quite busy doing a lot of things.

First I will respond to the last comments, and then post the latest build updates. A lot has been accomplished with the F-84... and I think you will enjoy what will soon follow.