1/48 Revell F-84E Thunderjet a tribute build to my Dad’s childhood friend who was MIA in Korea

Started by Louis Gardner · 81 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Spiros, @fiveten
    I also have wondered why some companies place their logo trademarks in a location that is an annoyance for the builder. I fully understand the advertising part of it, but there are some places that could be better used. At least the raised letters were not too hard to take care of. In the end, it will not be noticeable after a little bit of corrective action.

• Profile Photo

Chuck, @uscusn
    I'll bet the "Monogram" stenciling on the Tomcat stabilizer was something cool to see. I can remember when car dealerships had their name and brand logo made into a 3D advertisement that was most often chrome plated and attached to the trunk lid of a brand new car. Many years ago, in 1983 I purchased a 1973 Dodge Charger SE from the original owner who had bought the car brand new at the local "Rossmeyer Dodge" dealership, which was located directly across from the Daytona International Speedway. This Charger was a highly optioned car, with a 440 cubic inch V-8 under the hood, power windows, power steering and disc brakes, bucket seats with a slap stick console and it even had a sunroof ! It had so many options, that it needed two fender tags to display them all...
    This car was used as the "Official" Pace Car at the Speedway for the Paul Revere 250 which was the day before the Firecracker 400 race was held on July 4th. It still had the chrome dealership emblem installed on the trunk, and a few of the stickers for the Paul Revere 250 were still in the glove box... I'll see if I can find a picture of it for you, and I think I still have a few of the stickers in my tool box. I wish I still had the car today. Hindsight... 🙁

My how the times have changed... About 20 or so years ago, I got a chance to talk with Richard Petty about the car. He actually remembered it, and described it to me. It was red, trimmed with a white vinyl top.

• Profile Photo

Pedro, @holzhamer

I did notice that the newer kit molds had been modified with the addition of "Made in China" markings. You could see where the "Made in USA" markings had been removed... at least this was on the inside of the wing. Yes these kits are both very nicely done. So far the fit has been very good, and I have only needed to add a little bit of filler on the nose section at the panel line where the intake mated against the fuselage. This was needed for both models, so it could be a potential problem area. The other place that filler was needed was at the tail cone... but only on one kit, not both. It very well could have been due to my sloppy building techniques, and not a fault of the kit. I'll post up some pictures in just a few... Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo

Tom, @tcinla
    Since I have the good fortune to see both kits at the same time, I have been able to pick out the minor differences. They have different part numbers for these areas you have mentioned. The in flight refueling door, and the blow in panels to augment the intake airflow are the main changes, just as you stated. Then we have another difference with the sliding portion of the canopy. Rodney Williams told us how he used to install white reinforcement strips of fiberglass to the clear plexi-glass sliding canopy when he was working at the factory.. He stated it was added on the inside as well as the outside, and done to help keep the canopy intact if it was shattered by incoming fire. I have several reference books and a few good pictures showing this area. Once you know to look for this, it becomes plain as day... something I didn't know before.

That was also very interesting to hear about the "high achiever's" also being model builders...

Thanks gentlemen for the comments. Please stay tuned for the latest installment.

• Profile Photo

Ok here we go... Over the last weekend I got a lot completed on these two F-84's. My goal is to have the one that was flown by Mike Rebo to be completed so that I can post it in the headlines section on November 10th. This is my main self imposed priority. I want to have the article written, and the model photographed so I can post it on the anniversary of Mike's disappearance as a tribute to him and his family.

Meanwhile, I have another Monogram F-84 kit in the stash. I have been looking at it lately, and I decided to drag it down and build it up to the point of the exterior finishing. I was painting these colors and had the air brush loaded, so I decided to pull the trigger on it too. It happened to be the 1/48 Monogram F-84F kit that has a swept wing.

A few weeks ago while surfing the net for various F-84 pictures, I found this one of the US Air Force Thunderbirds.

Then I scored this set of decals from Sprue Brothers. They are designed for the Kinetic kit, but they state with some modifications, they will work on the Monogram version like I have here.

I plan to eventually paint the red, white and blue sections, so these decals should work fine on the Monogram kit. Time will tell. Meanwhile I have painted all of the interior bits and assembled this one. It is now parked, while I completed the work on the other straight wing F-84's.

So far I only needed to add a little bit of filler on the fuselage, just under the nose intake section behind the nose gear doors. This model was marked as being produced at the turn of the century, 2000 year. I was pleasantly surprised as to just how nicely it went together. It was also a very fast build... I had this much done in a few hours of total building and painting time.

Getting back to the original builds, First off I glued the inner walls of the main gear wells in place on the upper wing. Next I have painted the interior sections using "Zinc Chromate Yellow" from the Testors little square bottle of enamel.

Next the inboard main gear doors were installed,

and the upper and lower wing sections were glued permanently. I decided to change it up a little between the "E" and the "G" versions. I will have the flaps deployed, and the pilot installed on the "E". This will make it look as if the plane is taxiing, since I have not found too many pictures showing the flaps deployed while on the ground. Here you can see both sets of flaps and wings have been assembled and are ready to be covered with foil.,

The speed brake is another story... These were most often photographed in the "DOWN" position when the plane was parked. The G model will have the underwing rockets installed, while the E model that Mike Rebo flew will have the 500 pound GP bombs and no other visible ordnance. Thankfully, these areas were molded closed, so the builder has to open the wing in order to install the rockets. This is much easier than having to fill in holes.

The interior of both fuselages were painted, and the cockpits assembled. Before gluing the fuselage halves together, I added modelling clay inside the nose areas, packing the empty voids in the nose to prevent these from being a "tail sitter". If you look very close, you can just make out a little bit of blue clay being visible in the sliding canopy opening just behind the cockpit. The entire nose section was filled with clay...probably a bit of an overkill.

You can see the main difference here, with the blow in doors augmenting the air intake on the G model. This panel is smooth on the E version.

The fuselage halves fit together perfectly. No seam work was needed along this joint. Here you can see how nice the joint is. I purposely took these pictures using the light to show how smooth the fit is.

I covered the interior of the nose air intake using "Matt Aluminum" Bare Metal Foil.

The actual nose gear bay was painted using the same Testors Yellow Zinc Chromate, as was the speed brake well.

Previously I mentioned how the nose intake required a little filler. Here I have brushed on some Liquefied Styrene. It was needed on both kits.

Oddly enough, when the tail cone was added, it fit perfectly on the "G" version... Here you can see just how nice it fit.

However when it came to the "E" model, I needed to add a little bit of the LQS. This is likely my fault, and not the kit's.

Here you can see both the E and the G sitting next to each other. The E kit plastic is a lighter gray color than the G model. It only becomes visible once these two are parked side by side.

The landing gear doors and speed brakes were covered using foil. They are ready to install now, once it's time to do so.

The horizontal stabilizers are ready to cover with foil. The Monogram copyright logos have been sanded and the plastic polished smooth.

They will not be added however, until I paint the red and white diagonal stripes on the fin and rudder assembly... which happens to be the next step once the filler has been sanded smooth on the tail cone.

As always, comments are encouraged.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 7 months ago:

@lgardner - Louis, good to see you back in the (iron) works! That’s some large update, and with some very good descriptions about both models construction steps. They look good so far, let’s see those wings in place next

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

You have been away for while, but what a re-entry you made, my good friend @lgardner!
    What a massive, but also full of quality steps update!
    You do make me jealous to dig out an F-84! Hope to restrain myself and wrap up my running progress.
    Good use of MBF and LqS!
    Looking forward to your next steps, most importantly the 10th of November!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 7 months ago:

@lgardner - good to see you back. I was beginning to worry. Nowadays, no news is not necessarily good news - in fact it almost never is. So, WELCOME BACK WELCOME BACK WELCOME BACK as a certain TV theme song used to put it.

The F-84F looks good as a Thunderbird. I actually saw them perform when the USAFA first opened at Lowry AFB in 1957. Found out many years later that Thunderbird #1 was Jack Broughton.

That's neat stuff you're doing to the "plank wing" F-84.

• Profile Photo

Pedro, @holzhamer
    Thank you my friend. I have been extremely busy with a lot of other things that have been keeping me from posting regularly on here lately. Hopefully this will not happen again too soon. Yes, the "Ironweke" is up and running again at full steam ! If you could only see what I have underway... but finishing this F-84E is now a top priority. Time has been flying by and I hadn't realized just how close November 10th is !

Tonight I have finished up with the filling and sanding, I'll post some pictures in a few, so please stay tuned.

• Profile Photo

Spiros, @fiveten
    Thank you for the compliments. I am very pleased with how the LQS filler has sanded out tonight. It looks nice and smooth, something that is very important with a BMF finish. I really like how your Saburo Sakai A6M is looking... so please keep it up my friend ! I'm sure if you build a F-84, it will look amazing, as do all of your models. This is likely due to your quality control team, QC1 and QC2. 🙂

Yes I have been absent from here for a little while, but hopefully this will not happen again too soon. Sometimes I get way too busy with other stuff, and I don't have any spare time for building models...

Please stay tuned, as I have another update coming right up...

• Profile Photo

Tom, @tcinla
    Thanks for checking in. I agree that not hearing from someone in today's world could be a bad thing. I remember the TV show you are referring too... a certain High School teacher.

I have been very fortunate to have seen the Thunderbirds on several occasions, but the earliest time I can remember was when they were flying T-38 Talons. Since then I have seen them fly the F-16 on several occasions.

I'll bet seeing them fly in the F-100 was a cool sight to see. The F-84F looks great wearing the Thunderbird scheme. I have two of the ancient 1/48 Monogram F-100's, and I have been toying with the idea of building one of them up as a Thunderbird plane... but what has kept me from doing this, is that Hobby Boss (or Trumpter I forget which), has came out with a 1/48 scale kit with the T-Bird markings supplied as part of the kit. If I ended up getting this one, I could build the two Monogram kits differently, with one in SEA camouflage scheme and another in a standard USAF bare metal scheme.

Time will tell what I end up doing... 🙂

Again, thanks for checking in, and please stand by as I have another update coming right up...

• Profile Photo

Earlier tonight I spent some time sanding down the liquefied styrene that I had previously applied to the nose intake on both planes, and the tail cone on the F-84E. I'm very pleased with the results. This is crucial when you are doing a polished metal finish. Nothing shows scratches more...

Here you can see the end results of the nose job... 🙂

The exhaust cone turned out equally as nice. This work was only needed on the F-84E. The part fit perfectly on the G version. I am convinced this is a result of my sloppy work. You can see the darker gray areas. This is where the LQS was used as a filler material.

I sanded the seams on the wing tip mounted fuel tanks. I tried to cover this area using foil, but since it was a compound curve, the foil kept wrinkling and I could not get the foil to lay down smooth. So I dropped back to plan B and sprayed these tanks using some Testors Metallizer buff-able "Aluminum Plate" color from a rattle can.
    Here is what it looks like now.

I applied some Matte Aluminum bare metal foil to the undersides of both wings, next to the main gear wells. I was careful to maintain the same orientation of the foil, as it has a grain to it. I want the wings to be a mirror image of each other.

Then I applied foil to the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizers.

I am very happy with the results so far. If things go well, tomorrow I will try to spray on the red nose ring, and the red and white tail stripes.

As usual, comments are encouraged. Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 7 months ago:

@lgardner - The Thunderbirds in F-100s and the Blues in Tigers were the best. First time I saw both as a kid was the same year, 1955 - the Birds on Air Force Day in F-84Gs and the Blues on Navy Day in F0F-5s. Armed Forces Day didn't happen for another year. I did like seeing the Blues in Skyhawks come over the California state capitol at 500 feet with smoke on in 1975. No announcement, they just did it while I was walking back to the capitol from lunch.

• Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Great looking progress Louis! When I built my Revell F-84E, the tail-cone also had an atrocious fit. I had to use some Bondo spot filler to make it right. I doubt that poor fit you encountered was due to your efforts. I'm looking forward to what's next!

• Profile Photo

Tom, @tcinla
    The earliest airshow recollection I have is that I can remember watching the Blue's when they were practicing at NAS Sanford. I must have been around 4 or 5 years old at the time... and boy did I think it was cool ! I agree with you that the Thunderbirds F-100 is a very attractive looking plane. There's just something special about a bare metal surface graced with the red, white and blue colors. I have read where some say these planes were painted with an aluminum or silver paint. However, in some color photographs, you can see a difference in the reflectivity of the various metal panels, making me believe that they were left in a natural metal state. Then I have read where the vertical rudder and fin assembly on the #4 ship was painted black because the soot from the lead plane would discolor it !

I'll bet the shows you have described were a sight to see.