Corsairs, Invaders & more

Started by Wolfgang Rusch · 17 · 3 years ago · B-29, Corsair, F-80, Invader, Mustang, PSP, Sabre, Thunderjet
  • Profile Photo
    Wolfgang Rusch said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Hello Folks!
    Thank you Louis for your invitation. I have started two Korean war related projects some time ago, the first one came to a halt in 2018 waiting to be continued, the second was started recently during our Covid lockdown. This group´s inspiration will surely help me finishing them and kickstart the build of some other kits in my stash, too. Don´t know which of them I´ll actually pick...

1/48 F4U-4B Corsair of VMF-214, very late production batch w/extra raised canopy. A Hasegawa F4U-4 / F4U-5 kitbash with some resin wheels and spare decals (started)

1/48 PSP display/dio base, yeah, sounds boring (started)

1/48 B-26B Invader. The new ICM (B-26B-50) kit provides markings for two very interesting OD schemes. Scribing gun bay doors into the wings and replacing the wheels aren´t a brainer. But those two versions (of production batch -56 and -61 respectively) were obviously built without a lower turret. A turret-less bottom part isn´t included in the kit, unfortunately.

1/48 B-26C Invader to the rescue. This even newer glass-nosed, Korean war version by ICM provides me with a spare turret-less bottom part I can rob for my B-26B. Still have some nice 13th BS Bombshell decals bought long ago.

1/72 F-84E Thunderjet in the well known colors of the 9th Fighter Bomber Squadron. Almost an OOB build. Beside the little work to backdate Tamiya´s F-84G I´d like to put markings for Mike Rebo´s "FS-549-C" on it.

1/48 F-51D Mustang of No. 77 Sqn Royal Australian Air Force. I don´t expect problems coupling an Eduard Mustang with left over decals from Airfix´F-51D kit.

1/48 F-86F Sabre of 2 Squadron South African Air Force. It will need some effort to backdate Academy´s F-86 wings. Decals by Aeromaster.

1/72 B-29A Superfortress 28th BS, 19th BG. Out of the box kit with Aeromaster decals for South Sea Sinner.

1/48 F4U-4 Corsair of VMF-212. Back to Corsairs! To contrast my initial Corsair, this particular bird is a very early dash-four Corsair. It is still fitted with a rounded windshield and small canopy already seen on F4U-1Ds before. Therefore I throw a Hasegawa -4 (again), a Tamiya -1D, Resin wheels, an Aires cockpit and some spare decals together. Let´s see how it works (if I ever start it ;-)).

1/48 F-84E Thunderjet of 27th FEG´s CO. Revell kit plus Cutting edge decals.

1/48 F-80C Shooting Star. Monogram´s oldie but goldie kit with 35th FBS markings from Aeromaster.

Let´s have a nice time, guys!

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 3 years, 9 months ago:

That's a great assortment, I reckon this thread will get plenty of mileage.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 9 months ago:

A very nice selection and quite ambitious Wolfgang. Looking forward to the start of these projects.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Quite a selection - loads of interesting planes. And with almost 3 years to go the lot of them can actually be built in this GB. I'll tune in when you start them Wolfgang / @wolf21379!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Hello Wolfgang.

This sounds like a great plan. I am also planning to build a Mike Rebo F-84. He was a childhood friend of my Dads. Just recently they positively identified his remains and he was repatriated back to the US. He was listed as missing in action since 1953, but he was actually shot down and killed by a Russian MiG-15 pilot in November of 1951.

Do you have any pictures of his plane ? I have asked in the past and didn’t know if anything else has surfaced since then.

Like you I have a few Corsair projects scheduled to be built and a 1/48 scale Monogram B-29 is also in the works.

Please keep us posted and thanks for joining us. I’m glad that you accepted the invitation.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Andrew/ @pb_legend ! The mileage of this thread will strongly depend on capability and endurance...
    Chuck @uscusn and Erik @airbum, thanks, too.

• Profile Photo

Louis @lgardner, unfortunately, I have no further information. Honestly, the idea to do Mike´s bird came because of reading your request. I haven´t got much more than the serial number, pics of contemporary sister ships and some educationed guess.

• Profile Photo

The starting point of my first entry is here:

In 2018 a friend gave me a decal sheet with quite attractive markings for a Black Sheep Corsair. After some research I realised that many F4U-4B birds sported an extra raised canopy. This canopy detail is normally associated with later versions of the Corsair but generally ignored when talking about dash-four Corsairs. Long story short, my interest had been sparked!

First step for my late model F4U-4B was to determine the differences (and similarities ) of both the old Hasegawa (ex Mania) F-4U-4 kit and the newer Hasegawa F4U-5/F4U-7 kit(s) in their general shape. Of course I knew I had to preserve the specific -4 areas, especially the cowling and bottom of the fuselage. But the idea was to use as much of the F4U-5/F4U-7 kit as possible.

The old kit always looked a bit too chunky to me. Another reason to use the -5/-7 fuselage.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 3 years, 9 months ago:

The engineer in me loves how you've trace out the profiles and how you're making selections based on more than just eye-balled looks. Great start!

• Profile Photo

A decision had to be made where (and how) the dash 5 cowling is to be replaced by its dash 4 equivalent. A straight, perpendicular cut just in front of the wings seemed to be the best option, because only here the diameter of both fuselages were nearly identical. I started with the left side.

In this phase, an other issue came to surface. Until then I haven´t paid attention to a shape difference I have to deal with. While the F4U-4s forward fuselage resembles a nearly tube-like shape, the -5/-7 sides feature a coke-bottle shape instead. I tried to get the -5/-7 fuselage into a -4 shape, with a deep cut, styrene, glue, clamps and brute force.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Hi Wolfgang @wolf21379, welcome to this GB!
    What a great assortment you got there. Very interesting subjects, to say the least!
    Some serious engineering is involved at your first project.
    Looks atractive already, please sign me in!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros @fiveten! Since I have a clear picture of the end result but still lack an A-Z plan to follow, it is more a try and error minefield I´m walking through. I look forward to the things to come 😉

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Hello again Wolfgang. @wolf21379
    I like how you are modifying the Corsair to suit your needs. Plastic is like metal, it can be persuaded into different shapes. This is a great use for an empty CO-2 cartridge...Sometimes brute force is just what is needed to get the job done. If I happen to stumble across any photos of Mike Rebo's F-84 Thunderjet, I will send you a copy.

I have several F4U builds scheduled for the Korean War group. One of them will be a VMF-214 "Blacksheep" plane, similar to one you have picked out. It will also have the "WE" tail code.

Thanks for posting the updates.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Louis.
    All meager informations I have lead to a quite standard line jet of the 9th. New infos are always welcome.

The modification work turned out acceptable, at least I have managed to eleminate the curve. Same procedure for the right fuselage half comes next.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

You are doing a splendid work so far, Wolfgang! The mod is a success!