Corsairs, Invaders & more

Started by Wolfgang Rusch · 17 · 3 years ago · B-29, Corsair, F-80, Invader, Mustang, PSP, Sabre, Thunderjet
  • Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Really precise work on the Corsair, Wolfgang. I like the way you have creatively dealt with shape issues as they have arisen.

This is quite a selection of projects and will be fun to watch as they come together. I am especially struck by the SAAF F-86 in Springbok roundels. I had no idea they served in those colors so far from home. Canadian pilots (21 of them), by contrast, all served with the the 4th interceptor Wing of the USAF in Korea in borrowed aircraft rather than using RCAF-marked Canadair Sabres. Oddly enough, Canadian built planes were supplied to the USAF and flown by US pilots, I believe. BTW, I am a Canadian, if that is not obvious 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Wolfgang Rusch said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks, Colin @coling! Let´s call it 'act of desperation'.

I would like to have seen RCAF Sabres in Korean skies as well. Imagine 434 Sqn early blue chevron markings combined with yellow wing bands.
    Had the RCAF brought in an entire unit, like the SAAF or RAAF squadrons or at least flights like the Greek P-47s, I´m sure we would have seen Canadian markings, too. But like other participating military forces like the RAF or the Turkish, they sent just single exchange pilots to be integrated into other units. Their main reason may be gaining combat experience in modern jet warfare rather than increasing the fighting strength of the UN forces significantly.
    Yes you are right, the US ordered ca 60 licence built F-86E-6 from Canadair.