Douglas C-47 Dakota, Royal Hellenic Air Force Korean Detachment (ΕΚ.Σ.Ε.), Airfix, 1/72

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 161 · 3 years ago · 1/72, Airfix, C-47, Hellenic Air Force, Korea The Forgotten War
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

With so many great GBs running, that I joyfully participate, plus some other ongoing modeling projects (plus work, kids and life in general, oh well...)

...my "Greek Korean" C-47 was left unattended for three weeks...

So, here is a restarting update , labelled:

Aerial Madness!

The top aerials configuration of the Greek C-47s (in Korea and in general, to be frank...) proved to be highly undstandardized.

So, actual photo evidence from my specific Dakota ("ΑΡΗΣ -MARS") was used.

Here is the top antenna masts final configuration for my "ΑΡΗΣ".

The hole to receive the middle dorsal antenna was too wide...

No worries! I filled it with liquefied styrene... ...and let the antenna "rest" on the surface!

Here is the fin mini mast installed...

and another mini one at the front, slighty offset to the starboard side...

(Both "minimasts" -lol- made from stretched sprue)

Cheers great "Korean War" GB!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Getting there Spiros !

• Profile Photo

Thanks Allan @kalamazoo!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Almost there, Spiros!

• Profile Photo

Thanks John @j-healy!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Always a pleasure to add all the small bits and pieces I think - the crowning of the work so to speak. Nice update! (and a pleasure to see you make full use of text formats, gives it all that little extra)

• Profile Photo

Kudos to you, my friend @airbum! It was because of you that I learned to use the formats!
    Thanks for liking my Dakota!

• Profile Photo

Weathering time!

Performed a black wash to bring out some engraved details...

...and some weathering/dirtying/oiling/engine staining...
    ...using pastel chalks and extra selective black wash

Actually weathering looks a tad heavier in reality than at the pics, still it is not on the heavy side (I usually don't go for heavy weathering...)
    Painted the prop tips too:

Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Great looking Gooney Bird! I vaguely remember the only flight I had in one - when stationed in England (Bentwaters AFB), and had my eyeball burned by someone who dumped cigar ash in it accidentally at the skeet range clubhouse - airlifted to a hospital somewhere. I was between 3-4 years old at the time.

• Profile Photo

I was 3 MONTHS old when I had my first ride in a C-47...in a basket laid on the floor, held by my Mom, unstrapped of course (both the basket, yours truly and frankly everyone, pilots included - c'mon guys, it was 1966!
    Had a nice ride around Tanagra Air Base during the Air Force Day. Those were the days!
    Thanks for liking Greg @gkittinger!

• Profile Photo

Antenna wires installed, the shorter one to be trimmed and tightened after glue curing...

Here's the characteristic double wiring found at C-47s under the nose (some carried triple wiring, but not "ΑΡΗΣ" by that time...):

As you can see the props were installed. Props, cowling lips and wing walkways were slightly silver drybrushed to look a bit worn...

Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Your C-47 is looking better and better, Spiros (@fiveten). Antennas and aerials are evil, but you make them look easy. I think your Dakota looks great with just a light splash of weathering.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Looking good Spiros.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 7 months ago:

I couldn't agree more with what our good friend George @gblair stated above. You're making what I call a "Goldie Locks" build. It's "just right"...

Somewhere I have photos of a C-47 that belly landed in at the end of one of the runways at New Smyrna airport back in the late 1970's. The ground vegetation area surrounding the plane caught fire, and the plane suffered some minor fire damage as well as the structural damage from the actual landing. Those planes were extremely tough ! If I can find these pictures, I'll scan them and send you copies. I was standing on it's wing...

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friends @gblair, @kalamazoo and @lgardner!

I have seen C-47s stripped down to have PDM (the big maintenance) performed. Having seen their internal structure, I couldn't agree more with your statement of them being tough, Louis!