Fairey Firefly Mk1 Special Hobby 1/48

Started by neil foster · 30 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    neil foster said 3 years, 10 months ago:

I've had this in my stash for a few years waiting for some inspiration so here goes...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

That's a trully great entry, Neil @neil-foster!
    A challenging kit, your great skills will bring the most out of it!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

If you heard a crackle in your headset, that was just me tuning in.

• Profile Photo

Cheers Spiros ,I think it will be a challenge as there is some resin and some PE included and quite a bit of glazing so lots of masking to do ,not my favourite job!
    I took a look at your contribution and it looks great ,I've never seen a Hellenic AF Dakota so it should be interesting to see.
    N.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Excellent pick, Neil. That’s a nice model that I’m sure you’ll enjoy.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Hello Neil, @neil-foster
    Welcome aboard to our ever growing Korean War group. This one is getting bigger by the day. Thank you for picking a great one to build. I have a similar kit, but I purchased mine many years ago.. I'm thinking it was just before or just after the "turn of the Century". Man that sounds like I'm really getting old. It was sometime around 2000 or 2001 when I got mine.

I just pulled mine down from the stash and took a few pictures of it to share with you.

Mine is a Grand Phoenix kit.

Somewhere along the line I picked up an Airwaves PE set that will allow me to build it with the wings folded.

I'll definitely be watching for updates on this one... and who knows, since we have a lot of time before the end of the GB, I might just join you and build up mine too... Time will tell.

Welcome aboard my friend.

• Profile Photo

You're welcome Louis , I will probably build this around other projects seeing as we have so much time but I will post a pictorial update as I go along . This kit has recessed panel lines but they are very fine so I am starting by scribing them deeper in order to take an oil wash at the end.

I know nothing at all about the Korean war so I am hoping to learn a thing or two by the end of the G.B. .You should build your Firefly seeing as you have it on the shelf ,it would look cool with the wings folded.

Cheers for now Neil.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Hi guys, it's been a while ,I've been doing other stuff as well but in-between that I have made a start on the Firefly. I want to make this as good as I can get it (obviously) and am going to highlight the panel lines at the end of the painting process but the panel lines are moulded way to faint to be usable after priming ,painting and varnishing is done so I have re scribed them deeper and then primed up in white to show them, this is where I'm up to...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Looks good, Neil. Mine required very little filling/ sanding. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. Even the resin wheel bay didn’t need a lot of sanding work.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the words of encouragement John.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Really nice and clean job, Neil @neil-foster.
    I bet it will fall together nicely.
    Bring it on, my friend!

• Profile Photo

Cheers Spiros buddy, nice to hear from you .Hope you and yours are keeping well.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

I am looking forward to your build, Neil (@neil-foster). The Firefly is a really cool-looking airplane. I just finished a Special Hobby kit, so be sure you have lots of filler and some good sanding tools.

• Profile Photo

I did a bit of casual dry fitting of fuselage and wing sections and I think you could be right... we'll see, but I think I can make a reasonable job of this I am hoping it will be one of my better efforts as I feel really inspired by this build.
    Cheers Neil.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Hello Neil, @neil-foster
    Looks like you have made some progress. This is a very cool looking airplane. Do you know offhand if the Grand Phoenix kit is the same as your Special Hobby kit ? The more I see posted on your build, the more I am leaning towards building mine up too, as part of the Korean War GB. If I do build mine, then the wings will be folded on it.

I also have a 1/48 Revel F-84 and a 1/48 B-29 in the works... plus a few MIG-15's to finish, and a Yak-9 to do, also in 1/48 scale. Then I have 2 tanks... a Sherman and a Pershing. These have been mostly built.

I have learned a lot on each group build that I have participated in. I think this one will be no exception. Thanks for the updates.