Hasegawa 1/48 F4U-5N

Started by Tom Cleaver · 10 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Bought this "used" on eBay. When it arrived, I found the wing had been assembled and all the parts cut off the sprues and put in plastic bags. Fortunately everything was there, and the wing assembly was OK. That left just the fuselage to take care of, which wasn't hard, other than to apply some Mr. Surfacer over that mold "glitch" in the forward fuselage, sand it smooth and rescribe the area.

I'm going to use the last of my Victory Productions Decals sheet to do the F4U-5N flown off USS Princeton during the Chosin emergency by my friend Admiral Don Shelton. Admiral Shelton (He keeps telling me "Call me Don," and I keep saying "Admiral, you can take the boy out of the Navy, but you can't take the Navy out of the boy. Sir.") is the last of The Originals who created 24/7 all-weather naval aviation - he's just celebrated birthday number 99 and the lights are still 250 watts above the eyebrows, as he puts it. After getting his wings after the war, his first CO in VC-3 was Chick Harmer, and the night fighter organization was run by Captain William Martin, who as CO of VT-10 aboard Enterprise at the time of the Truk Raid created night attack aviation by turning his squadron into a night attack unit. He was Division Leader for the VC-3 detachment on Princeton for the entire tour 1950-51, the longest combat tour of any carrier during the Korean War. His most notable achievement was landing dead-stick at night aboard the ship ("I wasn't wearing a poopy suit, so I couldn't bail out, and I couldn't glide 50 miles to the nearest shore field, so my options were limited."). I think I'll probably give this to him when the covid clears to the point it's safe for us to get together again.

Anyway, here it is, ready to paint.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Wow, what a choice and what a nice story, Tom!
    Those Great Aviators knew how to fly their planes, not letting the planes fly them!
    I love to see already started kits tackled (and finished).
    Good work so far!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 6 months ago:

So, here it is primed with Tamiya "Neutral Grey." I'm going to paint it with Xtracrylix "Gloss Sea Blue" and it's my experience those paints adhere better and stand up to handling better if they get to "grab" a coat of primer when they're applied.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Nice'n'busy, Tom!
    Looks spotless under the primer coating!
    Waiting for your Blue!

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Looking good, Tom!

• Profile Photo
    Jordyn Collier said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Always a soft spot for corsairs.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Here's 3 shots of the completed model.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Wow! Finished!
    And looking amazing, Tom!

• Profile Photo
    Doug Humphrey said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Great looking Corsair. Got to see a similar one up close at a museum in Liberal, KS. What were the flanges, alongside the fuselage and just before the engine cowling for? Also noticed this one has bugle shaped barrel ends on the 20mm's.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Those are to block the flame from the pilot's view at night to prevent making him "blinded by the light."