ICM B-26C Invader, 1/48th scale USAF

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 102 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 8 months ago:

With the M8 progressing, my next project is ICM's new B-26C glass nose variant of the Invader.

About a year ago I did a review when the first kit was release and comparing it to the Monogram kit as well. And no not to beat up the old kit, as they do build up very well despite the shape issue if ya look for it. I built one a long time ago as a B-26K Counter Invader using the Paragon set. Long before there was any reviews about the fuselage shape is a bit off. Honestly it still looks very much like a B-26 Invader as a display model.
    When you lift the cover lid, is a nice sturdy white box with a pop in lid holding the parts.

Pop the lid and the instruction booklet is right on top. In Russian (Ukranian?) and English print.

Color call outs list Tamiya and Revell paint products which is nice, the break down of assembly is similar to Airfix new style of directions. As i go along will see if I run into misindentified parts or awkward parts location.

3 Schemes are available for this kit, a black and 2 bare metal finish. I have a set of decals coming for a black bird. When they arrive I will post them up during the build.

The grey styrene parts are again in one big easy to open bag. Same as before. The clear parts do come in a separate bag with in the bag. They are not loosely moving around as the box is sturdy and movement with in the box is minimal. Still there are some loose parts that have come off the sprues within.

The first sprue (A) contains the fuselage halves, with good interior details and stringers.

The flight deck floor and rear lower turret insert.

Sprue B, is one of 2 sets, upper lower wings, engine nacelles and bomb bay doors.

The engine nacelles show fine detail, engraved panel lines. The wing has the roof of the main gear bays which is nice when the nacelles are assembled which also has some details within. The bay doors have also some nice details.

The next sprue is unique to this kit which contains the clear nose section. The kit still retains the gun nose parts within the base kit.

The forward bulkhead, side consoles, the lower front section of the nose which also includes the clear glazing.

The next sprue contains the engines and cowlings. Propeller, bombs, bomb racks, gun packs, And turrets.

Engine crankcase and cylinders, engine cowling, pushrods and ring, with a bit more that goes with the engine, lots involved when building each engine.

The next 3 sprues, the bay doors, landing gear parts, the extra gun nose, then wings, interior bulkheads and finally rockets and the blank insert used if configure no rear lower turret.
    next Lots of pre painting to do, starting with the Interior Green.

More to follow.

3 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Strapped in and looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks for the inbox detailed preview, Chuck!
    Looks a great kit!
    Waiting for your progress!

• Profile Photo

Eric and Spiros, looks to be a great kit, as we have seen with Tolga's results with his Invader. And watching Louis's progress on his ICM He-111, it looks to be a build that should progress fairly well. This will be my first ever ICM kit to assemble. Looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Wow Chuck !
    This is not only a build journal, but a mini kit review too... and it looks great.

I have to get busy on finishing up my ICM Heinkel 111. It's a great kit, and the problems I had with mine were self induced. It didn't help things at all when I accidentally spilled liquid glue on it...

Sign me up too as watching this one.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis, that He-111 and Tolga's Invader are quite motivational in getting the Invader started. So far it is going well. Your logged in.

• Profile Photo
    Tolga ULGUR said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Hi Chuck
    This is a great kit and fitting is very good.
    Plastic material is soft that s good for sanding etc but the same material on critical parts like landing legs etc may cause problems. On my example, landing legs were not rigid as on Monogram s kit. Especially the front landing gear leg is susceptible to warping due to the weight in the nose .
    Good luck

• Profile Photo

You know Tolga that is a great point. I will look into that. As the plastic used by ICM is very similar to the plastic on the new Airfix kits. At least to me. I will look closer into a solution as I progress.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Tolga @tolgaul brought on a good poiont indeed!

The biggest issue at such cases is the "bent-in" of the single arm nose wheel gear at the point where the arm starts, resulting in an awkward front wheel angle. In such cases, I try to "invisibly" glue the upper part of the wheel to the inner part of the arm. It IS a compromise, but I prefer it to the wrong front wheel angle. At times, I glue the front wheel at an opposite angle, only to rest at "correct" angle with the model weight. Understandably, the above procedures are NOT "by the book", their success varying form OK to hopeless...

I also consider to apply a coat of cyano once, to see if it will help stiffen the weak leg...

Well, just thoughts...

Onto your Invader, Chuck @uscusn!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 8 months ago:

There is a company that makes a replacement metal landing gear, I believe their name is SAC, and you see their products mentioned occasionally on other websites during parts reviews. I'm not sure if they make a set for this kit yet, as it is still very new, but it might be available in the near future. I am looking at a set they make for the 1/48 Monogram B-25J. I'll do a little digging to see what I can find out for you if you are interested.

Another option might be to carefully drill a small hole lengthwise through the strut. Then you could insert a small diameter wire inside the gear strut, effectively making it stronger and less prone to bending. As Spiros has mentioned, you might also want to give the exterior of the strut a light coat of CA glue, to act as an improvised stiffener.

I'm sure that you will come up with a good solution.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Excellent tips guys, I believe SAC already has a set of metal gear for the B-26. They are exact reproductions of the kits gear but in metal instead of plastic, so they are direct replacements. I also have an extra set from a previous Monogram B-26 will check if it's possible to use them, as they do have good details. Either way in the end will have model that will withstand the time of sitting on the shelf without the gear sagging or a wheel snapping off the spindle. That occurs more often with a resin wheel.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Looking forward to this build, Chuck (@uscusn). The last of these were just going to the boneyard when I joined the Air Force. I still have the B model and C model in the Revell/Monogram version.

• Profile Photo

George, that would be in the late 60' or so. I also have the 2 Monogram kits as well, I am contemplating in building the "B" along with this ICM kit. I figure might as well. I have the set of Korean war decals for it and some other mods to help it out a bit.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Hi Chuck,
    I got this kit about 2 weeks ago and I’m really interested in how the clear nose looks. On the old Monogram kit the clear nose is horrible. I haven’t declared yet, but I suspect my Korean War subjects will include 1 to 3 Invaders in various configurations.
    Looking forward to your next update.

• Profile Photo

Hello Rick, welcome, so far it looks good. The clear parts in the kit are close if not just as nice that you would get in a Tamiya kit. No warpage. Once I get to the point I attach the nose to forward section of the fuselage I will then test fit all the clear parts. i am looking forward to when you get started.