ICM B-26C Invader, 1/48th scale USAF

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 102 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 6 months ago:

That photo-etch looks fantastic even in unforgiving super close up, Chuck. Your Invader will be very impressive buttoned up. With all that detail observed by the unaided human eye it will look like the real deal. Very clean work so far in getting everything well lined-up and attached. Great work.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Your right Colin, the Mk1 eyeball does have it's limitations when looking at what looks good after attaching all that PE. Then when you take the pics, and get those close ups. Bit off here, misaligned there not by much, but the camera catches it.
    Getting back into the cockpit. Will work on the LH side panel. 1st removing the details before attaching the PE electrical boxes and panels.

A few items to add to enhance the LH side details. Which involves several pieces that really helps the overall business on that side of the panel.

Seems a bit more into the ICM Invader compared to what was added to the Monogram kit.

The rear gunners compartment has separate reinforcement braces that attach to each fuselage side. On the Monogram kit these are moulded into the fuselage halves. Only the LH brace has some electrical components added.

Then each brace is installed into each fuselage half.

Now to add the belts to the pilots seat.

I test fit the flight deck into the LH fuselage half. So far so good.

Finally the pump lever is attached to the RH side of the center console.

Next to work on the weapons bay.

More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

That's your usual wonderful work, Chuck!
    Cockpit looks amazing, and I will not say again how much I love those PEs!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Wait till ya see the Monogram update.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Next is to work on the bomb bay.

The ICM bomb rack is rather simple and devoid of any details. The bombs are good. I painted them yellow mask off the yellow stripes and will repaint them OD.

Working the LH side half first, I attach the 2 bomb racks. Will paint these later on during the build.

Before attaching the bombs, I place the center bulkhead/wingspar in position on the LH side of the fuselage.

A quick test fit to check the alignment before attaching the bombs.

The 4 bombs are assembled.

Then as mentioned painted yellow and then masked off and painted with OD. Also prepped some other bombs for another build in progress

Next is to remove the tape to reveal the stripes. Then the fuses painted aluminum.

After painting the racks interior green, 1 bomb is placed on the lower station of each rack.

Next is to install the LH side nose bay door and interior wall is one piece, and a nice touch on otherwise difficult attachment point if the door was a separate piece.

Next up is to add the final pair of bulkheads, add the details to the RH side of the fuselage and button her up. More to follow...

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

I suppose only very few people will crawl under your plane to check the number of bombs Chuck. 🙂
    Nice touch with the door solution they made on the kit @uscusn.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Wow, Chuck, my friend @uscusn, what a mini project the bomb bay was! And it turned out extremely well, as the rest of your build.
    The one piece wall/door is indeed one extra touch and one less headache!
    PS I cannot sop glazing at THAT cockpit (ok, your Monogram's is better, but this one is also AMAZING!)

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Erick, normally I would leave the bay empty, but with the doors open and the ICM racks are rather bland and lacking of detail, having the bombs in place is the way to go in this case. Once it's finished will try to limit the amount of time it gets picked up over the next few years.
    Spiros, it was but a bit disappointed the lack of detail on the bomb racks compared to the ones used on the Monogram kit.
    With the bombs on the LH side of the fuselage now attached. Next is to install the bulkheads.
    The rearward wingspar which is also divides the weapons in front and rear section is inserted in place, then the back wall of the weapon bay as well.

Internal brace is for the RH side fuselage half is next attached right below the rear window opening.

Next the rear bulkhead is installed.

The bombs are then placed on the RH side bomb racks.

A wash is applied along the RH side internal braces and stringers.

The fuselage halves are then test fitted to check alignment.

The fit from the cockpit back is very good, the interior components and bulkheads are in line.

The nose cockpit area not that great as I can see I will have an issue with the glass nose when that comes up.
    A hole is drilled just aft the RH cockpit opening.

The RH rear observer's window is attached. this fits very well in the opening and not thick.

Next some final interior details before buttoning up the fuselage.

more to follow

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Nice use of the sparse details in the kit Chuck (@uscusn). looking OK busy I think.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

I agree with Erik, Chuck @uscusn!
    Love the innards painting and washing!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Eric, yes ICM has just enough details to that really helps though not as much as the well appointed Monogram kit. The one thing that Monogram was really good for were their interiors were well detailed right out of the box.

• Profile Photo

This step is to add the final details on the RH side fuselage and get it buttoned up.

The jump seat on the RH side of the cockpit is for an observer there are no controls on this side of the cockpit.

A bit different in shape and size compared to what the Monogram has on their Invader. It mounts on the side of the fuselage and looks as if may even fold up.

Next is the RH side nose bay door.

With that I carefully slip the RH side fuselage half, inserting the wingspars through the slots, closing the halves together in place all the bulkhead are aligned, the flight deck is level.

Working from the nose back to tail, apply Tamiya quick dry cement on the center top seam. Then over the tail, down under and work the bottom seam all the way back to the nose.

Letting the cement set. So far so good.

18 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Looking great, Chuck @uscusn, taking gradually its shape!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

With the fuselage assembled, tailfeathers on, it has reached a major milestone. Keep it comin' Chuck (@uscusn)

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Now to build the glass nose section. Been looking forward to this part of the build.

The center lower panel and floor of the bombardier station.

The floor and lower panel are assembled. The PE floor enhancement piece is also attached.

LH side wall and console panel.

Interior Green is painted over the LH side console with one of several PE electrical boxes installed.

ICM uses a step by step approach in assembling the nose station. Similar to how the new Airfix instructions are set up.

The fuselage nose bulkhead is attached into the main fuselage.

The Rh side wall and console is assembled and the PE bits as well.

The completed floor section is then attached to the RH side panel. The seat is painted Khaki Drab and the rest is Interior Green.

Then the foreward armored plate is attached.

Next up is the bombsight.

The LH side panel and console is assemble and PE bits installed as well.

Now to attach the completed assy to the nose of the fuselage. First attaching the RH side panel and floor and let it set and make adjustments. Not the best fit and will need some filler.

Next the LH side wall is attached at the rear first and work my way forward. The initial fit was awful.
    Leaving a wide chasm at the front edge. Scary at first and had to sit back and take a breath. And work on something easier.

I will show it in the next series. In that the ICM plastic not being brittle and a bit flexible in nature, I was able to fix that by simply just closing the gap and hit it with quick drying cement and then hold it with some clamps with out breaking anything and let it sit over night. Whew...

Next up the wings, more to follow.