ICM B-26C Invader, 1/48th scale USAF

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 102 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

The detailing is excellent and will definitely show through the glass, Chuck @uscusn!
    Those PEs really made a difference. Good that the ICM styrene behaved and saved the day!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Yes Spiros it will, the glass from the ICM kit is crystal clear, so the details will be seen quite clearly. Yeah I must've goofed somewhere around the nose where the cockpit floor somehow is causing the very front lower seam to split. Which of course affects the fit of the nose section. I fixed it, but extra work with putty is going to have to done now.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

That was some serious PE'ing Chuck!

• Profile Photo

Yes Erik quite a bit of detail that really will show through the crystal clear glazing.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Chuck, that ICM kit really looks quite well detailed, but anyone with AMS can push the envelope even further. Those PE parts are (for the most parts at least) a fine addition to detail. As a side note, just how big is the model when comparing to the 188 for instance? Looking at the photos I find myself surprised by how big it apparently is

• Profile Photo

Hi Pedro, you know it is about the same size, other than that the Ju-188 has much more slender fuselage , the wings as well compared to the broader fuselage and wings of the Invader. Will get them side by side on an upcoming update.

• Profile Photo

Next is to assemble the wings.

First to drill out the holes for rocket stub mounts.

Next the oil cooler intake is next to install to the lower wing half. One for each side.

Next to assemble the wings.

The wings have separate flaps and ailerons. Which will allow to display the flaps dropped if you wish.

The fit is good here when mating upper and lower halves.

Nice that the wing tip lamps are separate clear parts not molded in.

Finally to attach the wings to the fuselage. Slip into the wing spars set dihedral and a good fit as well.

The contact points of wing to fuselage is positive and will last for years, no stress to that point nor to the fuselage. Wings are not heavy, and even once the engines nacelles are completed it should not be an issue.

Next to assemble the nacelles/wheel bays.

more to follow.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

These wings seem nicely assembled and attached to the fuselage, my friend @uscusn!
    The oil coolers look nice and with good "depth" look

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Your workbench has been invaded!? Starting to look very much like a plane here. Good progress to get those wings there.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years ago:

Thanks Spiros, Just methodically getting this project together, first ICM kit, some challenges, but that's the fun part.
    Thanks Erik, yes several ongoing projects.
    It has been awhile in fact a month working on the ICM Invader, so a bit of an update.
    Will be working on the nacelles.

Normally these interior bits would have been already pre painted Interior Green, but at the start I had ran out as there was a lot to paint IG. Figured I would just get to this point and then paint whatever needed to get painted. Rear and front wheel bay walls.

The forward wall is attached within the LH side of the engine/wheel bay nacelle.

Then the rear wall is attached. I then assemble the other side.

At this point I then airbrush interior green.

The nacelles assembled without any problems. Good alignment and the details are good.

Attaching them to the wings not so great but nothing terrible. The lower join to the wing is good.

However the top rear join to the wing does have a bit of a gap.

Both nacelles have good contact points under the wing. But a gap on top at the rear join.

While talking about filler. I work on the rear lower fuselage seam with some Tamiya putty.

Also some putty on the horizontal stabs as well.

The cavernous engine nacelles allow for some nose weight to keep the nose down. Some lead fishing weights will do the trick. Kept in place with Super glue.

Once the cement set, the forward engine fire walls are installed.

These are just a bit wide not much and not much for locating pins. Just the engine locating slot facing in the correct position is the best way to have them installed correctly.

Once they are on, the Invader is taking shape.

Next up to install the glass on the nose and the gunners scope in the rear compartment.

more to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

That's some nice progress, my friend @uscusn!

Love all the details! The fishing weights look well affixed there: I try to install them at engine bays and not at the fuselage whenever possible. I believe this way more weight is "taken" by the main gear, partly relieving the at times sensitive nose gear (I might be right, I might be wrong 🙂 ).

Love the engine rear walls, too: I bet they will look very realistic with the engine installed.

Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

Starting to look like a B26 - some good progress here @uscusn! I like your special tool to elevate the work a bit from the bench - very hightec 🙂
    That is some heavy ballast to prevent tailsitting. I suppose you have a stock (at least here in Denmark, lead is no longer used for hunting/fishing in any shape)

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years ago:

Spiros, what was once a pretty light twin engine bomber (ICM plastic is not thick) is now quite heavy with the weights. Believe it or not most of the weight will bear on the nose gear. Tolga thought as much that the ICM gear may not withstand the weight over time. My Tigercat even with the white metal nose strut is bending.

Thanks Eric, yes she is getting there. Yep improvising any kind of stand to keep the work off the table. So far lead fishing weights are still in use here despite the new technology in fishing these days. I stock up on a variety of them for different scales. Buy a few after a quick stop at the sporting goods store.

Next is to build the turrets. This scheme will have the rear lower turret mounted. Though there is an option for the rear turret to be deleted. Depends on the scheme you wish to build.

Will start with the top turret.

ICM's design really a bit more detail, but their way of assembly is not in my opinion as well thought as how Monograms turrets assemble. This time simple is much better.

The top turret, has the barrels slip into the flexible mantles and then slip into a slot on the turret cover.

Next to build the upper turret electric feed and drive assembly.

Here again Monogram has better details compared to the more complex ICM version.

The feed belt housing is mounted on the base.

The support brace is next attached to the base of the turret. These will be painted Interior Green

The turret ring is then placed at the top of the turret base

Next is to attach the turret assembly to the top roof panel of the fuselage.

Again Monogram makes this a much simpler process. ICM have you sandwich the turret and ring to the hole in the roof panel. But the contact point is not so positive that when cementing the top turret to the base of the turret base assy, where it is exposed to the roof panel thus making the fit really tight to allow the turret to rotate. So I ended up just having it secure in place with the guns facing rearward. The barrels are still able to elevate.

Finally the upper roof panel is attached to the upper fuselage section. Will have to clean up the seam on both sides. won't be difficult to clean up.

With the top turret installed, next to work on the nose clear nose blister and rear lower turret.

more to follow

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Nice job on that turret, my friend @uscusn!
    Yes, I too believe that Monogram have a more solid solution there.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 9 months ago:

There is very little contact point for the lower portion of the turret to contact the dome and then try to sandwich the upper fuselage panel between them is won't work for me on this one. So the top turret will have the guns facing forward.