ICM B-26C Invader, 1/48th scale USAF

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 102 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks Louis and Spiros, getting down to finally start painting this Invader, long term project.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 2 months ago:

I was going to update the wing mounted guns on the leading edge of the wings. The ICM provided ones are not correct in shape. But the Quick boost update I didn;t care fore either, so I will just add the gun pods instead and delete the guns mounted on the wings. So just installed the plain leading edge inserts sans guns.

Next is to install the cowl flaps. 4 parts on each cowl.

These did fit well on the nacelles butting up against the cowlings. Nice engineering design by ICM for this stage.

With some black paint already airbrushed on the fuselage lower and side surfaces.

Next is to airbrush the overall black scheme. Red tipped tail, horizontal stabs and wings. The engine cowlings will have a Red scallop pattern also applied.

More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Some nice progress, Chuck @uscusn

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Nice progress indeed, my friend @uscusn!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Really looking forward to the all-black with bits of red!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks John and Spiros finally getting this project closer to the end.
    Erik thanks, nice to have you back on board, the black and red will be a bit of a chore, especially a glossy black finish that I hope to be able mottle it a bit in lack for a better term.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Using Lifecolor Gloss Black overall. Trying to get the right mixture to get a more glass like finish is not easy. And ended up with a semi gloss with some orange peel. Will work on that.

What I will do is take some NATO Black, and hit some panels randomly.

Will let the black set overnight and mask off for the red wing tips and tails.

The cowls I will leave for now. I have a different approach for them when I do the scallop design.

I use Tamiya Red to paint the wing tips, top of the rudder and horizontal stab tips.

I ended up painting the cowls overall red and will mask them off in a scallop design and refinish gloss black.

At this time I decided to assemble and install the gun pods under the wings. When I refinish the cowls, I will paint these gloss black as well.

Next up is to finish the scallops and refinish the gloss black hopefully limit the orange peel.

More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Solid progress, my friend @uscusn!
    Looking good!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Very nice progress, Chuck @uscusn
    Looking forward to the scallop looks.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years ago:

Thanks Spiros and John. Long term project on a first time building an ICM kit, so a bit more methodical on this Invader, especially with the glass nose version which is quite prominent on this version.
    Now to mask off the leading edges of the engine cowlings to create the scallop design.

Next using Tamiya Semi gloss black to airbrush the exposed sections black. Also at this time I painted the gun pods as well.

Next is to clear coat the overall air frame again with future and get it to a better finish glossy coat. The Red Scallops are glossy red. The uneven look is what I hoped to get as these didn't fade like the Marine Corsairs and Tigercats that really got flat in appearance. The Air Force tended to keep up on the finish on the Black Invaders and Twin Mustangs using period photos in theatre.

The clear did leave a better clear coat finish to start the decal process.

Now to let the Future clear coat set and start on the decals.

More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years ago:

Coming together nicely, my friend @uscusn!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years ago:

Awesome progress, Chuck @uscusn

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Well time to get back in the saddle and lets start back up on the ICM Invader. Starting on the lower surfaces. First the national markings and USAF on the lower wing surfaces.

Using the Micro Scale system of Micro Set and Micro Sol to apply the decals which reacted perfectly. As they set the decal snuggles into the panel lines.

Stenciling on the side of the nacelles.

Not much underneath, over the top, along with the national markings, USAF and wing walks.

Next applying the side markings, starting from the tail to nose, on the LH side.

Next to apply the yellow glass markings, which only appeared on the Black scheme Invaders.

Don't do too many schemes with nose art, but this is a special build and needs a bit of glamour, why not a damsel that is not so risqué in appearance. On the RH side the unit mascot with a bit of color.

Next was the exhaust stains, Tan was applied which can get quite heavy along the top, sides and bottom streaking all the way to trailing edge. After finishing up the Monogram B-26, I decided not to go so heavy, but just enough to get the feel of a well used B-26 in service and flying daily sorties.

After the tan was applied, I went over the center of each streak with some Tamiya Smoke.

I hope that I was able to capture that effect. The stains blending slightly really covering the black paint.

Next a glossy clear coat was applied to seal the decals.'

Next up remove the masks, a bit more weathering.

More to follow

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 11 months ago:

What a great comeback, my friend @uscusn!
    our Invader looks superb so far!
    Indeed the initial silvering looked scary.
    Micro set/sol were ample performers, as usual.
    Love the nose art of course!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Excellent progress, Chuck @uscusn
    Great to see you back at the bench again.