LT-6G Mosquito "Night Train" – 1/48 Revell (Monogram) T-6 Texan

Started by Andrew H · 39 · 2 years ago · AT-6, Harvard, North American, T-6, Texan
  • Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 3 years, 10 months ago:

My first throw of the hat with this group build will be something simple, but not without a few modifications. I found this kit for $6, and a set of Aeromaster decals for just a bit more, both at a LHS.

The kit I've chosen is Revell's boxing of the old Monogram T-6 Texan, albeit the "Reno Racer" version. I will of course not be building up a racer, but instead, a USAF LT-6G, specifically "Night Train" of the 6149th TCS(A). This is a fairly interesting scheme for a humble yet interesting aircraft.

The kit itself is not too bad, as the interior is pretty well detailed, and the raised surface details (panel lines, rivets, fabric) are simply "OK", but perhaps worth a re-do. The kit is molded in red, but I'll only have to live with that for so long.. As far as converting to an LT-6G goes, I've some research to do yet, but from what I can tell, the LT didn't have a cowling MG, nor one in the rear... Neither which are included in the kit, so I'm off to a positive start I suppose.

I started this this morning on a whim, and made great progress on the interior. For whatever reason (I don't know really) I started the kit by decided that the rear bulkhead needed more detail, and got out some styrene, and began cutting and modifying. I made a few other changes to the interior, such as the rudder pedals, before deciding to pull some interior details from a paint mule Mustang I've had laying around. One such detail was the NAA seat, and some radio and control switches. I will also be using the wheels, are lack luster and have a solid hub. I don't know how accurate the radio behind the rear seat is, but I'm also not sure how visible it will be...

So far, I've only gotten the Interior Green sprayed, but next up I'll be detailing further, and maybe adding a few more wire details here and there. More pics to come!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

That's a wonderful entry, Andrew H @pb_legend!

A great classic kit, that will turn out as a superb "Korean War" bird.

I loved your modifications and that Mustang ripoff! Haha! I'm sure this Mustang is not very happy now!

But your Texan is, its cokpit looking convincingly busy.

Love the red styrene too!

Waiting in anticipation, as I have two Occidentals unbuilt, so, who knows?

All the best, my friend; your Texan looks great already!

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Purty. Nice beginning with the mods. The red sprues gave me a slight flash-back to when I built Revell's 1:48 F-104 Tiger Meet last year with its screaming yellow sprues

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years, 10 months ago:

A great choice!

• Profile Photo

Thanks! Cockpit is progressing well, but in the mean time, I dug up some memories.. I built this kit probably 20 years ago... Don't be too judgmental now.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Some great progress made today!

I'll let the pics do most the talking, but I'll also add that I cut the kit seat up to use as a cushion for the P-51 seat, and added P-51 cockpit floor (wing top one) below the kit's cockpit pieces for more visual interest (but just don't look too hard 😉 ).

In these mock ups, one can see how much the re-worked rear bulkhead dresses up the rear of the cockpit. Also, I thinned down the sides of the rear seat to get rid of the blocky look it had.

Cheers! I probably won't get in much more in on this build until next week. Still to be done on the cockpit is the custom front seat mounting, seat harnesses and instrument panel detail and install...

@blackadder57, I just looked up the F-104 you mentioned.. good gracious what was the logic there... it's so bright!

@fiveten, I agree that it looks "convincingly busy" as you say.. and that is a great thing!

Rob, thanks!

6 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

That's a wonderful progress Andrew H @pb_legend!
    This is a super cockpit!
    Waiting for your next installment next week or so!
    P.S. Your past build looks really sweet. A great model too!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

What a great choice - always good when these small overlooked participants anywhere are getting some attention, and what a way to go! I like your details and the "parts harvest" from the paint mule and all. I'll be tuned in here @pb_legend.

• Profile Photo

Thanks all!

Pics do the talking here, for the most part. Fuselage together... I scratch built the rear instrument panel hood. From what I gather, the G model had a more squared off hood than the rounded one in the kit. Also can see the belts and seats installed. Prisma pencils for the green and silver.

Let me know what you think..

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Beautiful progress, Andrew! Here's one that I did maybe more than twenty years ago, likewise don't look to close.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 10 months ago:

An overlooked Monogram kit that was produced with much less fanfare than the Devastators, Airacobra kits of the day. Despite the red plastic, it is typical Monogram with just enough detail to work with and enhance in ways to improve the overall build to your taste. The subject is one I have not seen before so this is a real treat. So far your doing some really good work Andrew. Well done.

• Profile Photo

Looks great @pb_legend!

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Cool! Looks just like the one I have... 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Well, thanks in part to Jamie's inspiration from his near identical Monogram T-6G project, and due to getting some older projects off the bench, I have finally made some big strides on the bird.

First things is... within the week following my last post above, I finished the engine, and installed the wings and tail stabilizer planes.

For the engine, the only thing I did was add ignition wires using conductor strands from some spare wire.

Next for the wings.. Prior to assembly I painted the wheel wells and flap wells, just to ensure that all crevasses are painted, with no red styrene showing through.

In the rear, I installed a tail wheel from a spare P-51, as it had both more detail, and looked more true to pictures than what Monogram provided. This can be seen in later pics. Monogram's signature, since removed..

Wing fitment was not too bad, however, I had to tape the wingtips over-top the fuselage to ensure the correct dihedral and keep the wing roots from having too much a gap, as I didn't want to risk destroying raised details in the cleanup process. No big deal...

Following this, the kit was packed up and set aside. This past week and today, I brought it back out and have since sprayed Tamiya X-1 (I finally figured out how to spray this without it drying between brush and plane... love it now!)...

...Vallejo White Aluminum on top of that, then a with sufficient time to dry, a layer of X-22 Clear on top...

I've also gotten 90% of the remaining pieces painted, just need detailed.

Next up though, once the X-22 is dry.. Decals!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Looking great, Andrew!
    Gone is the red!
    Engine looks beautiful, too!