LT-6G Mosquito "Night Train" – 1/48 Revell (Monogram) T-6 Texan

Started by Andrew H · 39 · 2 years ago · AT-6, Harvard, North American, T-6, Texan
  • Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks Spiros! Gone, and forgotten! 😉

Couldn't resist getting some decals set tonight. These Aeromaster Decals lay down very well, which eases my nerves a bit about doing the Red/White/Blue wing tips. Still, If all else fails in this regard, it would be easy enough to paint them.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Who can resist applying decals on such a nicely painted NMF?
    Gorgeous looks, @pb_legend!

• Profile Photo

Quick update... So the wing tip decals were a no-go. With more patience, they probably would have settled ok, but I couldn't seem to get them soft enough. Fortunately, the pattern is extremely simple to paint, once I was able to mix up something close enough to the "insignia blue"-ish color. As you can see, I only have the red wingtips and black anti-glare to paint... then, sealing and final details!

I'm still masking the canopy as well, updates with that later.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 2 months ago:

One final small thing to do @pb_legend - apply a flat coat to the fabric control surfaces, which will look like the aluminum dope they were painted. Give an overall satin coat to the rest and you will have the painted aluminum lacquer finish the airplane was in.

Nice to see proof once again that the Monogram T-6 is really the best kit of this airplane. Having been around plenty of them over the past 50 years, the fact Monogram did all the detail with raised lines and rivets makes it look right.

• Profile Photo

Looking great @pb_legend!
    Indeed the raised detail looks "right".

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Very nice result here Andrew. Looking forward to the next post on this one.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Looking good Andrew, especially like the added cockpit detail. Did a Mosquito last October and added some rockets, which are not exactly correct but do add interest. Keep up the good work

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks gents.

Tom, I had planned a satin or diluted matte finish but hadn't considered the doped surfaces.. thanks!

Indeed a nice kit... Especially for the price!

Tom, love your T-6, quite a unique scheme. I'll likely do the same with the rockets... Good enough to fit the scheme, but not nearly accurate.

• Profile Photo

Pardon the mess..

Wing tips are painted and done. I've yet to apply an more varnish, but I was using panel line accent on the wheel wells, and well, it leaked to the top of the wings.. and I've since gotten a bit carried away. Much of this will, of course, be cleaned up. Also, a post-varnish weather is still planned.

• Profile Photo

Looking great, my friend @pb_legend!
    And I love that mess too!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Mess - what mess? That is a very clean and tidy table 🙂

• oh and the plane looks great.
  • Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 3 years, 2 months ago:

My my my, such a beautiful build. I just read through the thread and it was a pleasure to see the transition from garish red to aluminum finish. You've done an excellent job so far. And I like how you are using what's needed to dress up the less detailed areas. This is what modeling is all about in my opinion. Thanks for sharing the build.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Andrew - @pb_legend - I'm just catching up with this. Having done more than my share of these kits over the past 40 years, you are doing one of the best I have seen. This is looking really good, and choosing the one made with red plastic makes the achievement even more.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Tom @tcinla, thank you, I appreciate the kind comments! I have to say it's funny you should comment, as I'm almost finished with your Mig Alley book. Great work, and refreshing to read a well researched book and learn about the Korean War, which is so often overlooked. It's inspired me to try harder to get to my Monogram F-80 and F-84G, along with my Hasegawa F-86F before this GB is through.

I've not got much in the way of updates, other than to say the prop is on, as is the landing gear, the satin finish, and the black anti-glare. It's basically waiting for some final details (including rockets), but mainly I'm waiting on some Montex masks. It really wouldn't be difficult to use cut Tamiya tape, given the simple shape of most of the panes, and the prominent framing, but I'm just not really into the hassle at the moment. Unfortunately I ordered the masks with an ICM OV-10A preorder kit, so it'll be a while before this one is finished up.

I'll post some of the latest updates in the next week sometime. Thanks for following!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 1 month ago:

@pb_legend - thanks for the nice words on MiG Alley.