N. Korean T-34/85 Tank, Academy 1/35th Scale.

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 40 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks Spiros, this is my 1st Academy tank (only other Academy armor piece is a Humvee), so from past experience with their A/C kits and the Humvee I expected a decent experience in getting this together without much fuss. So far so good.
    Thanks Eric, as the build progresses, it is beginning to look like a T-34.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 9 months ago:

This step is to work on the rear upper deck.

Academy gives you a choice of using the rear screen all in plastic or with a PE screen. I went with the PE option.

Carefully removing the grille screen from the PE sprue. Quite thin and bends easily.

The grille will be placed toward the rear upper deck of the hull

The screen is attached to the engine cover with Cyano cement, Then the assembly is placed on ther rear deck.

The rear service hatch is then prepped and attached in place on the rear plate.

The tool box is then attached on RH side above the fender.

A bit vague on placement are the rear fuel tank support brackets. May have to fix this later they do not look right .

Finally the exhaust stacks and shields are then placed on the rear plate.

Next up more details to add on the upper hull..
    more to follow

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Nice job on the PE, as well as the rest "details", my friend @uscusn!
    Good that the PE could be easily bent, as, judging from its "steel" looks, I expected it to be difficult to bend, per the (early, at least) Trumpeter PE!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks Spiros, just that one bit of detail enhancement does goes a long ways.
    Continuing with the details on the upper hull.

First to assemble the fuel tanks. But will attach them at a later time of the build. First the 3 side mounted tanks. 1 on the LH side and a pair on the right.

4 pieces make up the longer side tanks. Quick to assemble.

Next the 2 smaller tanks that mount on the back side of the hull above the exhausts.

Next the storage box that mounts on front part of the left fender rail.

Once assembled it is then placed on the LH side of the hull.

Next is the forward defensive gun mounted on the front plate.

Then attached in the opening on the RH side front plate. The barrel will be attached later.

And now the side grab rails. 4 on the LH side of the hull are attached.

Next more details to add to the upper hull.
    More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Great details added, my friend @uscusn! Gradually coming along!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Hi Spiros a bit more left to do over the top.

Will attach the fuel tanks towards the end of the build for now. But will attach the rear fender extensions.

Both attach at the adjacent to the rear hull place on each side.

Next more grab rails are attached along the RH topside of the hull and rear deck.

A bit more to add before we get to the turret. Some bits at the front.

Slowly beginning to get the unique T-34 look.

Next checking out the tracks that are moulded in a gun metal steel color. These are all steel with no rubber pads.

So for a bit of working some weathering in a light wash of rust is applied from Mig. Also using a silver prisma color pencil to scuff up the raised edges and guides.

Will install these later on in the build and will enhance the weathering a bit more once they are installed. Just a teaser for now.

More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Coming along wonderful, my friend @uscusn!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Starting to look more and more like a Lada - sorry, T-34. The PE will add a lot to the looks of this one.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros and Erik, the fit overall is good so far. Nice to not worry about seam work or putty. Just get it together and paint it. Though the track assembly process will be something to look forward too.

• Profile Photo

This step is to assemble the turret. This is a 112 production tank with the late style turret with the dual vents on top. Though reading up on a couple of reference books tanks used in Korea, there are few images of T-34's with the early style turret as well. The kit provides both turrets.

The cast texture is a nice touch from Academy. The base of the barrel mount and lower turret is assembled.

The design of the turret when assemble hides the seam very well. No worry in filling any seam or putty needed on the turret.

Next the vent caps are attached to the top of the turret.

The cupola ring is next to be installed, this version is a bit taller than the earlier style turret.

The tank commanders split hatch will be in the closed position.

Of course the typical let see how it looks with the turret. A portion of the track is temporarily placed on the road wheels for extra effect.

Next is to add more parts to the turret.

Next is the loaders hatch, 1 piece simple round hatch.

The gun mantle inspection cover is next placed in front top section of the turret.

Finally the gun mantle is attached to the mount. The fit is excellent and allow the barrel elevate. The is not loose. Which is nice, not to worry about a sagging gun barrel over time.

Next add the final details on the turret and gun barrel.

More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Now to add the final details to the turret and install the barrel.

A pair of side vents that I presume may be what these pieces are mount on each side of the turret.

Next 4 lifting hook mounts are installed in each corner of the turret.

Next up a set of rails are then attached to the turret, a total of 3, one each side and one on the rear of the turret.

Finally a set of 6 brackets are then attached to the rear of the turret.

Now with the details all installed, a quick look of the T-34 with the turret in place on the upper hull.

Next to install the barrel. It is molded as one piece in styrene.

The barrel slips neatly into place on the mantle. And it does not droop. Nice tight but smooth fit when elevating or depressing the barrel.

Another couple of images with the turret in place.

Next to add the some more pieces to the upper hull and get ready to paint.
    More to follow

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Coming along nicely, Chuck (@uscusn). I don't do much armor, mainly because I hate the individual track links that are in most kits now. The link and length in this kit is a good compromise. This appears to be a pretty good kit. Looking forward to the rest of the build.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Nice progress, my friend @uscusn!
    Looking great already, with all these details added.
    Looking forward to see it painted.

• Profile Photo

Thanks George, you know that is one fact you are correct on, the tracks, mostly I have been avoiding those really "state of the art" kits with super detailed parts which includes the multi piece tracks. The approach that Academy takes with this kit is a taste of that. Yet not so difficult, the next tank i will be working on will be a test. As it has a resin track to assemble so that will be a task to look forward too, yeesh.

Thanks Spiros, this kit is good in detail and fit so far. Will be working on the tracks pretty soon. That will be an adventure.

• Profile Photo

This session getting back to an idle T-34, is work on the front part of the upper hull.

Starting with the front drivers hatch. With no driver or any interior details, this will be displayed closed despite the nice inner details supplied by Academy.

The drivers view scope covers. Installed to outer door.

The hatch is assembled, then attached to the front of the tank. I have already painted the upper hull Nato Black.

The headlight and horn? are attached to the LH side of the hull.

Next are the front fender. There are 2 types used on the T-34, early or late style. My hand the later type which have an angled bend. The early types are rounded.

Made up of 4 parts, 2 on each side.

The fit is a bit tricky, but after some jostling, they do fall into place.

Next up assemble the tracks.

More to follow.