North American T-6G FAC, Monogram 1/48

Started by Jaime Carreon · 39 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Nice progress Jaime, when I got this kit I told myself this could be a difficult paint job because of the red plastic. But you master it I'm positive of that.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Jaime,
    I'm happy to hear that the effects from the winter storm are now in the rear view mirror. I have the same AT-6 kit as you do, mine is also molded red plastic, and it came in a set along with a Monogram P-51D. I am definitely watching how you go about building this one ... Please keep us informed on what you did to seal the red... Thanks !

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Haven't been able to do much work on the T-6 lately. My daughter and grandkids have moved in with us for a bit while her house is being repaired from storm damage. The kids are in my model room, so the space is a little tight at the moment! I'm going to try to move some of my stuff into the garage this weekend so I can get some modeling done while the weather is still good.

I decided to do a markings change, since friend Andrew is doing the airplane in the same markings. He started before I did and I didn't want to duplicate things. I'll keep my choice under wraps for the time being, gotta have a few secrets! Going to try a few new things on this build as well.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Jaime, you sure know how to make a cliffhanger 🙂
    Looking forward to the grand reveal @jetmex! Best of luck with the temporary move.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 2 years, 11 months ago:

It's been way to long since I looked at this one, so while I had a little time this afternoon, I pulled the model out from under the kid's stuff on my workbench and took a look at it. Much to my chagrin, I noticed that the wings and horizontal stab didn't even line up with one another, with the stab tilted off to the right a bit with the wings level. The fin and stabs align ok, but the right wing root was out of whack, even though the wing fit pretty well. After a few conversations with friends, and with a lot of trepidation (look at all those big words I'm using!) I mounted my heat gun in a vise and carefully heated up the wing to bend it into place. There is a fine line between just right and melted plastic, so I went slowly and managed to get the wing lined up like it should be without too much fuss. If nothing else comes up, I should be able to clean up some seams and try to get this thing painted...

Going to try to find some decals for the Stinson, too!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Nice "jig" works, my friend @jetmex!
    Yep, I know too the agonizing seconds that separate heated/workable plastic from deformed/melted!
    Looking forward to your progress and your future discovery of decals for the Reliant!

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Been a very long time since I've worked on this one. The RC side of the hobby reared up and demanded a lot more of my time than I expected, but all the customer and hobby shop airplanes are done now, so I can get back to plastic.

Airplane is now ready for paint after a long afternoon of masking canopies (do you guys love that as much as I do?) and finishing landing gear and other subassemblies. Engine and cowl are on, anti glare panel and the red tip of the rudder are painted, though you can't really tell the rudder is red! I'll let the painted areas dry overnight, then hopefully finish masking and paint tomorrow. Will be replicating an overall silver lacquer finish.

Here are a few pics, both of the T-6 and the distractions that kept me from working on it...

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Jaime, @jetmex
    It has been a while ! I'm glad to see that you will be finishing up your T-6. Boy ! That Birddog is a HUGE plane ... Heck, I could probably crawl inside it and fly it myself, without the need for a radio... 😉

The Skyraider looks great too. Take care buddy. I'll give you a call soon.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 2 years, 6 months ago:

No joke that O-1 is gigantic!

Great to see the T-6 moving along as well. By chance, I got mine out of the cabinet the other day to start finalizing it... finally got a squadron canopy in, as well as a potential solution for the smoke rockets!

Now go get that red plastic hidden..! 😉

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Excellent progress, my friend @jetmex!
    Love the RCs as well! Yes, the O-1 is gigantic!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 6 months ago:

I was wondering what hole this one fell down. Good to see it back.

• Profile Photo

It's good to be back in the hobby room.

Andrew, I'm using the racks and rockets (with slight modifications) from a 1/72 Monogram F-82 to replicate the smoke rockets on this model. They look to be about the right size and are convincing enough to pass my sorta low standards! Would anyone happen to know what color those rockets should be?

Louis, the Bird Dog has a 13 foot wingspan and weighs 57 pounds empty. The Skyraider is 86 inches and is just shy of 30 pounds.

• Profile Photo

Well, it isn't red anymore...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Jaime, @jetmex
    Nice work ! I think you missed a spot on the spinner... 😉 It's still red... Just kidding with you. By the looks of things, it's ready for the stickers.

Those RC planes you build are very impressive. A 13 feet wingspan ... wow ! We need to team up and build a 1/3 scale Jungmeister. I saw a set of plans for a 1/2 scale... hmmm.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Great work, Jaime (@jetmex). T-6s are always cool, and yours is looking awesome. I wonder how long it took for kit manufacturers to figure out that builders didn't want their plastic to be pre-colored?