SEAFIRE FR.47

Started by gary sausmikat · 66 · 2 years ago · Seafire 1/48 Airfix Korean War
  • Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Hi All,

Time to jump into this Group Build with my first build start of 2022 with a Supermarine Seafire Fr.47 serving aboard the HMS Triumph during the Korean War.

Kit and Aftermarket Parts:
    1/48 Airfix, Supermarine Seafire Fr.47
    Aires Cockpit and Engine sets
    Barracuda Fr.47 Contra Prop Blades
    Kits-World Post War Supermarine Seafires decals.

Thanks for the invite, Louis.

Hope all those checking in will enjoy following along. Comments and critiques are welcome.

As always...KEEPING IT FUN. Let's begin!

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

While researching I came across this video

Love the sound of those Griffons!

<iframe title="FR-47 Seafire "The one and only"" width="500" height="375" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_YioXYhbVPA?feature=oembed&quot; frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen>

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 4 months ago:

A wonderful entry, my friend @gwskat!
    Love the extra goodies!
    A wonderful video, as well.
    Looking forward to your build!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 4 months ago:

This will be a great build, Gary @gwskat
    Great video, seeing those blades running opposite of each other.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 4 months ago:

You also want to track down the Squadron/Falcon vacuform canopy. The kit canopy is worse than useless, especially with the extras you're bringing to the party. If you go search "Decal Corps" on eBay you can get it for around $7.25, (plus shipping - total around $11) and every penny is Money. Well. Spent.

• Profile Photo

Done! Thanks.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Strapped in and looking forward to the build @gwskat.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Gary, @gwskat
    I'm getting the popcorn and butter ready for the show ! This one is a great subject to add to our group. Thanks for staring it up, and I will definitely be taking notes. I have the exact same kit and I started it several years ago as part of the 100 Years of the RAF group we had back then. I ran out of time and the project was parked...

Looking forward to your next postings.

• Profile Photo

Dug in to the Aires cockpit and engine sets, the casting quality and detail look superb, and started looking at what's in store for modifying the kit parts.

Looking at the cockpit I found out it's missing a part...the cockpit floor (RP13). I've emailed Aires in hopes that they will send me a new part. Fingers crossed. If not, I'll have to scratch build the floor. Overcoming a challenge is always part of the fun.

But in the mean time I have plenty to keep me busy with building the Griffon and preparing the fuselage/cowl for assembly.

Included pics of some of the castings.

Until next time...

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 4 months ago:

That'll look interesting, but my purely personal feeling is that opening that engine cowling will be sacrilege.

• Profile Photo

Thanks. I appreciate the comment, Tom but I'll be sticking with the Griffon exposed. It will look good sitting next to my MK.22 Spit. Maybe someday I'll do another Seafire all buttoned up.
    Thanks for the canopy advice...ones on the way from Decal Corp.

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 2 years, 4 months ago:

OH Yeah, Looking good Gary. I finished this kit just over a year ago and I liked everything about it.
    Here's mine completed with a simulated in flight shot, Aldo Missio (@aldog) blurred the props for me.
    Yours is gonna look sweet with the extra details and exposed engine. Have fun Gary.
    Can't agree with TC more, it might be worth your while to get the Vac Canopy.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Gary@gwskat: Good choice, great kit. Good call on the canopy. I would also recommend replacing the kit 6 bladed contra prop set and get some proper wheels both from Barracudacast.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Gary, @gwskat

Those resin parts look fantastic, and I'm blown away by the details that are cast into the Griffon. I think it would be a good idea to add a new prop assembly. I'm fairly certain that Barracuda Cast makes a nice replacement set for this plane. With all of the extra stuff you have going on with this one, the kit supplied props could be the next "weakest link". I'll go drag mine down from the started pile and see if somehow it manages to sneak over to the workbench soon... I'm going to take a good close look at the props and see if I might end up scrounging a set for mine. It was started as part of Paul Barber's 100 Years of the RAF. It was started, then I ran out of time.

Have you thought about the wing fold option lately ? Or is it still too early in the game to tell ?

Keep it going brother, it's going to be an epic build.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Looking fantastic so far, my friend @gwskat!