Sword TBM-3R Avenger COD

Started by Robert Royes · 22 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years, 6 months ago:

This is a Carrier onboard delivery aircraft, they were used to bring people, parts , mail and such out to the aircraft carriers.This will be the first Avenger that I ever built and the second Sword kit, wish me luck.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Nice one Robert, good luck !

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Great choice Robert, not many know that some form of the Avenger did operate in the Korean War albeit as a COD. Didn't know one was available in any scale of the Avenger in this really rare variant. Love it.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Nice choice Robert @roofrat!
    Good luck on this, though with your skills you will not need it!
    Got myself the "classic" (sic) Airfix one to build: yours looks miles ahead, though "limited runish". I am tempted to build, so, after your inspiration, who knows?
    Also got the...1/32 monstrous Trumpeter one, which is big and bold, but the sheer size of the box scares me!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

That'll be a new version to me. Strapped in and looking forward to the ride Robert (@roofrat).

• Profile Photo

Got started on the COD, There really isn't too much to this kit, the hard part is going to be getting the fuselage half's together, there being no locating pins.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Robert @roofrat
    This is an excellent choice and a welcome addition to our ever growing Korean War group build. I have some good reference photos of various Avengers, and should you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask. If I can help you in any way please let me know.

I'll be watching this one for sure. I have never built a Sword kit, so I don't know what you can expect. Hopefully it will not be too bad... I like what you have done so far. It looks good !

My Dad told me a few stories about how these, (and occasionally a Skyraider) could be used to carry up to 7 or 8 people out at one time...

• Profile Photo
    Doug Humphrey said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Not sure if these pics would help out or not...But there was a similar Avenger that I saw in a museum in Liberal, KS...

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis, I've done one other Sword kit a F9F-8Twoger, there tend to be fit problems. Hope fully it won't be to bad with this one. @lgardner.
    Doug, excellent photos thanks! @eydugstr

• Profile Photo

Nice progress, Robert @roofrat!
    Hope the fuselage will come together!

• Profile Photo

Some progress of late, got the fuselage together, had to glue one area at a time, because of bad fit and lack of locating pins. Ready for prime and paint.

• Profile Photo

Ahhh, the beauty of putting together a Sword kit!
    Looks great so far, Robert @roofrat!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Going well Robert, a bit late with this but for future reference my solution is some tabs on one half !

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Looking forward to this build, Robert (@roofrat). I think these later Avengers look really cool. Like Allan, I also add small plastic tabs to the fuselage, and sometimes the wings, to keep everything in line. Works great as long as the plastic on both sides of the fuselage is the same thickness.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Primed and paint.