MiG-15 bis, Captain Pavel Milauszkin, 176 IAP / 324th IAD, Korea 1952. Tamiya 1/48

Started by Louis Gardner · 101 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Here is how the MiG-17 looks at the moment.

I sprayed the entire airframe using Model Master "Metallizer" buffing aluminum plate from a rattle can. It dries with a lusterless flat finish.

After just a few minutes with a polishing cloth, it looks better...

So I spent some more time with a soft cotton cloth and this really brought out the shine. There are a few small areas that look bad in the place where the upper wing joins the fuselage. If you look real close you can see it.

At this time I decided to install the one piece canopy. So far, so good. It too will receive some camouflage paint.

But that's OK as this will get covered in a camouflage paint scheme anyhow. You might be wondering why is he going to paint it silver, get it shiny and then hide it with camouflage ?

The reason is simple. I'm going to use this shiny metal finish as a base for chipping and peeling the paint. I did this one time before with a WW2 Japanese Ki-84 "Frank". It turned out fantastic... and I wanted to replicate the worn paint look on this MiG-17.

I had a similar problem with the underside... This was caused when I placed the plane on a stand when the paint was still wet. There was also a very small place where the paint didn't get an even coverage, and it didn't buff out as nice. Hopefully this will not be a problem... More on that next.

In this photo I found online, the leading edge of "3020" looks as it could be bare metal. This area is shiny, and could be something as simple as sunlight reflecting off the surface... You can see a similar effect on the nose of the plane next to the number 3020.

The main landing gear door also appears to be a single lighter color. You can see one of the main gear doors hanging down near the nearest drop tank. The drop tank very well could also be oxidized bare metal...

If this is actually bare metal, then it could possibly be the entire leading edge and under surface of the wing was left unpainted...

as usual,
    comments are encouraged.

Thanks !

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 6 months ago:

These "buffable" paints are a real treat - I have some very old Humbrol that still reacts well to buffing. However It is my experience the shine wears off with time, and a sealant will react with the paint to some degree. Will be looking forward to the result on this one!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Erik ! @airbum

You are correct, they do seem to dull a little, if you leave them un sealed. However, I have found that if you seal the Metallizer brand of paint, this keeps the shine as it was the day you sealed it and keeps it from deteriorating. The only downside to this is that when you seal it, it reduces the shine somewhat. I have found that if you use an acrylic clear, such as "Future" it isn't quite as bad as far as reducing the reflectivity. I also found out if you use a "Dull Coat" type clear to seal it, that will knock down the shine considerably. This can be used to your advantage if you are trying to replicate a well oxidized surface.

Please stay tuned for the next update... It's coming right up !

• Profile Photo

Tonight I sprayed some camouflage on the MiG-17, and even applied the decals...

I used these two colors. Both are Model Master enamels and are a shade of green. The base color I chose was FS 34258, and is a pale green. It is the right side bottle. For the darker green mottles, I used FS 34092. This is a more of a bluish green color.

Once I sprayed the entire airframe in light green, I went back and added the mottling. I used the photo I posted earlier as a guide to replicate some of the patterns.

It's not 100 percent perfect, but it is good enough for me. I didn't take a lot of time doing this, I simply followed my gut instincts and rolled with it...

I will have to go back and re-spray the interior of the wheel wells using a light gray. These areas ended up getting covered with a lot of over spray from the camouflage painting. In all likelihood, so did the real plane...

The pant dried in a few minutes... By the time I cleaned the air brush it was dry enough to handle.
    So I figured "why not" and added the stickers...

Luckily for me there are not too many on this one. I had to carefully slice the upper wing decals so they would fit, since the outer wing fences ran right through the "wing" portion of the insignia.

On the underside, this was not a problem. They fit without incident here.

This is a big relief for me ! I was worried that these old original kit supplied decals would shatter into a million bits when they hit the water, but they didn't thank God !

Hopefully tomorrow I will paint the wheel wells and install the landing gear. I'll also apply a few layers of Dull Coat to seal the decals and knock down the shine that is on them. I want them to blend in with the rest of the paint. As they are now, they're way too shiny.

Then it's time to start chipping the paint to reveal some nice shiny bare metal that is underneath. That part will be fun !

I have built up a set of under wing drop tanks that I "borrowed" from one of the Tamiya MiG-15 kits. They look much better than the ones supplied by Hobbycraft, so I'll use them instead. They will get sprayed in an aluminum shade of metallizer. I'll install them on after the main landing gear is in place. Otherwise, the tanks may interfere with installing the main gear doors.

As always, thanks for stopping by, and as always,
    "Comments are encouraged".

Thanks again !

• Profile Photo

I simply followed my gut instincts and rolled with it

well rolled indeed! - and thanks for the words on the metalizer - I will give the ones I have a try one day, but will keep your preferred brand in mind!

Can't wait to see the chips flying off the kite. . . .

• Profile Photo

Thank you Erik ! @airbum
    Hopefully you will not have to wait too long now... I gave it a few coats of Dullcoat, and I was amazed at just how nicely these old Hobbycraft decals blended in with the paint. These are the ones that were provided in with the kit. I think they are 1990 vintage...Here's a close up of them after the clear dried sufficiently.

Overall I am quite happy with how it's turning out so far. It looks decent with the canopy masking removed now. Granted the canopy is a bit thick, but I have seen much worse.

The next step will be to paint the landing gear bays (again)...

On the "to do" list, I have to install the landing gear, pitot tubes, and drop tanks, install the tail pipe, paint the cannon barrels, do some chipping and it's done. The list is getting shorter...and the number of parts remaining in the box are dwindling as well.

Now it's back to the Tamiya MiG-15's...

As always,
    comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo

Louis @lgardiner, those decals look great! looks like you are at the 90% finished, 90% to go till finished mark? (Famed place to be for homebuilders that build their own airplanes)

• Profile Photo

Hello Erik, @airbum

That's the exact place I am at with this build... The same saying goes for those of us who restore old muscle cars too ! Sometimes it seems like the final parts take the longest.

Stay tuned for another installment, along with a little twist.

• Profile Photo

I have been watching a certain Tamiya "Chrome Plated" MiG-15 on EBay. I figured why not, and managed to score it at a very respectable price... It was delivered to my door within two days of purchase, and at considerably less than the original sale price these kits were fetching when new. This one still has the original hobby store price sticker on it of $33.00

To my surprise when it arrived it was still sealed in the original shrink wrap.

Tamiya has it shown as "Silver Color Plated" on the box top.

I have always wanted one of these. It reminds me of the old school chrome plated planes that Testor's did back in the late 1970's with their P-47 and F8F Bearcat planes that were re boxes of the old Hawk kits. They came right out of the box being chrome plated too way back then. But the quality wasn't the same as what Tamiya brings to the table...

Naturally I had to open it up ! I am very impressed with the plating. It looks fantastic.

Not all of the parts are chromed. The engine parts tree is left alone in typical gray plastic.

But these wings will look wonderful !

There's a little bit of dust on these parts if you look close. It will wipe away.

Now I will carefully build this one and bring it up to the same location as the other Tamiya MiG-15's are. This one will probably be used for the Captain's plane.

I'll be very careful in scraping away the chrome plating at the glue joints. I'll probably have to use some Bare Metal Foil in various locations such as the fuselage and wing leading edge seams. Time will tell...

So please stay tuned for an update on this one very soon.

As always,
    Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 4 years, 6 months ago:

No idea these even existed!
    Kit archaeology Louis - a great project!

• Profile Photo

Louis @lgardner congrats on this fine kit! I bought a skyray some time ago with the same plating, but still haven't found any decals for a natural/polished version - the decals in the box are all for grey/white ones! I'm tuned for this one - looking forward to see the result! As far as I recall, Revell have a glue for their automotive chromed kits - perhaps that may be of use?

• Profile Photo

Hello David, @davem
    I remember seeing one in our LHS many years ago. I failed to purchase it at the time. When I went back there several days later it was gone... Someone had beat me to the punch. This is the first one I have actually seen in person since then. I have seen several online, but none in person. It's a very cool little kit ! The "chrome" plating is very, very thin...

Erik, @airbum
    Thank you ! I didn't know the Skyray was done in chrome too ! I have never seen or even heard of one of them plated that way...

I also didn't know about the Revell glue specifically made for joining chrome parts. I will look for it at our LHS the next time I stop in. I might do an online search for it too, but would prefer to purchase it locally to help keep our only store in miles open.

For now I have been lightly scraping away the chrome plate where the parts joint was located. It has been working well, but I have noticed this type of plastic is a darker gray than usual for a Tamiya kit.

• Profile Photo

Last night I assembled the tail section on the chrome plated MiG-15.

The seam along the fuselage joint was very close to being spot on, and only needed a few light scrapes to get perfect. Unfortunately this damaged the plating in this location. It will be covered over with Bare Metal Foil and will be virtually undetectable once it's done.

This "scraping" at the seam was done in a few locations. Thankfully it is a very good fitting kit, and so far no filler work has been needed.

Here you can see the darker colored plastic that is beneath the chrome plate. It is a very dark gray, almost a black color.

I scraped away the chrome in areas that would be glued. The chrome plate is extremely thin. It comes off in a few light swipes of a razor blade. In some spots I used a very fine sandpaper.

This has been working out good so far. But care must be taken as the outer surface can be very easily damaged accidentally.

Here is a close up of one of the sets of drop tanks that are provided.

I have an idea about spraying some of these panels using Tamiya Smoke in a few light coats to give them a different appearance. I'll test it on a drop tank before I commit to it though. I'm also going to be using a few shades of Bare Metal Foil to help break up the monotone look of the chrome plating.

Overall I am quite pleased with how this kit looks and has been assembling so far. It's not any different than another Tamiya MiG, other than the joint preparation with removing the chrome at glue locations.

Care must be taken with the outer chrome finish to prevent scratching. It is extremely thin. To me it looks fantastic and is exactly what I was hoping for.

As always,
    Comments are encouraged.

Thanks for looking...

• Profile Photo

I glued the wings together on the chrome plated MiG 15. Tonight I’ll try to assemble the cockpit and I might even get it sprayed in Light Blue Gray. Then I can assemble the nose section and engine.

Here’s how it looks now. Hopefully it will be at the same construction point as the others are very soon.

As always comments are encouraged.

Thanks

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 5 months ago:

I got some more work done on the Tamiya chrome plated MiG-15. I assembled and painted the cockpit.

For some reason all of the pictures will not upload... Here's what will.

This is a side view of the seat and the cockpit tub.

Since these parts are chrome pated, I was concerned that masking tape just might lift the paint. For this reason I chose not to mask off the small white line that goes down through the center of the IP. Instead of painting the instruments, I chose to simply pick away the Flat Black paint on the raised portion to reveal the gauges. It will look decent enough once installed.

Once everything was dry I scraped away the chrome plate to allow for a stronger glue joint. Otherwise from previous experience with building model cars, chrome parts don't glue together well at all...
    This is the cockpit after final assembly and detail painting.

I brushed on some gloss Clear to give the leather seat parts some shine, since originally they were also painted Flat Black. Here in these photos the clear has not had sufficient time to dry. The seat will not look this shiny once it does.

Possibly later tonight I will get the rest of the fuselage nose assembly done... The deadline is coming up quickly...

Thanks for stopping by and as always,
    Comments are encouraged.