MiG-15 bis, Captain Pavel Milauszkin, 176 IAP / 324th IAD, Korea 1952. Tamiya 1/48

Started by Louis Gardner · 101 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Wow, what an assembly line, terrific work ,Louis ! I remember the old Hawk chrome kits, I did their F-84G in the before time. It's funny but five minutes ago I couldn't see your photos now their here.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Hey Robert !

I remember those kits too. I had the Lysander, a P-47 Razorback, and a F8F Bearcat that were all old chrome plated Hawk kits. Brought back some memories for sure with that comment.

Yes the assembly line is going at full speed now. Today I got a lot done on the MiG 15’s. Please follow along and I’ll explain in the next installment.

• Profile Photo

Today I finished the basic assembly of two MiGs. Then I spent a little time with cleaning up the seams. Nothing major and no filler was needed. Just a few swipes with a razor and then a little bit of clean up using fine sandpaper.

Once I was happy with how it was looking, I sprayed the underside in a light blue color.

I have decided that I’m going to have two MiG-15’s wearing camouflage. So I painted two planes with the light blue underneath.

I finished the forward fuselage on the remaining two MiG 15’s. One is the chrome plated version and the other is a standard Tamiya model molded in gray plastic.

I assembled the majority of the chrome plated MiG and used various shades of Bare Metal Foil to take care of the areas where the seams ran. Here you can see the fuselage is almost complete now. The stabilizers have been installed too.

I have finished up the forward section of the fuselage. It’s ready for decals now. The wings and engine have also been done. This is a close up picture of the finished section. The bare metal foil is looking fantastic where I had to do some touch up work on the joints.

I also started applying the foil to the last remaining fuselage section. It’s coming along nicely too. Here’s a picture of the final MiG 15 as it sits now. The section behind the cockpit has been covered with foil.

Hopefully tomorrow I’ll get the wings installed on the last two MiG 15’s and spray the landing gear wells and inner flap sections in gray.

Please stay tuned for the next installment.

As always comments are encouraged.

Thanks !

• Profile Photo

Last night I made some progress with the MiG-15's... Please follow along and I'll explain.

I assembled and installed the canopy on one of the Light Blue painted planes. It's a bit tricky, but I managed to get this done without smearing the canopy so far. It simply slid in place after the glue dried and can be posed open or closed.

I attempted a little brush painting on the wheel wells and the exposed portion of the upper wing when the flaps are deployed. This went OK, but it wasn't looking good enough as some brush strokes remained. So I stopped after I had painted the interior portions on one side of the plane. The nose well was also brush painted. It looks OK.

So out came the Tamiya tape... I'm going to be spraying these areas on the rest of the MiG's. Here is one of the "Chrome Plated" wings ready for painting.

The forward nose section of the "Chrome Plated" MiG is almost done.

The sliding portion of the canopy needs installed, as do the cannons that are located under the cockpit. I brush painted the nose well on this one too.

Here are the parts that have been assembled on the Chrome Plated MiG-15.

I have been thinking about not gluing the rear fuselage in place on this one. This will allow me to display the engine if I decide I want to change things up in the display case.

Overall I'm quite happy with the progress that was made.

As always,
    Comments are encouraged.

Thanks for stopping by...

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Great production line, Louis. I like how you handled the seams on the chrome plated kit with foil.

• Profile Photo

Thank you John ! @j-healy

I can't take full credit for it, as I saw this done by someone else at another website when they built their chrome plated MiG. I can say that it works like a champ ...

• Profile Photo

Today was spent working on the various MiG's...

I masked off the remaining wheel well and flap areas on all of the Tamiya MiG-15's, and next I sprayed them gray. Here is a single photo showing some of the work. The remaining parts for the "Chrome Plated" MiG were also painted as needed.

Since I was spraying the color, I also painted the wells on the Hobbycraft MiG-17.

A nice bonus happened when I removed the masking tape. Some of the exterior greens came off with the tape. This happened in a random fashion and is exactly what I was hoping for...

The tape was wrapped around the leading edge and it happened here too... Perfect ! Just what the doctor ordered...

I assembled the landing gear and "borrowed" a set of chrome plated drop tanks from the Tamiya MiG 15 kit. With some careful measuring, and after 3 small holes were drilled into each wing, the Tamiya drop tanks fit like a charm... and it was a definite improvement over the kit supplied parts.

The instructions on how to install the landing gear on the Hobby Craft kit were very vague. I went online and looked at a lot of photos of the real MiG-17 to use as a reference. The nose wheel and gear doors were installed.

The resin replacement nose wheel was not used. It was too wide to fit in between the front oleo forks. If I had it before I painted the nose strut, I could have shimmed the parts and used the wheel. Instead I took the easy route, and simply used the original kit supplied nose wheel. It was not too bad to begin with. I bought the resin wheels to replace the mains, as they are rather crude.

The resin main wheels have been painted, but still need installation.

Finally, I painted the exhaust nozzle and installed it... The pitot tubes, and landing light lens were also added at this time.

I went back and randomly picked away at the green paint in some places. This revealed the shiny "Metalizer" base coat. Now it looks like the paint is peeling away, and I'm quite happy with the results.

If things go as planned, this one will be finished tomorrow. If I'm lucky, the MiG-17 just might even get posted in the headlines section too. There's some masking to be done on the camouflaged Tamiya MiG-15's. Once that's done I'll spray the next color... which will be a shade of tan.

As always,
    Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Looking good, Louis! That's one sinister looking Mig! I saw one flying off of Jones Beach as part of an airshow a little while back.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Robert ! These MiG builds are highly addictive. I just ordered one from Sprue Brothers. It is the Trumpeter 1/48 MiG-15 and it’s pro going to arrive in a week or less.

They’re just like the Focke Wulf 190 and the Bf-109. So many paint schemes to choose from. And every single one of them look sinister...

Thanks again buddy for the kind words. I wrapped it up late last night when I added the wheels.

I’m sure that MiG was a sight to see ! I’ve only had the opportunity to see a MiG -15 in flight once. It was a two seater UTI variant. Very cool and they don’t have the same sounds as your typical civilian jet when they fly overhead.

To my ears, all military jets have a distinct sound of their own.

Take care !

• Profile Photo

Here’s a few pictures of the MiG-17 standing on its own ... more pictures to follow in the headline section.

Meanwhile I will try to get more done on the remainder of the MiG-15’s.

As always comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 5 months ago:

The Grumman line next to the Mikoyan production line. Amazing progress Louis. The Gardner works at full production. Check your reference if I remember correctly I believe the wheels on the MiG-17 should be Russian Hub Green. Otherwise the rest of the MiGs are coming along nicely. I remember building a Chrome MiG-15 in the late 70's I think it was either Aurora or Hawk. Very simple build. As i remember you can see through the nose to the tail, there was no plug in the intake to block the view to that tail exhaust cone. Keep them coming. Really hard to tell the difference on a MiG-17 and a MiG-15.

• Profile Photo

Hey Chuck ! @uscusn

That's a very good eye on the wheel colors. From what I can find online, it appears that the MiG-15 and the MiG-17 could have shared the same wheels... and it also looks like some were painted in the green color you mentioned. Some were also painted using the light gray. Since I had the light gray loaded in the air brush, that's what I went with. Ironically, I do have a green set ready for one of the Tamiya MiG-15's. They're painted and ready to install... I'll probably use them on the Chinese camouflaged plane.

Today I got some work done on the chrome plated MiG-15.

Here's a picture of the fuselage rear section after the interior was sprayed in Light gray. I'm probably going to leave this section loose so it can be removed and display the jet engine that is included. However, since I'm in a crunch for time, I won't detail paint the engine. I'll keep the engine "as is" until a later date.

This next picture shows the forward fuselage section with the wings and the jet engine installed.

Here I have slid the two sections together. The fit is good. I'm going to leave it alone and not mess with the fuselage joints.

This last photo shows the underside after the inner flap areas and landing gear wells were painted, also in Light Gray.

I still have some foil work that needs to be done in order to hide some of the seams where I sanded the chrome in order to make the joint surfaces smooth. This is mainly on the leading edge of the wings.

Everything else is ready to install... So it shouldn't be too much longer and this one will be getting some North Korean decals.

To my fellow American friends, I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving Day.

As always,
    Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 5 months ago:

That’s a mighty impressive MIg you got there Louis! Not that the others are inferior but the green dappled MiG just fills up the room. You could have fooled me with the chipping not being “accidental” 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Hey - I leave you alone a few days, and now i have to speed to get up to date 🙂
    Great progress - and the accidental chipping is a blast! keep the posts comin though - they are great to follow!

• Profile Photo

Hey Pedro ! @holzhamer
    You saw right through the alleged "accident"... It was done on purpose and I am very pleased with how it turned out. I just posted it in the headline section now, and I thank you again for the kind comments you left for me...