MiG-15 bis, Captain Pavel Milauszkin, 176 IAP / 324th IAD, Korea 1952. Tamiya 1/48

Started by Louis Gardner · 101 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Erik my friend, @airbum

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you get some work bench time over the next few days. I just posted the MiG-17 in the headlines section. Please check it out when you can. I think it looks great parked on top of the base that Tom Bebout @tom-bebout

sent my way a few months ago... The new base makes a fine photography setting. So if you happen to see this reply Tom, thanks again. It works like a charm.

• Profile Photo

Tonight I was able to complete the rest of the foil work on the Tamiya "Chrome Plated" MiG-15... I used various shades of Bare Metal Foil in places along the leading edges of the wings. In some locations on the fuselage, the chrome was getting a little thin from me handling the model. These panels were also covered. To keep things symmetrical, if I had to cover a panel on one side, I did the exact same panel on the other side of the fuselage using the same color foil. The colors that were used are "Matt Aluminum", "Chrome", and "Ultra Bright Chrome"

The canopy was installed and foil was added to replicate the frames. The drop tanks will get painted in some shade of aluminum color.

Once that was completed, I added a few small bits like the drop tanks, radio altimeter antennae's and the flaps. The flaps were placed in the "dropped" position even though you typically don't see them this way in most photos. I simply wanted to show the nice details that Tamiya have provided in the kit.

Finally the cannons that were mounted under the fuselage.

From what I can tell from some online searches, these MiG's were painted using a clear lacquer or a clear lacquer with aluminum paste added to it to protect the aluminum surfaces from the elements and help keep corrosion under control.

Hopefully tomorrow evening I can add the decals for Capt. Milauszkin... Time will tell, so please stay tuned. I hope to wrap this one up soon.

As always,
    Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Those BMF patches rocks on this chromed bird!

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 4 months ago:

This is going to be another Stunner Louis!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Erik ! @airbum
    I am very pleased with how the foil patches change the overall looks of the plane. As light hits the model from different locations, it gives the MiG a different sheen. Sometimes it is very shiny. Change the angle just a few degrees and it looks like a totally different aircraft.

Thanks again my friend.

James, @jamesb
    Thanks buddy ... I am very excited about how this one particular MiG is turning out. So far so good ... Tonight I added the decals. Stand by and I’ll post some more pictures of how it looks right now.
    Thanks again and take care.

• Profile Photo

I just finished adding the decals to the chrome plated MiG. I am very pleased with the results.

I did not apply the North Korean insignia on the upper wing surface. From what I have been reading this wasn’t done. But if you were to follow the instructions that came with the "Aero Master" decals, they would have you place them there. Ironically they didn’t show the insignia on the lower wing surface. As crazy as it sounds, they have this exactly opposite of how it really should be. I went against the information shown on the Aero Master decals instruction sheet, and left the top surface blank. Then I used the North Korean National Insignia decals on the lower surface of the wings as it should be.

The “bort” numbers were applied as were the 10 kill markings. This chrome plated MiG is almost done. I hope that I wrap it up tomorrow evening. I'll leave these decals dry overnight. Then I'll clean up the residue that was left behind. You can see it in several places if you look real close.

Sadly my Dad’s childhood friend Mike Rebo is represented by one of these stars.

Mike was flying a F-84 E Thunderjet when he was shot down and killed over North Korea. I have this model and I have plans to build it up in 2020 as a tribute to my Dad’s friend who never made it home.

Mike was listed as MIA until just recently when the Department of Defense obtained a DNA sample from a surviving family member. Once they were able to get a match his remains were finally returned home and he received a proper military funeral.

Mike flew in the 49th Fighter Bomber Wing and luckily the kit has decals included for his unit. Mike's plane would have looked very similar to this one.

So please stay tuned for another tribute build coming out of the “Iron Werks” sometime next year.

As always comments are encouraged.
    Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo

As a side note, I'm reaching out to you all for information regarding Mike's F-84E. In particular I am looking for pictures of his plane. I have found photos of various F-84's from his unit, the 9th FB Squadron, 49th FB Wing. His plane would have had a tail number of "1549" or possibly 51-549. The nose number would have most likely been "FS-549". It's possible the fuselage nose numbers could have had the alphabet letter "A", or "B" behind the 549.

If this was the case, it would have looked like this: FS-549-A, or FS-549-B.

If anyone stumbles across a photo of this plane please contact me. Here's the information I found online about the date and time when he was shot down.

1LT MICHAEL GORDON REBO
    9TH FIGHTER BOMBER SQUADRON
    AIRCRAFT TYPE: F-84E
    AIRCRAFT NUMBER: 51-549
    AIR FORCE
    HOSTILE, DIED WHILE MISSING (MIA)
    REMAINS NOT RECOVERED
    DATE OF LOSS: NOVEMBER 10, 1951

Thanks in advance...

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 4 months ago:

I am very pleased with the results.

And you should be just that! - and thank you for all the useful information on the markings. Not sure I will be veering off down "MiG alley" anytime soon, but will keep this in mind.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Erik ! @airbum
    I am learning an awful lot about these planes and the colors / markings they used on them. That's what is so cool about building something that you normally don't... I can encourage you to make a trip down MiG Alley, as long as no one is shooting at you ... like what happened almost 70 years ago.

• Profile Photo

Tonight I finished the Tamiya chrome plated MiG-15. I had to install the landing gear and doors.

Now it can stand on it's own feet !

It sits perfectly, the stance is just right. This one turned out better than I expected it too.

I'll flip it back over on it's back and let the glue dry overnight. Possibly tomorrow I will get it posted in the headlines section... First I will have to wipe down all of my finger prints. They are very noticeable on a bare metal finish.

Another one down, 2 or 3 more to go. The camouflage MiG-15's shouldn't take too long to complete.

Thanks again Sebastijan @inflames
    for extending the deadline.

As always, comments are encouraged. Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo

I wasn't happy with the fact this chrome plated MiG-15 didn't have a proper antennae cable installed. So a few days ago I located some "EZ Line" and made a proper set up using photos of a real installment on a full sized MiG-15. This is how it looked after the work was completed.

The final little things like painting the cannon barrels, and wing tip navigation lights were taken care of. Last night I took some photos of the completed model...

Today I posted an article in the headlines section of the chrome plated MiG-15. Here's a link to it in case you're interested in the reason behind this build.

MiG Group Build MiG-15 bis, Captain Pavel Milauszkin, 176 IAP / 324th IAD, Korea 1952.
    Hopefully now that the other things in life that have been keeping me away from the bench have been taken care of, I can resume work on the remaining MiG's. So please stay tuned for more updates to follow. As always, comments are encouraged.
  • Profile Photo

Tonight I painted some “Tan” color on two MiG s. If you look closely you can see the paint is still very wet. It will dry with a flat sheen.

Next step will be to paint on a few more colors of green and brown.

As always comments are encouraged.

Good night.

• Profile Photo

Racing towards the deadline...

Tonight I managed to mask off the areas that I wanted to show up as "Green".

Once that was completed, I sprayed the second MiG-15 from this group. I'm very happy with how the paint went on. In these next photos, it's still very wet.

After things dried, I removed the masking. It's getting closer to being completed now. The next steps will be to do the final detail painting, install the flaps and landing gear, then add a few decals...and finally the antennae.

This one might just squeak in by the deadline. That's the plan anyhow.

Thanks for stopping by and looking at the MiG's. Merry Christmas to you all.

Take care.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Looking very good Louis...very good!

• Profile Photo

Thanks James ! @jamesb
    I like how your staff car is turning out too... You have been really busy with it, I can tell. Merry Christmas buddy !