MiG-15 bis, Captain Pavel Milauszkin, 176 IAP / 324th IAD, Korea 1952. Tamiya 1/48

Started by Louis Gardner · 101 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Now once you all see the next picture, you are going to think to yourself, man this guy has flipped his lid ! But there was a method to the madness.

I'll explain later, but for now,
    Merry Christmas !

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 4 months ago:

snake attack? - Really enjoy following the MiG's here, and after being away for a bit there is a lot to catch up on! - GR8 progress here!

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Louis @lgardner, thanks for the comp on the Staff car but to be honest. With your skills, it would be a two day job at the most.

• Profile Photo

Hello Erik, @airbum
    That's very close ! I was going to make a mention and call it "Snakes on a Plane", but I couldn't stand the movie... In fact I didn't watch it much longer than the first few minutes. Lame in my opinion, but a lot of the Hollywood stuff is today.

Merry Christmas my friend.

• Profile Photo

James my friend... @jamesb
    Lately I have not had too much "extra" time at the bench. Even more so, I don't think my head has been in the game as of late. There's a lot happening here right now. You know the deal... It will get better though. Years ago I used to build model cars. Back then I had a nice collection of 1/25th scale Mopar muscle cars. Today I still have some 1/18 scale metal bodied Mopar models, but I have thinned the herd down to only 3...

I am really enjoying your posts on the Glenn Miller story. The Norseman model is looking fantastic, and by the way, so is your staff car.

Please keep up the great work buddy ! I cant wait to see the final product with the tower built. That's going to be amazing... Are you going to have any lights in or near the tower ?

Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones. Take care partner !

• Profile Photo

Some of you may have been wondering why I chose to paint this next MiG in the order I have. The reason was this. Lighter colors are easier to cover with paint than darker colors are. Since I have chosen a camouflage scheme that has tan in it, I decided to paint it first. Once that was done, I applied the "snake rolls" and then painted on the black color next... The reason behind painting the black next was simply I wanted the green to appear a little darker than it looks when used right from the bottle.

So in essence, I used the black color as a primer to make the green darker.

Once the black was sprayed on, and had dried overnight, I applied more "snake rolls". This was easy, as all I had to do was follow the existing pattern. I left the original rolls in place. Then I had to make sure the new rolls were tight against the first set of snakes... This is how it looked after the second set was added and the black paint had dried.

Once I was satisfied with how everything was looking, I sprayed on some dark green. By having the black as a base, it made the green appear even more dark. Here's how she looks after a few coats of dark green...

Then after it had dried for a little, it was almost like Christmas...and I had to unwrap my Mig-15 present. I am very pleased with the outcome so far.

Here are the remaining two MiG-15's parked side by side.

The next steps will be to add the landing gear and decals...

Thanks for looking and may you all have a Merry Christmas.

As always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo

Louis @lgardner, Dear Friend I totally understand. Believe me, done there and would do it again for the best of reasons. I hope that you and Sandy have a great Christmas. I'm going to make a post later on the UC-64. Had a little inspiration the other day.

These are looking fantastic. Talk soon!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Very striking scheme there Louis, looking good, merry Christmas !

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Louis, that's two GR8 looking MiG's. Really displaying the variations these had, and put on display with the "Chrome" version, that will give us the range of colors used back then. Enjoying the ride!

Merry Christmas and a happy new year!

• Profile Photo

Thanks James @jamesb

for the kind words. You can lead a horse to water, but... You know the deal. Our heart is in the right places. Just a little off center of the sternum, between the lungs ! LOL

Christmas was good as can be expected. Sandy surprised me with some wonderful gifts, but the Christmas Holiday is more to me than just that. I have been blessed and I'll let it go at that. Thanks for being such a good friend.

Your UC-64 is really looking sweet ! It's tempting me now to draw up a set of 1/6 scale RC plans for one, so I can use my Williams Brothers 1/6 scale Pratt and Whitney on it... It's a neat looking plane and reminds me somewhat of a Stinson SR-7, (mainly the fuselage section of it). That's another beautiful plane, as is the Beechcraft Staggerwing... my favorites from this civilian era.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Alan ! @kalamazoo

Merry Christmas to you too. I hope it was a good day for you and your family. Happy New Year my friend.

• Profile Photo

Welcome back Erik, @airbum
    I sincerely appreciate the compliments. In the final posting, I will take a picture of all 3 examples sitting next to each other. Painting a MiG-15 gives you a lot of choices. There were so many Nations that used them, and you can find them wearing all sorts of camouflage or natural metal schemes. That's one thing that appeals to me about the type. Variety.

I hope that you too had a Merry Christmas, and that we all have a Happy and Healthy New Year.

Take care my friend, and prepare for the next installment. I think you just might like it...

• Profile Photo

One thing was bothering me about the sand and green camouflaged MiG-15. Something just didn't look right about it ... at least to me.

Then it hit me. The camouflage pattern had a hard edge where the colors joined. It's possible they might have looked like this, but I would rather believe they had more of a soft edge paint scheme.

Here is the picture showing the last two sitting next to each other.

See what I mean ? It's probably OK, but it would look more appropriate in a smaller scale.

• Profile Photo

So I went to work with some fine sand paper. I noticed there was also a small line present where the colors were touching. Apparently I sprayed the Green on too heavy.

After some wet sanding with some very fine paper, it looked like this.

The paint broke through to the plastic in some places, but not to worry.

Next step was to mask off the cockpit and windshield. Then I sprayed the Sand color back on again. Since I had a good base color applied previously, it didn't take much and the surface was covered.

The next step was to free hand spray the Dark Green on. I simply used the existing base colors as a guide. In a few minutes it was looking much better.

The Light Blue was the last color to be sprayed. I simply had to touch up a few areas where the Sand and Dark Green colors met the Light Blue.

Some of you sharp eyed readers will also notice that both MiG-15's are now standing on their own feet. The landing gear was applied earlier and allowed to dry overnight.

Here's a picture showing the MiG in a "Before state"

Followed by the same plane with soft edge camouflage.

These next two pictures show the final two planes as they appear sitting next to each other. The first is a "Before" photo and is Followed up by and "After".

I am happy that I decided to take the time to make these changes. I couldn't do it once the decals were added.

As always,
    Comments are encouraged, and I hope that you all had a Merry Christmas.

Happy New Year !

• Profile Photo

Wow Louis, that is a big difference. Nice follow through. Wish my airbrushing skills were up to that level!