Bike tires or tyres depending on where you’re from :)

Started by Cricket · 22 · 7 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Cricket said 8 months ago:

@rory @fiveten @anthonyricco @gblair @chinesegeorge @johnb @brithebuilde

Okay…so some of these older Tamiya kits have a “film” on the tires. I can’t get it off, I’ve tried scrubbing them dish soap, with a bleach based scouring powder, a product called “Bleech White” made for real tires, nothing works. Any tips or suggestions?

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 8 months ago:

Hi Cricket (@bikequeen): I watched a video where the modeler used a cleaner called Super Clean to soak the chrome off some model car parts. I got some from Amazon, but I haven't tried it yet. It supposedly will pull the chrome off parts without harming the plastic. Maybe it will work on tires?

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

@gblair yeah that stuff is good….takes pain t off too w/o harming the plastic….I know it as Purple Power. Might be worth a shot

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 8 months ago:

Hi Cricket (@bikequeen): Please let me know if it works.

• Profile Photo

@gblair if its the same stuff you’ll want to use gloves that stuff is wicked on the skin

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 months ago:

If things don't work out, how about some brake fluid, my friend @bikequeen? Or even going wild and use MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) or something equivalent?

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 8 months ago:

Hi Cricket @bikequeen, I’ve used a file that I bought from Tamiya a few years now. It’s meant to only be used on plastic, not metal. I would send you a picture but I’m not at home. It doesn’t seem to appear in the current Tamiya on-line catalogue. By the way it’s “tyres” in English, “tires” means something else entirely.

• Profile Photo

@chinesegeorge Thanks George, it’s not just the tread it’s the sidewalls too cant sand those

• Profile Photo

@fiveten I’ll try the brake fluid asI have it in stock, the MEK is outrageously expensive…..I just hope the tires aren’t ruined as it would trash this expensive kit

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 months ago:

Tires are vinyl, so normally are not affected...but check first at a small portion, my friend @bikequeen.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

@fiveten @anthonyricco @gblair @chinesegeorge @johnb @brithebuilder

Third time….SIGH! Some reason nothing would upload. Anyway went to wallmart and found “Purple Power” and I grabbed a bottle. I tried a test spot and it looked good so I soaked the Kawasaki tires. Scrubbed them with a toothbrush and rinsed them. Was good but not good enough, so back in the solution they went. Left them for about 5 minutes scrubbed again, rinsed well and scrubbed with Dawn dish soap they came out great.

I bought paint for the Kawasaki and the Honda. Metallic Orange for the Honda, Metallic red and Maroon for the Kawasaki not sure which I will use when they come in….I’m leaning with gloss black and then the metallic red over it as it’s sort of a transparent color. I used it on the other Kawasaki

Anyway/….here is tire pic

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

Hi Cricket @bikequeen, glad you found a solution to the tyre problem. Looking forward to seeing which bike you decide to build first.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

Tires look great, Cricket (@bikequeen). Glad you found a solution that didn't involve MEK, which is really nasty stuff.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

@gblair @chinesegeorge Thanks guys! MEK is rather expensive too. And George…Ive just been going over the Kawasaki ZZR 1400 and I think it’s gunna me the next victim….errrr….subject! :). I have the colors I need, it too will be basic black, it’s a HOT looking bike! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

It will be really fun to get those different tones in the black paint, Cricket (@bikequeen). Can't wait for this one.