BMW R75 Military Motorcycle

Started by George R Blair Jr · 216 · 1 year ago · BMW, German, Italeri, motorcycle, R75, Sidecar, Tamiya, WW2
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Thanks, Cricket (@bikequeen). I appreciate your kind words. I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

All went great in the end, my friend @gblair! Thankfully the plastic was flexible enough. Looking superb so far!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Great work to get that wheel in place, George @gblair
    Looks very nice with the wheel attached and weathered.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Thanks, John (@johnb). Now all I need to do is go back and weather the rest of the motorcycle. I probably should have been weathering all along.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Started working on the right-hand side of the bike today. Everything involves cleaning up parting lines, painting, test fitting, then the glue. I really liked how the muffler came out, a nice dark steel color with some patchy rust added. I glued the cover on before I thought to take a photo. Sorry. Picture the muffler piping, but bigger and not so round. The parts all have survived the cleaning and painting process. So far, so good. I am trying to be really careful on the parts for the next couple of steps, which include lots of really thin plastic. Sadly, they all have molding lines that need to be addressed. More tomorrow.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 1 year, 4 months ago:

@gblair superb work! I wish I could weather stuff like that…looks fantastic … not sure how u do it but I scrape the mold lines with X-Acto blade, works well even on tiny thin pieces 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Looking fantastic as it comes together, my friend @gblair! Great job on the small stuff!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 4 months ago:

You’re nearly there now, @gblair, it’s definitely going to look great.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

That exhaust and the piping does look great, George @gblair
    Not sure either if that could be the kickstarter. Usually the kickstarter is on the leftside of the bike, At first I thought it could be the rear brake paddle but the way it is connected makes is not that plausible.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 1 year, 4 months ago:

@johnb it’s the side car ejection peddle 🙂 LOL

• Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Looking fantastic George... I love the weathering!

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

Cricket (@bikequeen): I also scrape the mold lines away with the edge of the Exacto. The problem is that some of the mold lines are so deep that if I scraped enough on each side to remove the line that there might not be any plastic left. A couple of the rods were like that, and I filled and sanded rather than scraping. As far as weathering goes, it is very easy. I use both Vallejo (acrylic) and AK (solvent) weathering products, and anything you need to know about how to use them can be found on Youtube. Once you start, you will like it.

Spiros (@fiveten): The small parts are tough to hold while I am trying to clean them. Several things have made the ride into the carpet. I have found all except one, which I scratchbuilt a replacement.

George (@chinesegeorge): Thanks for the kind words. It is definitely drawing to a close. It is actually starting to look like something beside a blob.

Rory (@rory): Thanks. I like weathering. My other vice is a model train layout, and I get to weather the buildings, engines, and cars however much I want.

• Profile Photo

Things are really starting to get crowded now. Spent the morning adding pipes (including 2 I forgot from 11 steps ago), adding levers and gears, and then painting some of the sub-assemblies. Superglue is definitely a plus for all of this, since some of the parts don't quite fit where they are supposed to go. A little patience and superglue usually fixes the problem. I still have an awful lot of wiring hanging off the bike everywhere, I just need to have faith that the ends will all meet up with something intentional at some point. I had several pictures to show, but I am having problems getting the photos to upload again. Only 2 or the 8 photos would upload. I tried resizing to 1600, but then only had 1 that would load. Frustration is returning. I will post them later if I can figure out what is suddenly not working. Cheers.

• Profile Photo

Finally got the photos to upload. Yeah! Cheers.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I had a few minutes after dinner, so I started prepping the next few pieces. The headlight assembly is completely empty. I painted the interior silver, then added the glass. There is a headlight cover that reduces the size of the headlight beam that is glued over the headlight assembly. There was no need to worry about the blank interior on the light since the headlight cover hides almost everything. The headlight will have the speedometer on top (very cool), along with several black wires going in various direction. The next few steps will see the front wheel assembly added to the frame.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.