BMW R75 Military Motorcycle

Started by George R Blair Jr · 216 · 1 year ago · BMW, German, Italeri, motorcycle, R75, Sidecar, Tamiya, WW2
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Getting nicely detailed this way, George @gblair
    Nice touch on the real working forks.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Thanks, John (@johnb). I think it is cool that all those years ago when this model was made that they engineered the front forks so they would actually work. I don't think it is all that useful, just cool.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

A superb result so far, my friend @gblair! Liked the working forks a lot, great that you managed getting them right! Lots of wires going everywhere!

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 1 year, 5 months ago:

@gblair WOW! Just WOW! I would never achieve that level of skill, I get bored way to fast….Very very nice!

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the kind words, Spiros (@fiveten) and Cricket (@bikequeen). I was surprised I managed to glue all the parts for the forks together and not get glue somewhere that would make them inoperable. I am the same way, Cricket. I try never to work more than an hour at a time, which lends itself to building smaller subassemblies. As I get toward the end, all of the subassemblies I built earlier are now funneling into the build, making the last part much faster than the start. And I have seen your models, so I know your skills rival any I have seen. Cheers

• Profile Photo

Things are starting to come together. Added the front wheel assembly, and discovered two of the black lines end there. I was amazed at how well the front wheel fit the rest of the bike. The only problem I had was keeping the various black lines out of the way while I was adding the wheel to the front fork. There was also a decal to add to the wheel assembly. I am very impressed with the decals. Very little clear carrier, they are clearly printed, and go down easily. I have been adding the decals directly on the flat paint using a little SolvaSet and they look really nice. The writing on the info plates and speedometer is clear and readable. I don't think I will press my luck in using the large insignia decals the same way. They have huge amounts of clear carrier and there is no way they will go down without a gloss background. I am thinking I may try to cut masks for the markings and spray them on. More later.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Amazing progress, George @gblair
    The weathering you are applying is really great, for example the speedometer with "looks-like-glass" is beautiful.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb). I have only applied the weathering to selected areas to try some different things out. Doing the whole bike will be a much different proposition.

• Profile Photo

The long-awaited day has arrived. I turned the page of instructions I had just completed and discovered I was on the last page of the instructions. All that is left is to attach the sidecar and assemble and add the MG-34. A lot of time today ahs been spent finding the loose ends of the black lines and attaching them where they go. I have been worried that their specified length might be too short, but I only had one line that was too short. I fixed it by gluing a piece of fine plastic rod into the line and attached some new line. Worked great. I will still need to do something with all the lines running all over the bike, because I can't believe the lines would run willy-nilly all over the place. I hope to have more time later.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looks wonderful so far, my friend @gblair!
    Great remedy on the short vinyl tubing.
    Almost there!

• Profile Photo

Nice save on that black line, George @gblair
    Looking forward to see the bike and the sidecar mounted together.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb).

• Profile Photo

Today was a big day. I finally united the motorcycle and the sidecar. It went smoothly, but created a very heavy model. The tires are solid and each is heavy, and now the model has 3 of those heavy tires on it. The instructions have you build the motorcycle with the kickstand in the down position, which was great to stabilize a free-standing motorcycle, but doesn't make a lot of sense with the sidecar attached. I used my Exacto to reposition the kickstand into the up position. I did a little highlighting bolts and other areas with an oil wash. I used a black wash in some areas, and a dark brown wash in other areas. I did the painting on the MG-34 using Humbrol Dark Steel in a spray can. I really like these paints. When you first spray the steel on the part, it is dead flat. But a quick polish with a paper towel brings it to a glossy shine. Once it is dry, you don't have to worry about damaging the finish with anything you want to do. I finished the day by spraying some clear gloss in the areas where there will be decals. I decided to try using the decals rather than making stencils, but I am ready to pivot if the decals don't look right. Cheers.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking amazing, my friend @gblair! A beast indeed! Great results with the spray paint!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten). I really like the Humbrol metallic colors in the spray can. They spray really well and leave a great finish.