BMW R75 Military Motorcycle

Started by George R Blair Jr · 216 · 1 year ago · BMW, German, Italeri, motorcycle, R75, Sidecar, Tamiya, WW2
  • Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Hey, George @gblair, such a lot of work, and it’s looking fabulous. Connecting all those lines up would drive me mad. Your various finishing techniques are working very well. Getting to the last page of the instructions is always good.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Thanks, George (@chinesegeorge). This has been a fun build, but I am ready to move on to something less complex. A good old 1/48 airplane would be nice. I still need to take care of the markings and then adding a little weathering.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 4 months ago:

George R Blair Jr (@gblair)
    It's been a while since I have checked in. You got a lot done since the last time I commented. Your exhaust pipes look great, as does the MG-34 and the speedometer. Where did you get the "Just like glass" stuff ? It looks like it would be useful to have on hand.

I'll bet this one is really starting to take up the real estate now you have added the side car.

When I was a little boy, my Dad had an old Harley Davidson that had a side car on it. It was a lot of fun to ride in.

Any thoughts about your next project ? I know you mentioned a 1/48 scale airplane, but was curious if you had any particular type picked out.

Thanks for the update, and I'm sorry I didn't comment more often. We have had a lot of things going on lately. Doctors office and veterinarian visits and such have been interfering with the bench time.

Hope you are feeling better now.

• Profile Photo

Hi Louis:
    Glad you stopped by. I really like the Looks Like Glass (made by Deluxe Materials). I get mine online from Megahobby.com. A fairly large bottle is about $10. I have noticed that my local hobby store has started to carry it. It is a clear acrylic that is very similar to Future, but seems to be more shiny. You can dip your canopies or you can brush it on without streaks. I have also used it to glue the clear film for Eduard PT sets. For the speedometer, I put the decal in the speedometer housing, then I set the clear plastic cover over the decal in the housing, then I simply brushed on the LLG. It glued the glass into the housing, and gave it a real shine. It seems to reflect light just like glass. For instrument panels, I have put a drop of this stuff inside the bezel for each instrument to make it look like it had a glass cover. It does seem to be slightly less able to withstand abuse than Future would be. I have had a couple of times that I had dipped a canopy, then added the canopy masks after it was dry. Later, when I removed the masking using a wooden toothpick, the tip pried up a bit of the LLG. The cool thing is that I fixed it by simply brushing LLG over the problem pane and it was fixed. I really like the stuff from Deluxe Materials. All of their stuff is acrylic-based. They have a couple of putties that you can put on, then shape with water on a finger or Q-tip. I have also let it dry completely and then smoothed and shaped it with alcohol. I also use their model glues, which are also acrylic-based. They also have some stuff called Liquid Gravity, that is basically like adding lead to the nose of your model, but you can pour it into awkward spaces and let it dry. I haven't tried it yet, but I have seen several articles in the English magazines where they use this stuff instead of other types of nose weights.

Next model? So many models, so little time. I want to build the Airfix 1/48 Hawker Sea Fury for the Hawker Group. I have also found some photos of some two-seat Hurricane conversions that the Russians did. One was a radar-carrier that had the operator in the back seat in an open cockpit. They also had a sort of recon version that had an observer with a pintle-mounted machine gun in the back, also in an open cockpit. The third is the version I want to do. It was a trainer version with both cockpits open. Russian sources say it had "dual command", which I think means there was a control stick in both cockpits. The last thing I want to do is sort of a personal challenge that is basically your fault. I want to do a natural metal plane, which I have religiously avoided. Your P-51s inspired me to do an all-metal P-51. I ordered a 1/32 Revell late model P-51 that I want to find a good all-metal paint scheme for. I also want to make my own masks for the markings. I am looking at either one of the Swiss paint schemes or one of the cool paints schemes that was floating around Latin America after the war. I won't post a P-51 while you are working on yours, so I figure I will save the NMF P-51 for later in the queue. The 1/48 Beaufort is also calling me, but it can wait for a while.

Anyway, I will make a game-time decision on the next build after I finish this current monster. I'm getting close. We have several days when we will be picking up my granddaughter this week from daycare, so I will be getting some quality Evelyn Rose time at the expense of modeling time, but its a good trade. Cheers.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

This bike looks amazing now both elements are combined, George @gblair
    The way this one turned out together with some great weathering is superb.
    Nice detailing work on the MG as well.
    Seeing yours and having fun with building the Suzuki will certainly add this BMW to my wishlist.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb). Still have the decals and weathering to go. It has been fun to build, but is very large. These kits are getting sort of difficult to find. I got mine on Ebay, but you may be able to find it elsewhere.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Hi George @gblair, really looking forward to seeing the finished model. If you think this one is big, a 1/6 scale Tamiya Harley Davidson with sidecar must be huge, maybe our friend Cricket @bikequeen will build one of those.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 1 year, 4 months ago:

@chinesegeorge @gblair I would love to build the 1/6th Harley with sidecar, but it’s a bit pricey. I did the Harley Super Glide and the Harley Police bike, both 1/6th

• Profile Photo

Wow, George (@chinesegeorge), I had no idea anyone built this beast in a bigger scale. I think I am retiring from motorcycles after this one. I want to build a nice, easy airplane next. Like you suggest, maybe Cricket (@bikequeen) will jump into a 1/6 BMW. The biggest problem with this build isn't necessarily its size, but its weight. The tires are solid rubber, and it really gets heavy when you add all 4 tires. With all the stuff hanging off this bike, it is getting hard to find a safe place to hold it and pick it up. I plan to try the decals today, and it they work OK, I will be getting close to the end. It has been a fun build but I am ready to move on to the next one. Cheers.

• Profile Photo

Hi, Cricket (@bikequeen). You are right about the price of some of these motorcycle kits. There is a 1/6 motorcycle at my local hobby shop and it costs well over a $100. Plus the size and complexity become issues as you go up to the larger scales.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 1 year, 4 months ago:

@gblair Over $100! LOL. I would be embarrassed to tell you what Ive spent on thee 1/6 kits. I could have probably had a 1/1 bike by now :/ and space to put them! Crazy we live in a very tiny house and there is no room for all the models I built this year…..SIGH

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Hello again George.
    I’m happy to hear that you are talking about building a BNF Mustang. I’m sure you will knock it out of the park when you have it finished. I’m really looking forward to seeing it too.

As far as waiting for me to get mine done before you start working on yours, that’s not necessary. Please feel free to start yours at anytime. I do sincerely appreciate this consideration however. That’s very kind of you.

I’m definitely going to look at getting some of the LLG stuff and then possibly some of the Liquid Gravity too.

Thanks for the information on this.

• Profile Photo

Models have certainly gotten expensive, Cricket (@bikequeen). When I was a kid I remember buying a Revell model for a $1, and using my Mom's red finger nail polish to paint it. (I only did that once, trust me). Now I am building a lot of models I bought 30 and 40 years ago. I still buy new ones occasionally, but not often.

I think you will like the LLG, Louis (@lgardner). I use it quite a bit. Take a look at the Deluxe Materials catalog. They have a range of stuff that is truly amazing. I am gathering my wits around me before I attempt an all-NMF plane, especially 1/32. I figure I will really need to bring my "A Game" for the build.

• Profile Photo

Basically done. I wanted to try the decals rather than cut my own masks, so I sprayed some Tamiya Clear Gloss on the areas that would get decals, let it dry, then applied the decals using Solvaset. The decals looked a little thick, so I used the high-powered decal fluid, but they performed perfectly and probably didn't need to more powerful stuff. Decals seemed to dry perfectly, so I sprayed some Tamiya Clear Flat and let it dry. Here are the photos after the flat was applied. I plan to add a little more weathering and call it done. The biggest issue I have had in the last few days is just handling this really heavy model. I keep breaking off pedals, footrests, etc and then repairing them. Yeah, superglue! It has been a fun build. Next stop will be Headlines, then off to build an airplane. :o) Thanks for following along.

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

An amazing result, George @gblair
    The decals do look great and especially the one on the seats.
    Weathering to me does already look perfect.
    You build will make an outstanding article for the headlines, looking forward to that.