BMW R75 Military Motorcycle

Started by George R Blair Jr · 216 · 1 year ago · BMW, German, Italeri, motorcycle, R75, Sidecar, Tamiya, WW2
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Thanks, John (@johnb) and George (@chinesegeorge). The kit instructions are fairly useless for painting details, but they do have a nice color diagram that shows where the decals go. For things like the engine, forks, etc I am relying on the walkaround and other photos I have found online. Color photos from WW2 are scarce, so most of the photos online are contemporary restorations. We have a military museum not far from where I live, so I might see if they have an R75. I am sure I will be leaning on those of you who are more knowledgeable than I am about motorcycles. Cheers

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Yes, trust the walk arounds, my friend @gblair!

• Profile Photo

I worked a long time getting not much done today. The molds are apparently showing their age, which resulted in the two halves of the sidecar not fitting together very well. I am on my third round of fill and sand, but I think this will get the sidecar ready to add some parts. The decking behind the back of the seat was bowed down when it should be straight. The plastic was thick and resisted all efforts to force it into shape. I eventually cut a piece of aluminum tubing that I superglued to the decking to hold it straight. Hopefully this will fix the problem. Cheers.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Looks like a good fix George @gblair.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

An old mold fighting you, my friend @gblair. A superb fix!
    Looking great so far!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

You clearly won this challenge, George @gblair
    Great fix.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 5 months ago:

OK, I'll strap in here too. I have to admit when I read through the comments and all I had my fingers crossed for the 1/48 Tamiya, but that might appear somewhere else then! 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks, George (@chinesegeorge), Spiros (@fiveten), John (@johnb), and Erik (@airbum). One of the good things about this kit is that each part consists of some really thick plastic. I can sand a lot and not worry about making anything too thin. I am hoping the thinner parts on the motorcycle frame are not warped. We will see soon.

For the 1/48 R75, I was thinking about a diorama of the motorcycle in front of a North African building. It has fallen farther down the build queue, but it is still there. Ahead of the motorcycle is a 1/72 Short Stirling, a 1/48 F-106, a 1/48 Mirage F.1, and a 1/48 Hurricane IID. The list changes all the time, but these keep popping up.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Quite a build queue there, George @gblair, at least a year’s work I should think.

• Profile Photo

Hi George (@chinesegeorge): I'm retired now, so I split my free time between building models and working on my train layout. I usually figure about 3 weeks per kit. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. My biggest problem is that I keep finding kits that I have in storage that I want to build. The queue is an everchanging list.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Excellent subject @gblair looking forward to your build!

• Profile Photo

Hi Cricket (@bikequeen): Welcome to my effort to flounder thru a motorcycle build. This will be my first motorcycle and I will be the first to admit that I know nothing about motorcycles. This should be fun.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 1 year, 5 months ago:

I dont know anything about them either George, but Ive built about 20 in a year :). I think you’re doing GREAT! @gblair

• Profile Photo

I have been busy on the motorcycle, but I don't feel like I am getting a lot done. The kit and parts are detailed and it goes together well. Unfortunately the molds for this kit are very old and time has taken their toll. All of the parts seem to go together well, but every one requires at least some clean up, and some of them require a lot of cleanup. I just finished three days of fill, sand, and repeat trying to fill sink holes and some poor fit on the sidecar. After that, I added the racks on the side of the sidecar that will support the saddle bags. The side of the sidecar is curved, but the racks were straight, requiring glue and clamps to get them to wrap around the surface of the sidecar.

Probably the worst problem was self-inflicted. I was in the process of adding 6 u-shaped fittings that are attachment points for straps, equipment, etc. I had added 5 of them and was getting ready to add the last one. The thought crossed my mind that I wouldn't want to lose one in the carpet and have to scratchbuild a replacement. I took a harder grip on my tweezers so I wouldn't lose the part, resulting in the part flying uncontrollably into the carpet. 45 minutes late I gave up looking for it and scratchbuilt a replacement. I used some plastic and wire, and I think it is OK. I assembled the saddlebags, which are a metal box rather than the leather ones you sometimes see. As expected, they will all need filler and sanding to make them ready, but all will be OK in the end. Cheers everyone.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

20 motorcycles in a year, Cricket (@bikequeen). Doesn't that qualify you as an expert?! :o)