George’s motorcycles - 2023

Started by George Williams · 121 · 9 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 3 months ago:

OK, @brithebuilder, @anthonyricco, @gblair, @rory, @bikequeen, @johnb, @fiveten, new year, new start, hopefully no more damaged or lost windscreens. I’ve just about got over a dose of Covid, so let’s get started on the new Tamiya Ducati Superleggera I briefly looked at last year.

Construction begins, as usual, with the engine, in three stages:

There are weird colour call outs in this kit, the first one being a mix of titanium gold and buff, which I think is supposed to represent the magnesium used on the real thing. I didn’t have any buff but used deck tan instead, which I think worked OK.

That’s all for now, thanks for looking, and happy modelling.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Great start, my friend @chinesegeorge! Magnesium shade came out well.
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Nice choice and ditto start, George @chinesegeorge
    The magnesium looks correct to me.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 3 months ago:

The looks like a real Space Age motorcycle, George (@chinesegeorge). The colors on the engine do indeed look very nice. Sorry you have been sick and hope you feel better. Cheers.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for looking guys, here are a couple more photos of the completed engine assembly:

That’s all for now, next up is the rear wheel assembly and swing arm, and the main frame.

Happy modelling.

• Profile Photo

The engine looks wonderful from every angle, my friend @chinesegeorge!

• Profile Photo

Very nice engine, George @chinesegeorge
    Is the keychain by chance from IKEA, I do recognize this shape of smartphone holder but suites perfectly for modelling.

• Profile Photo

Hi John @johnb, yes, you’re right, the key chain/phone stand is from IKEA, and thanks for taking the time to look and your kind comments, you, too, Spiros @fiveten.

It’s been a bit quiet on the motorcycle front so far this year. I’ve jumped ahead with this build without taking many photos.

I’ve assembled the rear shock absorber. @rory please note Tamiya’s instructions say not to paint the coil spring.

Then got on with the rear swing arm, back wheel and brake, and chain assembly.

All went well until I tried to attach the rear wheel, the screw was too small to suit the size of the nylon spacer, I couldn’t work out why, maybe I fitted the wrong size spacer, I don’t know. Anyway, I bodged it with a cut off cocktail stick and a couple of drops of cyano, and all seems well.

That’s it for today, exhaust and radiator are next. Thanks for looking and happy new year modelling.

• Profile Photo

Great progress and equally grest that you found a way to overcome the rear wheel attachment issue, my friend @chinesegeorge!
    Your Ducati looks spectacular so far!

• Profile Photo

Nice progress, George @chinesegeorge
    Your solution to mounting the swingarm seems to work fine.

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys, @johnb and @fiveten, onto the exhaust system, again there’s an interesting colour call out for the silencer boxes, two parts Gun Metal, one part metallic orange, and two parts titanium silver. I couldn’t cope with that and sprayed them with titanium gold instead. I’ve tried three times to add the photos but it’s not working, I’ll try again later.

• Profile Photo

I think titanium gold is a good way to go for the above shade, my friend @chinesegeorge!
    Looking forward to the pics.

• Profile Photo

OK, here are the pictures:

Huh, only one photo out of five successively uploaded, and I had to log in twice, the internet must be having one of its funny turns.

• Profile Photo

It’s only letting me post one picture at a time.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Hi George, I have been away fro a while. Great progress so far...looks outstanding! Maybe the internet is also in lockdown:)