George’s motorcycles - 2023

Started by George Williams · 121 · 10 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Anthony Ricco said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Wow the detail is amazing and the carbon looks incredible, this is going to look fantastic when it's done.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Excellent detailing, George @chinesegeorge

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Wow, George (@chinesegeorge), the appearance of these parts is very realistic.

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Looking good mate!
    Nice work on the Ducati also.
    The red is growing on me having watched a few YouTube videos of the real thing.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Fantastic progress, my friend @chinesegeorge! Love that screwdriver!

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 1 year, 2 months ago:

@chinesegeorge - It really is looking fantastic George.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 2 months ago:

OK, work continues with steps 10 and 11 assembling the swing arm and rear mudguard. I mistakenly sanded off two of the fixing pins on the mudguard so had to use a drop of cyano to attach it.

Steps 11, 12, and 13 involve joining the engine, swing arm, and engine assemblies together.

Beginning to look more like a bike now.

Thanks, as always, for taking the time to look, and happy modelling.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 2 months ago:

sure is lookin' more like a bike now, George @chinesegreorge. That Meng kit looks great and so does the instruction sheet. What's your opinion so far?

• Profile Photo

Hi, Eric @eb801, thanks for your swift reply. Well, it’s quite different to a traditional plastic kit, but I’m not sure if it’s as satisfying to build. It’s beautifully finished and I’m having to adjust to the larger scale (1/9 as opposed to 1/12).

I’ve heard it said that Meng kits are expensive, but a lot of that depends on where you live taking taxes and carriage charges into account. Here, in China, it costs about twice as much as a typical 1/12 scale bike kit. About 20% of the price is the extra for this pre-coloured version. If you were starting from scratch buying the paints would cost a lot more I think.

Some of the push fits are very tight and I’m scared of damaging something.

Hope this helps and thanks again for looking.

• Profile Photo

Very nice progress, George @chinesegeorge
    Those instructions are also a work of art, so clearly indicated what needs to be done.
    Meng kits are very expensive in the Netherlands as well, or at least, till now I was not able to find one at a decent price, likely caused by taxes.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for looking and commenting, everyone. I’ve had a couple of days break, now back to work on the BMW.

Steps 14 and 15, cover the exhaust system, an important part of the assembly on most bikes. It’s basically a 4 into 1 system, mostly with a metallic finish on the pipes.

And a carbon fibre finish on the silencer box.

There are quite a number of parts to be pushed together, I found it quite tricky to get the downpipes at exactly the right angles.

I couldn’t get the middle two pipes to fit properly. After a lot of twisting and turning I eventually cut off the shaped tongues which should be a push fit into the engine. They sit OK in place, but, unfortunately, in my frustration, I neglected to take any photos, so you will just have to trust me on that.
    The carbon fibre effect bracket which supports the rear of the exhaust system is rather flimsy in my view, but I guess it’s a scale thickness.

That’s it for now, thanks for taking the time to look, and happy modelling.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

The exhaust looks wonderful, my friend @chinesegeorge! Sometimes the locating "aids" cause more trouble than help, so, it seems you took the right decision to cut the shaped tongues off and let the exhaust sit naturally.

• Profile Photo

Nice work on the exhaust, George @chinesegeorge
    Indeed a wise decision on the mounting approach to improve the fitting.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Good morning ladies and gents, thanks everyone for looking and commenting.
    I found a photo of the problem I had fitting the exhaust, solved by cutting off those tongues.

Next up is the radiator.

More pushing and shoving.

Everything is precoloured.

And goes together nicely.

And will hide the exhaust when eventually fitted.

Lots more to come, thanks again for taking the time to look, and happy modelling.

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 1 year, 1 month ago:

George,
    Just ran across this WIP. great builds. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to keeping up on your progress.