George’s Motorcycles

Started by George Williams · 184 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Great work as always George! I always think it is a pity that all the detail work gets hidden away. Happy Christmas to everybody. I am on leave from tomorrow, so I am hoping to get some concerted modeling done over the next two weeks.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 1 year, 4 months ago:

@chinesegeorge great idea George! Looks good installed

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Great idea using the pins, George (@chinesegeorge). I think they look perfect on the motorcycle. I have used them for door knobs on 1/35 scale dioramas. Cheers

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Hi everyone, @bikequeen, @fiveten, @johnb, @rory, @gblair, thanks, as always, for your help and support.

I thought I’d try a test fit for the remaining major components, the fuel tank, the two side cowlings, and the front cowling. The fuel tank, already painted, transfers fitted, and clear coated just needs a little fettling to sit correctly. The cowlings are a clip fit and seem to fit perfectly.

I’m considering not painting the cowlings as so much of them is covered with the Pepsi markings, just give them a clear coat when the transfers are on. A few more little jobs to be done and she’ll be finished. Actually, I just remembered I used the same non-painting technique on a McLaren F1 I built a few years ago, that was a Fujimi kit as well.

Thanks again for looking, merry Christmas, and happy modelling.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 1 year, 4 months ago:

@chinesegeorge. That is a fantastic looking bike! Makes me want to smash all mine ;). Nice McLaren too! What treatment do you use on the chain, I like it

Merry Christmas to you as well.

• Profile Photo

Hi Cricket @ bikequeen, thanks for looking and your kind comments, I always admire your 1/6 models, and your 1/12 Caterham was very cool.

About the Pepsi’s chain, the instructions called for a “burnt iron” finish. I didn’t have any ready made, so I mixed up some metallic grey and bronze, and added a dash of blue, thinned it well, and brushed it on. When it had dried properly I dry-brushed silver on to try and pick out the links. All Tamiya acrylic colours. I’m chuffed that you noticed. Happy modelling.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 4 months ago:

This looks great, George (@chinesegeorge). Your non-painted technique provided some outstanding results. The trick to not painting is to make the plastic not look like plastic, which your finishes techniques have done well. I just noticed that the racing number decal goes overs some really tough areas. Great job getting everything to lay down. Well done.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Looking great indeed, my friend @chinesegeorge! Leaving the cowlings unpainted is not a bad idea: this would have been the case in reality anyway!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Great progress, George @chinesegeorge
    Leaving the side panels unpainted will do no harm. As you said, the decals will cover most of them and as seen on the McLaren, the outcome will be great.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Looking good George, if your happy with the colour match of plastic and paint not painting is a good option.

• Profile Photo

great work George, and what a pretty bike. I am on leave now and should really be doing some modelimg, but I have taken a few days to catch up with myself after a hectic year. Merry Christmas and a prosperous new year to you all, George, George Blair, John Cricket and Ian.

• Profile Photo

,,,, and Spiros and Alan,,,, itchy finger on the send button,,, LOL

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Have a great holiday, my friend @rory!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Merry Christmas to you as well, Rory @rory
    Relaxation is needed from time to time to get your battery recharged.
    Merry Christmas

• Profile Photo

Hi everyone, @fiveten, @johnb, @rory, @bikequeen, @gblair, @kalamazoo, with Christmas done, and we’re into the new year, time to finish off the Pepsi. I’ve added the bits and pieces, and applied the markings, and put it all together.

Just one problem, the windscreen again. No, I haven’t spilt cement on it this time, it’s disappeared. I’m sure I put it back in the box, but when I came to attach it it wasn’t there…….

I’ve searched everywhere and have come to the conclusion that it somehow ended up in the rubbish. I’ve contacted the Fujimi spare parts dept, they were very polite but explained that they no longer held spares for these old kits. The only answer is to buy another kit, use the windscreen, and build it without the “bodywork” so as to display the oily bits, I’ll look out for one at a good price. Or maybe my missing windscreen will appear one day and surprise me. Thanks again for looking. Happy modelling.