Next up….. Tamiya 1/12 Yamaha XV1600

Started by Cricket · 35 · 11 months ago · 1/12, Tamiya, Yamaha XV1600
  • Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Yip, fun fun fun and a get away from the daily grind. I just wish I had more time to spend at the bench. At least I got out for a ride on my Ducati yesterday which is also a great way of blowing the hair back... if I had any...LOL Great project there Cricket!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Hi, Cricket @bikequeen, I don’t think I can claim any originality in drilling out the brake discs, but I’m very happy you felt inclined to do it, great work.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

@rory @fiveten @anthonyricco @gblair @chinesegeorge @johnb @brithebuilder

Not much done yesterday ….. waiting on paint which I just found out will be here tomorrow if Fed-Ex doesnt loose it.

I got the plug wires on, muffles and pipes on, and paint the saddle bags, set etc etc and did the buckles and studs. Also assembled the front wheel and drilled out the rotors ….tedious but worth it 🙂

In other news I have pulled out of retirement on the fire dept by the former chief and now Mayor of the town….we also have our annual fundraiser Thursday through Saturday so it will be a busy week. Also hope to get our truck back from the shop

@rory i m absolutely jealous of your Ducati 🙂

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

@chinesegeorge. I accepted the challenge of the suds and buckles :). Not perfect it they will do 🙂

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Drilling out the holes really makes a difference, Cricket (@bikequeen). Looks great. Hopefully going back to work won't slow your modeling down too much.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looks good from where I’m sitting, Cricket, @bikequeen.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

@bikequeen - Looking fantastic Cricket. Drilling the rotors was definitely worth the time. And the studs and buckles look great.

• Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

The drilled discs/rotors look great Cricket @bikequeen and time well spent. I believe Tamiya are now tooling kits with the holes already done. I think @chinesegeorge mentioned that the Ducati Superlegerra come drilled.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Great progress, my friend @bikequeen!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Very nice work, Cricket @bikequeen
    The saddle and bags do look amazing.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 11 months, 1 week ago:

@rory @fiveten @anthonyricco @gblair @chinesegeorge @johnb @brithebuilder @bikequeen

My paint came in Wednesday so I was able to paint the fenders and tank. Tamiya Champagne Gold over black, came out okay, rear fender was in 3 parts 2 gloss black and the center the gold. I painted and stripped the black parts 3 times as the finish ws terrible. Still not good but I’’m not doing ti again

The tank came with masks which worked pretty well, gold fort, then mask it all and spray the gloss black….came out pretty good. I was pumped so I attached the fenders and then realized I forgot the pin stripe decals….SIGH. Took it apart and did them.

There were 2 color schemes to this kit this one and purple…the pistols would have been really easy but I went with the 2 color option.

Last 2 days were the fire department fund raiser so that killed 2 days of modeling :). We grossed $4500 the first 2 days….i took today off 🙂

So here are some photos of subassembly’s it should be finished today

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Lots of masking, Cricket (@bikequeen), but definitely worth it. Looks great.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 1 week ago:

That paintwork looks amazing, Cricket @bikequeen
    Well worth the wait for the paint to arrive.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 11 months, 1 week ago:

That’s a nice colour scheme, Cricket @bikequeen, good work with the masking.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Fantastic looks, my friend @bikequeen!