Tamiya 1/12 Honda Dax 125

Started by George R Blair Jr · 12 · 1 month ago · 1/12, Dax 125, Honda, Tamiya, Tamiya Special Edition
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

I am jumping in again, even though I know very little about motorcycles and even less about the Honda Dax 125. This is a new model that was just released that allows you to build either the standard version in red, or the special edition Tamiya version in metallic blue. I think it is pretty cool that there was an actual special version of this bike that had markings for Tamiya, and was made only in the metallic blue color. I won't start on this build until I finish the plane and the boat I am currently building, but this looks like a fun build of a cool-looking bike. In the meantime, I can start doing some research on this bike. See you all soon.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Excellent entry, my friend @gblair! Wise decision to start it after finishing your ongoing builds, I should do the same 😁
    Looking forward to it, curious about the Tamiya spray can results (should work beautifully).

• Profile Photo

Hi Spiros (@fiveten): I use Tamiya spray cans quite a bit. They spray really well and are easy to control. They don't work for everything, but they save a lot of time cleaning my airbrush when I can use the cans instead.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Great entry of a cool bike, George @gblair
    I used those spray cans on my Suzuki MotoGP build and they worked really well.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

I had a feeling this was the bike kit you had on order, @gblair. It’s a reissue of their Honda Monkey kit with some updated parts and markings, a great little kit, I posted the original here a couple of years ago.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Hi John (@johnb) and George (@chinesegeorge): I think this will be fun. I need to go back and find your article, George, and use it as a guide. Your Monkey looks very realistic. I hope mine can be half as good. Cheers.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

These little 1/12 scale Tamiya kits are fun, with the Monkey (which Ive built and shared here) and Dax being much less complex than something larger and not aircooled.

As for the Dax, this isnt something currently sold in the US market, likely because it would detract too many sales from the Monkey, Grom (both which shares its underpinnings), and the Trail 125.

Looking forward to seeing your experience with this build.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for stopping by, Andrew (@pb_legend), and sharing your info on this bike. I have very little experience building motorcycles, in fact my only motorcycle was a 1/9 Italeri WW2 German motorcycle and sidecar. This one will be number 2. Yeah!

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

@gblair. COOL! U will have fun with that :). @chinesegeorge the Dax and Monkey are 2 completely different bikes

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Cricket (@bikequeen). Should be fun.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Oops, my mistake, Cricket @bikequeen and @gblair, it seems to be a new tool kit and has got a good review on the US IPMS web site. It’s listed as a “companion” item to the Monkey on Tamiya’s web site. Looking forward to the build, George.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the correction, George (@chinesegeorge). I don't really know anything about motorcycles that doesn't come from research. I haven't done any research on this one yet, so you could tell me that the frame was made from metal taken from a meteorite and I would believe you. I will be researching as I build so I can try to make it look fairly accurate. Cheers.