Tamiya 1/12 Repsol Honda RC213V '14, Marc Marquez

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 32 · 6 hours ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

For this build, I have to blame my daughter, even though it's not a bad thing. My daughter really likes the MotoGP and did convince me some time ago to build the Suzuki GSX-RR '20. That was my first ever bike and I have to admit that it was a lot of fun to do so. Yesterday we were at a hobby store in Rotterdam where she noticed this Repsol Honda RC213V, the championship bike from Marc Marquez in 2014. She really wanted to have this bike on her shelf next to the Suzuki of Joan Mir. Guess who the lucky person was who she asked to build it for her.

Opening the box showed more or less the same content as from the Suzuki, so this is a good sign. A couple of sprues in bright white plastic and one sprue in silver colored plastic. Some transparent parts and a big with tiny screws and other metal parts are present as well. Tires are equal to the ones included in the Suzuki kit.

The instructions are the well known ones from Tamiya, so not expecting too many issues from that. Decals and masks are also present. For the Suzuki, bike numbers for both riders were included but for this bike Tamiya chose to only include the bike number of Marc Marquez, no option for Dani Pedrosa.

It will not be an easy task to build this in such a high quality as other modelers, like @bikequeen for example, are able to, but I do hope to be able to improve with the learnings from the Suzuki build and all the build threads posted by others.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week, 6 days ago:

What a wonderful entry, what a wonderful present you got from your daughter, my friend @johnb! Might not be a weekend build, but you will do a splendid job. Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week, 6 days ago:

@fiveten, thanks a lot, Spiros. Indeed a wonderful gift.

• Profile Photo

And off we go, seperated some parts for the engine and painted them with Vallejo Metal Colors, silver.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week, 6 days ago:

Nice start, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 week, 6 days ago:

I’m sure you’re going to enjoy this build, @johnb, and the best part will be the thanks you will get from your daughter when she proudly receives the finished model from her dad.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thank you, Spiros
    @chinesegeorge, thanks, George. My daughter is happy already now that I started it right away.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Engine slowly coming together.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Great start ,@johnb.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Engine looks super so far, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 2 days ago:

This should be fun, John (@johnb). Don't blame your daughter. I think you are secretly a motorcycle guy.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week, 2 days ago:

@chinesegeorge, @fiveten, @gblair, thanks a lot gentlemen.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 5 days, 22 hours ago:

@johnb late to the party as usual :). GREAT start John, your daughter has great tase ;). There are lots of after market stuff for that kit…just sayin, give mine your daughters email and I will drop the hint to her … LOL

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 days, 19 hours ago:

@bikequeen, thanks a lot, Cricket. You can never be too late to a party. I do know about all those extras, need to think if I want to go that far.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 5 days, 19 hours ago:

@johnb LOL…I was just messing with you John 😉