Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki GSX750S NEW Katana

Started by George Schembri · 41 · 1 year ago · 1/12, GSX750S, Katana, motorcycle, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Well...You got me wondering, Spiros (@fiveten) ! How did you know I was looking to complete a motorcycle?!?!? ANd it's ALSO a Suzuki Katana!

Look what I pulled out of my garage storage just last week. It's Tamiya Kit 1434.900 GSX750S NEW Katana from 1985!

It's been reissued in 2018 with a new box, but looks like it's the same kit from 37 years ago,

I actually bought this kit in the late 80's as my cousin Ephrim actually had a Katana GSX1100S - that's the kit you are building Spiros.

I had most of it done, even had the old red car bondo putty on the seams but I put it away and never completed it.

When I found this kit during a clean up in my garage, I figured I need to complete it and present it to my cousin for good memories of the fun he had on that Katana. It's not the exact same bike he had, but at least it's a Katana.

Thanks for the invitation, Spiros. This is impeccable timing on your behalf and a great motivation to get this little gem completed.

Now there are TWO Katanas in this group build.

I also found the instructions for the FIRST motorcycle I built, a Honda VF750F from 1984. I actually completed this kit back then and had it on my shelf until it fell and broke. 🙁

Hope this counts as an entry item as although it was started over 30 years ago, I'll be completing it in the GB.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 6 months ago:

What a fantastic entry, my friend @georgeswork! Tamiya bike kits, even the classic ones like our Katanas, look so great in the box and even better when finished!

Yes, Tamiya seems to reissue their classic kits totally unchanged, offered at usually interesting or even low prices: a good thing!

It is SO nice that you decided to enter your already started Katana here! Looks fantastic already! Looking forward to see your gem progressing!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Great decision to pick up this one, George @georgeswork
    Looking forward to see this one finished.
    I did own the European variant of this bike (GSX750EF) and I really loved it.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Hi George @georgeswork, great that you remembered you had this kit, it will make a nice partner to Spiros’ Katana. Happy modelling.

• Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Nice build George... brings back memories of my youth! Good luck with completing it

• Profile Photo

Spiros (@fiveten), John vd Biggelaar (@johnb), George Williams (@chinesegeorge), Rory Wilson (@rory)
    Thank you Gents, I just hope I have all the parts and will need to do a thorough inventory since I did find some extra side mirrors floating around and I'm not sure were the belong.

But, that will need to wait a bit as I am visiting my daughter in Thunder Bay. We drove from Toronto for 15 hrs in one day for a total of 1400 kms and still managed to stay in the Province of Ontario the whole time (same distance driving from Milan to Syracuse in one day but no ferry and only one province). Lucky I decided to put the snow tires on the vehicle, as it is getting cold!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Wow! That's a lot of distance, my friend @georgeswork!
    Hope no parts are missing from your Katana kit.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 6 months ago:

A lot of kilometers, George @georgeswork
    The longest distance, north to south, in the Netherlands is just 300km.

• Profile Photo

Hi George @georgeswork, we’re getting ready to fit snow tyres here as well, the winter lasts a long time here in north east China, definitely not motorcycling weather.

• Profile Photo
    Anthony Ricco said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Looking great George, nicely done

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 6 months ago:

A second Katana build will be very cool, George (@chinesegeorge). Looking forward to your build.

• Profile Photo

Hi George @gblair, we seem to have all the George’s on this build, I think you meant the other one @georgeswork.

• Profile Photo

Hi George (@chinesegeorge). You are right, I got lost in the comments and meant the other George (@georgeswork). In my whole life I have never had this many Georges around.

• Profile Photo

Well guys (@gblair) and (@chinesegeorge), I only had this many Georges when I was visiting family in Europe. There was my Grandfather, my uncle and three cousins - all named George - and also my Grandfathers pet bird - named George. It feels like Home. Still up North, no updates on the build.

• Profile Photo

You can never have too many Georges!
    @chinesegeorge
    @georgeswork