Tamiya Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin 1/6th

Started by Cricket · 77 · 1 year ago · 1/6th, Honda Africa Twin, Honda CRF1100L, motorcycle, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Cricket said 1 year, 3 months ago:

@chinesegeorge @fiveten @gblair @johnb @anthonyricco @faraomike @brithebuilder and anyone else i forgot 😉

Tamiya Honda CRF1000L kit number 16042-22000

Sneak peek

As stated in another post, I am doing a second Africa Twin. The other kit was great but some parts were broken. It was also the “Victory Red” version, this one will be the Pearl Glare White (tricolor) version. I was afraid to do this one first as it required multiple colors of paint and I was nervous about that. Having done the Honda CB1100 I got the confidence I need to do this one. I also wanted to do this kit in a step by step review as it is, in my opinion, Tamiya best 1/6th bike and my 10th in the collection.

The wheels are done expertly and realistically as is the aftermarket Detail-Up chain. So without further ado let’s get started 🙂

20 something Sprue parts, several bags of screws and springs, etc. 32 page instruction manual, 6 page full color booklet of the real bike, 4 page part list.

I have a very small home and space is limited, I work at the kitchen table and when dealing with 20 something sprues I came up with this method, it works well keeps the parts and trees labeled and in the original bags in the event small parts get knocked off, also easier to put away when the kitchen table is sided for silly things like eating and such 😉

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Awesome @bikequeen. I'm looking forward to following you on this one Cricket. The box is a great idea for organization. I have a collapsible file organizer that I picked up a while ago. The box will definitely help more with the moving though.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Hi Cricket @bikequeen, you seem to be very organised, this should be a great build to follow, but take it easy, there’s no rush. Happy Chinese new year.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Looks like to be an impressive kit, Cricket @bikequeen
    Looking forward to see this tri-colored variant.
    You clearly found a very practicle approach to keep the sprues nicely seperated and a way to easily clean the table.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Amazing entry and superb organization, my friend @bikequeen!

• Profile Photo

Thanks all….I am not getting ANY emails notifications so if I dont reply please forgive me, I simply am not seeing them on any groups :*(

Meanwhile, I started the engine yesterday, it’s going well and I am resisting the urge to railroad it all through :). Large subassemblies are done, I painted the engine and some other parts for it. The “gold” parts are disappointing it should be more bronze than gold. I mixed the paint per the instructions (one to one, Titanium Gold and Bronze) and it came out silver….UGH. So i added more Titanium silver and it still looked off, so I added Gold Leaf and reshot it…looks better but not quite right to my eye. Lots of bits and bobs to add to it and paint the screw heads. Due to the 2 rather heavy coats of “gold” it is tacky and to keep from messing it up I am putting it aside for now.

The frame will be next

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Looks impressive from here, Cricket @bikequeen
    Better to let it dry sufficiently, getting fingerprints on it are not that nice after decent paintwork.
    Likely you checked already, but could it be that your emails are sent to your spam box.

• Profile Photo

@johnb, thanks John and no they r not in the spam…they one in sporadic..i got this one for instance been this way since I joined a couple months ago ;/

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Looks like another great build, Cricket (@bikequeen). Any idea why they call it the "Africa Twin"? My notifications are sporadic. Sometimes I get email notifications and then sometimes entire builds I was following just disappear from my notifications.

• Profile Photo

@gblair Yes it’s was built for a desert endurance race in Africa. It’s the 3rd in a series built by Honda and the largest engine (A “Twin” Cylinder). The race in Africa’s was discontinued but the bike went on to other races such as Baja. It is essentially a high powered dirt bike. Roger roger on the sporadic emails :). I will have more complete info on the bike when it’s done and I write it up for the main event 😉

• Profile Photo

Very cool. Thanks for the info, Cricket (@bikequeen).

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Your engine colours look OK to me, Cricket @bikequeen, just be patient and let it dry completely. My e-mail notifications all go to the “junk” folder, maybe that’s what you call “spam”, but you should get a “mention” here at the top of the page as well. Looking forward to seeing the frame stage. Most of the bikes I build have four cylinders, but then a “quad bike” is something else again.

• Profile Photo
    Anthony Ricco said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Awesome one Cricket (@bikequeen) - I so badly want this kit, you are doing an awesome job on it so far. Following this closely.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Looking great, my friend @bikequeen...and, yes, better let it dry sufficiently...

My friend @gblair, regarding the heritage of the Africa Twin name, I had read back in 1988 that, apart from the obvious "Africa" (from the African/Paris-Dakar races) and "Twin" (for the twin cylinder arrangement), it was also a somehow poetic approach, as to remind the title of the legendary The African Queen 1951 film.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten). I'm not sure if the people who would ride this bike would be old enough to remember an old movie, even if it was a really cool Bogart film.