Tamiya Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin 1/6th

Started by Cricket · 77 · 1 year ago · 1/6th, Honda Africa Twin, Honda CRF1100L, motorcycle, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Anthony Ricco said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Wow @bikequeen thats coming on so nicely, the colours are really popping well. Brilliant work. I love the idea of your zip ties that look really nice. Keep going with the airbrush, you will save so much paint haha, I use rattle cans on the car model bodies sometimes and yeah it saves so much time.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 1 year, 3 months ago:

@anthonyricco @gblair @chinesegeorge @johnb @brithebuilder @bikequeen @fiveten

Well its coming along, lots of subassemblies

Throttle body

Damper spring and assembly

With center stand

Throttle body, battery box (with embellishments) :). Battery box sides and damper installed.

The lines that will be under the seat/tank are attached but when doing the other bike they kinked at the bend so I slipped a length of brass wire in the tubes and the did not kink when curved to fit. 🙂

Next was the fuel tank…..SCARY :). Painted Tamiya Pearl White, masked off,

then painted Tamiya Pearl Blue, (shown side by side with the red/silver decal

I used Tamiya Decal Adhesive…which was very hard to find…. Applied the decal with about 5 coats of MicroSol…also scary :)…hours and hours later it laid down about 95 percent.

It went so well I proceeded to do the rest of the Pearl White parts and applied the decals with the same technique, again 95 percent effective. I also airbrushed the seats, 3 part flat blue 1 part flat white, with Tamiya Rubber Black trim

The last pic is the fairing with the black trim attached.

Next assemblies will be the wheels and the chain. Those 2 assemblies make this model and it will take a while to complete

I am so pumped as to how the decals turned out, they are all metal flake but may be hard to see in pics.

Thanks for viewing and stay tuned for step by step assembly and painted of the wheels and chain 🙂

Apologies this was so long 🙂

5 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Photos all out sync….sorry about that 🙂

• Profile Photo

And BTW….i coated all the body parts with auto wax, several coats …really made them shine

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 1 year, 3 months ago:

@bikequeen - Wow Cricket, this is looking great! Very realistic... are you planning on keeping it showroom clean or are you going to add dirt and weathering? I love weathering things, but this seems like it should be clean... it's so nice.

• Profile Photo

@brithebuilder .. Showroom clean, I have not acquired the weathering skills 😉

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 3 months ago:

The masking you did really turned out a winning paint job, Cricket (@bikequeen). The decals also went on flawlessly. I love the way all of the different metallic colors all come together to make the engine look like the real thing. Really well done.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Wow! Spectacular, my friend @bikequeen!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Amazing paintwork, Cricket @bikequeen
    I do like your idea to put some brass wire into the tubes to prevent them from kinking.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Hi Cricket @bikequeen, you’ve done a lot of fantastic work there and it’s looking great, the colour scheme really suits the bike. Like Spiros @fiveten, said above, putting wire inside the tubing is a good idea. Looking forward to the next stage.

• Profile Photo
    Anthony Ricco said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Wow wow wow, what an amazing job @bikequeen, that looks incredible, I'm so happy your decals went on so well, what a relief, the paintwork and assemblies are looking so so good. Amazing work.

• Profile Photo

@anthonyricco @gblair @chinesegeorge @johnb @brithebuilder @bikequeen @fiveten

Thank you everyone, the decals are almost perfect, a couple tiny wrinkles but it will pass. I did the chain and started the wheels yesterday stay tuned 🙂

• Profile Photo

The add on part to this kit is the chain and it is fantastic. Got a bunch of pics sorry about that. Top link is flat black, bottom link is Silver Leaf and the center is a little metal tube…like a roller. Took me three hours to assemble it :). Over 300 parts :). It has a little jig to hold the parts and small punch to press the top link in. I still need to paint the rivets

I was worried that I put on to much silver paint on the parts and it wouldn’t move, but as you can see it worked flawlessly 🙂

16 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

This is an impressive chain, Cricket @bikequeen
    Over 300 parts for a single chain makes it look like you are building a real one.
    In the end it also does look very realistic.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Wow! This is really impressive, my friend @bikequeen!