Who is John McGuinness?

Started by George Williams · 53 · 10 months ago · Honda Fireblade, IOM TT, John McGuinness, Tamiya 1/12
  • Profile Photo
    Cricket said 11 months ago:

@chinesegeorge I was never into bike racing so I did not know about this ride but that is a very cool tribute to him. The engine looks fantastic . I too have that kit sans all the aftermarket decals I do have the forks and a resin chain from Poland…I’ll get picks later

RE: the nails….I can hook you with them too )

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 11 months ago:

The addition of the black tubes and pipes really makes a difference, George (@chinesegeorge). These things really improve the realism but can be a real pain to manage, especially when you start adding more and more of the flexible tube. Well done.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 11 months ago:

@chinesegeorge here is that a resin chain from Poland the guy does really great work!

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months ago:

The engine does look very nice, Cricket @bikequeen
    Those Poland guys did indeed create a very detailed chain, looks fragile as well, take care with it.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months ago:

Really fine looking engine, my friend @chinesegeorge!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 11 months ago:

Hi Cricket @bikequeen, that chain looks really finely made, presumably you have to cut it somewhere in order to mount it in the frame? It looks really fragile, be careful with it.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 11 months ago:

Good afternoon @bikequeen, @rory, @brithebuilder, @fiveten, @johnb, @gblair, @kalamazoo. Some more progress, the main frame is assembled.

And sprayed metallic black.

The engine is mounted using four screws, being careful to get the correct length screw in the right hole.

Prior to working on the rear swing arm the stand is assembled. Love the clear yellow tyres.

At this stage in the proceedings I decided that if a component is already moulded black then it doesn’t always need painting black as well, saving paint, time, and the process of having to remove paint from the surfaces that are to be cemented. Most of the black parts are hidden from view anyway, never to be seen again.

More to come, again, thanks for looking, happy modelling.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

Good call on painting the parts that won't be exposed, George (@chinesegeorge). Painting is one of those hurry up and wait propositions, so this should save some drying time. Those small clear wheel are interesting and look good when added.

• Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

Nice work as always George @chinesegeorge. Yip, those translucent wheels look fabulous!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

Excellent work done, George @chinesegeorge
    Those transparant wheels are very interesting. They look great.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

Excellent job so far, my friend @chinesegeorge! The clear yellow wheels are, indeed, great!

• Profile Photo
    Anthony Ricco said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

Wow what a cool tribute build and special edition Fireblade - great work on it so far. Very very nice.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Hi everyone @bikequeen, @fiveten, @johnb, @anthonyricco, @brithebuilder, @gblair, @rory, quite a lot of progress but not so many photos.

The rear swing arm includes the shock absorber, which uses the pre painted yellow spring and the metal cylinder from the detail up kit.

The rear wheel and tyre with the brake disc which has pre drilled holes.

I had to paint the rims gold, not the world’s neatest job.

The completed swing arm is attached to the main frame with screws, a fiddly job getting everything lined up properly.

Here’s how she looks now. The exhaust has been fitted as well, along with the rear mudguard assembly.

Thanks for looking and happy modelling.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Looking great and VERY neat, my friend @chinesegeorge!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

I am amazed at the detail on this kit, George (@chinesegeorge). I would have thought it was a larger scale. The various color tones you have achieved are very convincing. Not to argue, but the paintwork on your tire is very good.