Revell 1/32 Heinkel He219 A-0/A-2 ”Uhu” Nachtjäger Dual Build

Started by Louis Gardner · 83 · 1 year ago · 1/32, group build, He219, Heinkel, Luftwaffe, Uhu
  • Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Looks so good Louis , well done ! From Gary's photos, we can also see his true size especially in relation to the Fw 190F-8 under his right wing and the Ar234 under his left wing ...

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 2 months ago:

John, @johnb
    Thank you for the kind words. Going to the NASM is one of my wishes too. I have never been there, but someday I would like to. Someday... it will happen, the Good Lord willing. Yes, I agree with you these pictures that Gary has shared with us are invaluable. They show a lot of the details we modelers are looking for.

Spiros, @fiveten
    Believe me, I know exactly what you mean by temptation and starting other kits. This is my weakness with building multiple kits at the same time...I will soon be completing our "mutual" Ki-45 Toryu builds, of which you have long ago completed yours. I am sorry that I didn't keep up like I should have. Please accept my apologies for this my friend. 🙂

Gary, @gwskat
    Thank you VERY much for taking these magnificent pictures and sharing them with me. By the looks of things, a few aircraft in the collection caught your eye too... I say go for the Williams Brothers Sparrow hawk. Hmmm... Maybe we need to start a "Yellow Wings" Group Build. Just sayin' 😉 However, an Accurate Miniatures or Tamiya Sturmovik in 1/48 would work too. As far as hijacking this thread, no problems here ! Please fell free to post your pictures on here anytime, on any of my build journals. I sincerely appreciate these additional pictures you posted here, and it's not a problem whatsoever. It never will be either. Post away ... 🙂 Go for it.

I was also inspired by these pictures you sent me. Now I have painted the exhaust on 3 FW-190's in preparation for some upcoming projects. I was painting the exhausts for this Revell kit, the smaller Pro Modeler Ta-154, a 1/48 Hasegawa 109G-10 that Tom Bebout sent me, and the exhaust for the Hasegawa Ki-61's in 1/32 scale. I try to paint a bunch of similar parts at the same time. Then I stash them back into the box for future work to follow.

I have two of the smaller 1/48 He-219 Tamiya kits. I chose this particular paint scheme on the big Revell Uhu, so I could paint up the smaller Tamiya kits in a different way. One will look a lot like the Uhu at the NASM with black undersides, while the other will be a solid RLM 76 underside. From what I have read about these Tamiya Owls, they are supposed to be a very good build, typical Tamiya as they say. Go for it... You might even convince me to drag mine out and start another build journal in our Luftwaffe Group. I could build them up "Iron Werke" style. Who knows ? Maybe we could get Spiros to join in too...

The build journals would work here too as part of the night fighter group. Please let me know, and I'll see what I can do. Thanks again for everything and take care.

Michael, @faraomike
    Yes this is a very large aircraft in real life, and the model is a monster in 1/32 ! It's close to the same size as a 1/48 Monogram B-29, possibly larger... One doesn't realize this, until you can see another aircraft to use as a judgment gauge for comparison.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 2 months ago:

I made some progress tonight. I assembled the exhaust parts.

They are basically a hollow tube where the exhaust were installed inside.

Once the glue dried, I painted the exhausts shrouds. These were flame dampeners, and helped to hide the visible flames that could be easily seen from a long distance at night.

They were dirtied up a little using a Tamiya weathering deck.

The big Uhu was given several coats of Future, Pledge or whatever it's called this week. Now I am ready to start with adding the decals.

I also have been working on the smaller Pro Modeler Ta-154 in 1/48 scale. It is now completed, so look for updates on the build journal for that one too.

This picture shows how big this Revell Uhu is.

As always, comments are encouraged. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Amazing work done, Louis @lgardner
    Those camouflage schemes are amazing.
    Looking forward to the decalling part.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Amazing jobs indeed, my friend @lgardner!
    Love those exhausts!
    Looking forward to see the Uhu decaled!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 2 months ago:

“ was given several coats of Future, Pledge or whatever it's called this week.” Lol Louis! You nailed it well Ahahah

@lgardner- I really like the look of the flame dampers. Did you use black as the base Color is that a mixed shade? With the “rust” powder it really gives them a very realistic look mate. Well done.

The sheer size of the kit is easily understood in that photo with the Ta-154 along side.

Btw, I really liked more the first round of 75 mottling you had on the Moskito,

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years ago:

I haven't been to this blog in a while. I really like your paint scheme Louis, @lgardner. I think you did a great job of nailing the look. I have always liked the late war Night Fighter schemes they are so intersting and different. It sure is a big bird in that scale!

• Profile Photo
    Marcus Vinicius Teixeira Borges said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Pretty good job Louis!