Veterans Day Tribute, 1/35 scale Tamiya M4A-3 ”Easy Eight” Korean War

Started by Louis Gardner · 20 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Hey Chuck, @uscusn

It's always good to hear from you. I hope to be getting some work done on the new tool Tamiya Jagdpanzer IV Lang / 70 very soon... I'll be posting some pictures of it here so you can see where the decals have come in very handy. Thanks again for that !

Here's a quick break down on the various Sherman suspensions. There were a few other differences, but these two here are the biggest changes.

The original type of suspension used was called a VVSS suspension, which stands for Vertical Volute Suspension System. This type had a single road wheel at each end of the "truck" assembly. The spring that gave the tank it's working suspension was mounted vertically, henceforth the name...

Later Sherman tanks had what was called a HVSS system. Here the spring was mounted horizontally inside the round cylinder. This type of suspension had 4 wheels per unit, two on each end. It also offered a better ride for the crew.

This next picture shows the two side by side.

The main reason they changed the suspension was not for crew comfort... although it did help.

They did this so a wider track could be installed on the tank. They found out that the early Sherman's were not as "agile" as hoped for. The "skinny" tracks were getting bogged down fairly easy in mud.

The German Panzer III and Panzer IV tanks could outmaneuver the Sherman...this was found out using captured examples.

So they put a band aid fix on things and added "duck bill" end connectors to make the track a little wider to help reduce ground pressure.

This didn't help as much as they hoped for, (but it did help some), so a new design was made, the HVSS type. Here in this next picture you can see just how much wider the HVSS tracks were.

The early style "skinny" tracks that were used on the VVSS used an end connector that also acted as a track guide. The guides are used to keep the tracks in place. Here's a picture showing how they went together on the full scale version... notice the different style cleats... there were a lot of them !

On the HVSS the track guide was moved to the center of the track, which is exactly how modern day US tanks are...This next picture shows how this style of track went together.

There were also differences in the cleats on these too. Steel T-66, T-84 rubber chevron and T-80 steel chevron types.
    Finally, these last two pictures show just how much wider the HVSS was...

VVSS tank with T-74 tracks.

HVVS tank with T-80 tracks. You can definitely see how much wider the tracks are on this one. The wider tracks reduced the ground pressure, and allowed the Sherman to maneuver much better... which is a good thing.

I hope this helps to answer some of your questions, and it might even tempt you to start building yours... 🙂 I'd like to see that Chuck.

I found most of this information on a website called "The Sherman Tank"... there's a lot of good info on the type over there.

Thanks for looking !

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 2 months ago:

'Michael ' apparently the second Sherman ever off the production line.
    A contribution to the allied cause that cannot be underestimated.
    I met an old tanker at a social event many years ago - he had driven Shermans in Italy during the second world war.
    He mentioned how much they loved the Sherman and how much better it was than anything else they had before.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 2 months ago:

These are some amazing photographs !

Thanks for sharing them with us David. @davem

I noticed that "Fury" used the later style rubber T-84 tracks. So I located a set online made by AFV Club, and they should be arriving soon...

I'll post up some pictures when they do... 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Last night I finally got around to cutting some plastic on this one... and did some work on a "sister" tank called "FURY" at the same time.

The majority of the tank's hull parts are located on a single sprue. This "Easy 8" version has a hull that is built up reminiscent of a Dragon / DML kit. However it has the fit and finish we have came to expect from Tamiya. Everything was spot on the money. No gaps and the details cast into the plastic parts is very good...

Here are the parts that make up the lower portion of the hull.

Once they are glued together they look like this:

There's a "firewall" of sorts provided. It is the vertical panel with several holes in it. You can see it pretty easily in this next photo that shows the rear of the hull.

I deviated a little from the plans and installed the "bolt on" front armored slope next. I did this because I wanted something in place to hold the sides of the hull stationary as the glue set up.

How I deviated from the plans is this: They have you add on the tow brackets and a few other small bits prior to installing the front slope. Looking back, I could have simply built the front slope up prior, and had it ready to go...
    Maybe on the next one.

Here you can see where I prepared the parts to build up another Sherman hull. They're sitting next to the previously assembled unit.

They went together easy peasy... just like the first one did. One of these will be "Fury", while the other will be one of "Rice's Red Devils"...

and then there were two...

As always, Comments are encouraged.

Thanks for looking.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years ago:

Some good progress has been made on this Sherman. You can see just how much has been done by following this link here.

https://imodeler.com/groups/imoder-at-the-movies-1964926360/forum/topic/fury-1-35-tamiya-sherman-and-dml-dragon-tiger/

Thanks !