VF 27 Hellcat (redux) – ’the Shark, the Cat, and the Sub’

Started by david leigh-smith · 61 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Some time ago I posted a diorama depicting a scene on board the Essex just after the sinking of the USS Princeton (CVL 23).

Leyte Gulf; the Orphans of the USS Princeton.
    On the day the Princeton sank during the Battle of Leyte on 24th October 1944, nine Hellcats were airborne and all found a temporary new home on board the USS Essex. The remainder of VF 27's aircraft were lost. So, after initially thinking I'd do this build as a 'black ops' mission and just do a headline after finishing, I've decided that I just can't help myself from posting a build (surprise, surprise). I wanted also to support Jaime's brilliant Nose Art Group Build but for some time couldn't decide what to contribute. All of VF 27's Hellcats were painted with the Cat Mouth nose art, one of the most instantly recognisable and iconic squadron emblems in aviation history. So, inspired to some degree by Paul Barber's build of his Storch... http://imodeler.com/groups/battle-of-kasserine-passtunisia-campaign-build-group/forum/topic/rommels-taxi/ I have decided to go with an 'organic' approach to this build, which I hope will bring something a bit 'left of field' to the party. The initial work gets right to the heart of this build, with the nose art up and centre from the beginning. I'm thinking initial traction will be a little slow on this one but we'll be full steam ahead after my Kasserine Pass build is completed. As has been the case with my modeling projects recently, I'm trying something a bit different to try and stretch the comfort zone a little and maybe develop the skill set. As Jeff Bailey might say, "your mileage may vary..."

2 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 11 months ago:

I sure like what you've done so far...very convincing and realistic cowl damage.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Craig. You'll possibly see where this is going in these shots...

It's a strange thing how easy it is to break a thing. Much easier than building something. Such is the way of man, and, I guess, the universe, as all things edge toward entropy. It's slightly disturbing how much I'm enjoying the destructive act...

The 'blobs' are done with a heat gun and glue sticks. And no, this is not where we are going with this...

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Well - my curiosity is certainly piqued!

• Profile Photo

Hi Greg. Just glad to get something in on the Nose Art GB - a great idea but I was lost for any inspiration. I'm quite excited about this project. I can't be the only one to see that everyone seems to be upping their game here and one of the by products of that seems to be that I'm finding it hard to get motivated by just making a kit. Rob P was saying a similar thing recently.

Normal service will be resumed. Maybe.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Normal service ?

Gene Wilder as Young Frankenstein: "What ! You brought me a brain from an abnormal person ? "

Igor: "Promise me you wont be mad at me ?
    It came from someone called "Abby Normal"... 🙂

Great subject David... I'll be watching for sure my friend.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 5 years, 11 months ago:

What ever the end game, It's gots to be good.

• Profile Photo

Hi Robert, it's great to hear from you. I'm being a little cryptic at the moment for a little fun and I think it may just add some extra intrigue to an already quite different build. Stick around, I think the way this will develop will grab your interest.

Thanks checking in, and for the comment, hope all is well with you!

• Profile Photo

Louis, well done. Only six posts in and we're well and truly into the bizarre and esoteric.

"What hump?"

• Profile Photo

Jeff, if you are around, this is where our friendly Hammerhead makes his debut. A little closer look at the Nose Art, hand painted in a previous diorama.

• Profile Photo

Spent some time installing the Pratt and Whitney 2800 - the details are a bit soft, but I'm pretty happy with the way it's turned out.

• Profile Photo

Adding some colo(u)r...an unusual Hellcat scheme.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 11 months ago:

It is beautiful - a wonderful, and very ambitious idea if I am reading it correctly. If so it is a bit of DLS typicality, and the elasmobranch will be very much at home. If not I can only suggest that the Trolls (of Sunshine in My Pocket ilk) have been at your aircraft...

• Profile Photo

Paul, you are reading this perfectly. The plan is to sink the Hellcat in resin water, position the shark, then embed the mini submersible (see below) complete with LED spotlights and possibly some fibre optic illuminations.

I originally wanted to make this in a cylindrical form to use it as functional lighting but the cost of the resin would be prohibitive considering volume.

Thanks for the support. Now, back to my camel...

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Just began viewing this blog and when I saw the blobs I told myself it's a wreck under water. Now how is he going to pull that off. Then I see the shark and the submersible, and it all makes sense! And why not , this hobby is all about imagination, and replication, along with learning new skills. Way to go David.