VF 27 Hellcat (redux) – ’the Shark, the Cat, and the Sub’

Started by david leigh-smith · 61 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks, Tom. Inspiration came from Rob Anderson's post a few weeks back when he shared photos of the wreck of the Lexington.

As I've worked as a professional diver, it just pushed all my buttons at once and I bought the 'Triton' (Sub, 1/48 by Aoshima - never heard of them). Being a good recycler I thought I'd brush off a previous Hellcat (a real favourite aircraft of mine) and get to work.

I've never seen this done before; there's some wrecks, some underwater scenes, and some nice submarine stuff around, but this is a little different. I'm just hoping the lights turn out as well as I've experimented with - if that works out the whole thing rocks.

6 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Well, you can try to guess what's going on in the DLS mind and may even think you have it clear in your own - but then a sub turns up...

• Profile Photo

Ah, old school modeling. 40 something parts to the whole model. Sand, file, sand, fill, sand. Curse, drink, first aid kit, sand. No Tamigawa here. Just down and dirty with the styrene.

Those ballast tanks alone were a worse fit than laxatives and sleeping pills.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 11 months ago:

"... worse fit than laxatives and sleeping pills."
    David, that is a truly scary statement! I just got on to this piece, so I'm a bit behind the power curve, David. As to the Hammerhead, his debut is great to see. This promises to be a really interesting diorama when finished. The hot glue blobs are a great touch! Never seen THAT technique before! Do they stick well to the painted finish? This is likely the first pooped-on diorama in modeling history - and then they turn out to be decades of sea residue, small colonies of coral, mud, and pieces of aluminum and other materials that the salt water attacks.

WOW! Great imagination, David - you are one of a kind, my friend!

• Profile Photo

Hi Jeff. Great to see you here. My 'experiments with coral' is an on-going obsessi...pastime at the moment. I'm pretty confident it'll look authentic in the end. The hot glue blobs took just fine (stuck like glue, in fact) and it'll take some time to get the shapes and colours I want to replicate.

Hope you are well, Jeff.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Thank you very glad, David - I AM well ... for the moment. My new motto in life has become this: "Every day above ground is a good one!"
    I liked the idea I had regarding the "Pooped-on" look but your prep to make coral is a good one. I really look forward to your journey and the (I'm confident it will be - ) the great ending! Scuba diving has always held great interest to me since around 4th or 5th grade when I did my first school report on the late, great Jacques Cousteau. Sadly, I am also VERY leery of water where I can't see the bottom. I'm a decent swimmer but I DON'T like A) murky water or B) where it is considerably deeper than 3 m (10 ft.) and I can't see. When I went swimming in the Med during my visit to Calella, Spain I found myself VERY uncomfortable if more than perhaps 50 ft. (15 m) from the shore. Long story short, I never had the opportunity to learn diving here in middle America so diving remains an interest ONLY.

I saw a wonderful display at the Pensacola Naval Air Museum where they recreated (in GREAT detail) the look of an aircraft they recovered from Lake Michigan. It was a training plane (an SBD if memory serves) from the Great Lakes NTC - Naval Training Center. The lights on the display were down low and it looked like you, the visitor were diving on a newly-found aircraft wreck. Of course it was covered in undersea (or underlake, as the case may be) slime with sea bottom debris all around. It was a great display!
    That's about it for now. Keep up the great photos on the "Poopie Cat," please! (If that nickname bothers you, please let me know.) 😉

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Inspired idea David - I'll look forward to future installments!

• Profile Photo

The 'Poopie Cat' it is, then, Jeff. I've always had a fascination for the depths for the same reason it gave you the heebie jeebies; the size, mystery, and what may be under there. To this day I have a thing about sea monsters.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, David. Haven't seen anything from you since the F-5 Tiger - anything on the bench?

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 5 years, 11 months ago:

David,I like it ! Jeff, I spent fours on and off carriers and my worst fear was falling into the water , no swim calls for me, always kept a float coat close by.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for dropping in, Robert. I hope you are well my friend and look forward to seeing more of your work - soon.

• Profile Photo
    Çetin SARF said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Such a lovely project. Can't wait to see more achievement.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

And so back onto this project. Anyone got any thoughts on passengers for the sub? Had a quick look on line - can’t see any 1/48 civilians.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 7 months ago:

You might need to use a pilot figure and modify. Also, Tamiya has a couple of sets in 1/48, see attached.

Look at Blast models over in France. And then there is this place...but be careful, it can be a rabbit hole! I know, I'm already planning on a big one with a few things from this site. 😉

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace/miniatures/figurines/?q=&sort=&facet%5BpdcId%5D%5B%5D=111&facet%5BpdcId%5D%5B%5D=348&facet%5Bprice%5D%5Bmin%5D=1&facet%5Bprice%5D%5Bmax%5D=2500&facet%5Bprice%5D%5Bfrom%5D=1&facet%5Bprice%5D%5Bto%5D=2500

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 7 months ago: