VF 27 Hellcat (redux) – ’the Shark, the Cat, and the Sub’

Started by david leigh-smith · 61 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Three months? Really. Boy, I need to wake up on this Build!

• Profile Photo
    Carl Christensen said 5 years, 3 months ago:

This sounds great. I wasnt brave enough to try working with resin in my sunken tank diorama - however I am keen to play with resin at some point. I look forward to seeing how this diorama of yours comes out.

• Profile Photo

Me, too, Carl! I’m thinking I’ll start the resin step by spring, so keep in touch, it’s very much a steep learning curve and it may all end in tears and pain. And possibly electrocution. Again. Even so, it’s all learning! I REALLY need to get a couple of civilian pilots for the Sub. Any ideas very welcome...

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 5 years, 3 months ago:

I see Sean Connery and Ursula Andress in that mini-sub...nothing to get cat ie about. Just an idea Never say Never, you only live twice...

Given the Movie themes...the idea is sketchy I know.

• Profile Photo

Oh, yesh, I absholutely agree, Ushula Andresh in a state of undresh...now that has poshibilities.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Got to wake up on this one - anyone out there got a couple of civilians I can stick in the ‘sub’ ?

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Can you modify a military crewman figure ? Sometimes just painting the figure in different colors like a civilian would wear might do the trick. I have looked and so far found nothing...

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 11 months ago:

David, go back to page 2 & 3. Jeff @mikegolf and myself gave you a few leads on alternate figures.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, James. I revisited those ideas, thanks. I’m just going to have to make do with an old pilot or two. Was hoping there’d be something a little different out there that I’d missed, sort of like an Indiana Jones type with a buxom assistant (ah, time for early morning meds now). Overthinking it. As always.

Thanks James, much appreciated.

@jamesb

• Profile Photo

Cheers, Lou - yep, a little ‘smoke and mirrors’ is going to have to be the solution.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 11 months ago:

That looks an awful lot like Lt Commander Paul Buie from VF-16... That's OK, as he could have eventually transitioned into subs in his civilian life... 🙂

Smoke and mirrors will work ! I'm sure that what ever you decide to use will work out perfectly.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Just tuned in on this one - looks to be another GR8 project.

How about this one; http://djiti.production.free.fr/48006.htm You will probably have to source a head without a helmet, but that should be possible. Send me a direct message if you want one - got a few in my stash..

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 10 months ago:

These are great figures, Erik. Never heard of the company before - bookmarked them now.

This project needs an injection of life. Definitely do something on her at the weekend. I could light up the sub (fibre optics for the instrument panel and LEDs for the spots), but I’d need to finish the cockpit first.

I’ll get some planning done tonight.

Thanks for dropping in.

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 4 years, 10 months ago:

While researching a unique TBM radar pod, I found this sunken Avenger. I thought you might be interested in the sea growth on it.

http://www.ub88.org/researchprojects/tbmavenger/tbm-avenger.html

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 1 month ago:

You are a star, Michael.

Have to say, due to even more poor health, I’ll be lucky to get a finish in this year in terms of projects. This one will be a priority, though.