B-24 in "Night" painting.

Started by capt. R · 26 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years ago:

Recently, I was wondering about the Liberator painting scheme from the 31st Squadron. I am curious about your opinions. I have a theory that it was painted all in Olive drab, and then in RAF / SAAF service dark earth camouflage patches were added and lower surfaces were repainted in Night color. What do you think about it?

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years ago:

That sounds reasonable, especially since Olive Drab and what the RAF/SAAF would have called "Dark Green" are so close at that time.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years ago:

@lis, I agree with @tcinla : makes sense to keep the OD as "dark green" and spray-on the other colors. Especially if you look at the inner side of the starboard fin, you may see a rectangular color patch onto the "original" color (possibly to paint over a s/n or likewise): the "original" will almost definitely be the classic OD, which they decided to keep, otherwise all the fin would have been painted.

• Profile Photo

@tcinla @fiveten Thank you for your valuable comments. I saw such a schematic diagram in the photo. I wonder about the patterns around the window openings. Second thing (not visible from the photo), were the landing gear recesses painted black or were they left in the Zinc Chrime color?

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The fresh green would be whatever dark green or OD the would have available there, my friend @lis. The other shade would be dark earth (or whatever darkish brown would be available there). From the picture it looks like the bays have different shade than the underside color: if so, zinc chromate is very likely to be.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years ago:

Very interesting topic, Lis @lis
    To me the responses from Tom @tcinla and Spiros @fiveten do sound very plausible.
    It would have been a waste of paint and time to respray the OD with another tone of green.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten I think the part that is in a different color is more like the Turbo-Supercharger.

• Profile Photo

@johnb apparently it happened that commanders who took the King's Regulations too much ordered the Mustangs to be repainted from the OD to the DG.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten @tcinla I think the landing gear leg may be black. Is it possible to use a paint scheme like for example Halifax, where the landing gear recesses were repainted in the color Night? From the airfield staff's point of view, if I had me painted, I wouldn't worry about masking the recesses, but driving everything in black.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

It's difficult to be sure if the leg was black, my friend @lis. Also, if you look inside the round bay opening, the shade looks tad lighter than the surrounding black, meaning it would have been left the previous gray? Might this be the case with the leg?

Anyway, I believe that you have to go with your own interpretation, whichever of the above it will be it will be deeply researched and look anyway possible, because, who is going to prove you wrong? 🙂

• Profile Photo

That's just the fact the landing gear is in shadow. They came out of the factory painted in aluminum lacquer and would not have been repainted. As far as the wheel wells are concerned, they came out of the factory painted interior green and there would have been no reason to paint them black.

Not a complaint or put-down, but there's a point in researching these things where there's a sign by the side of the road that says : "Warning - Overthinking Pitfalls Beyond This Point" 🙂

• Profile Photo

I agree with @tcinla 🙂

• Profile Photo

@tcinla And let's stick to this version 🙂

• Profile Photo

It's definitely not your usual look for a B-24 so it should come out looking interesting.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 11 months ago:

@tcinla Did B-24 have bomb bay painted in Zinc-Chromate?