B-24 in "Night" painting.

Started by capt. R · 26 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 11 months ago:

It depended on when and where it was built. It could have been bare unpainted metal, interior green. On the interior of these planes they used at least three different colors, interior green, dull dark green or unpainted natural metal. These aircraft were built in sections at various locations and then assembled. So likely you can paint it any color you want to and that’s what I would do.

In the original build journal I started on the B-24 named “Tubarao” I posted a bunch of factory assembly line pictures showing this. This journal has since moved the build journal named “Monogram B-24 Combo build “Squaw”, “Flak Alley” and “Tubarao”. In this journal I posted a bunch of pictures that I took on the inside of a flying B-24 named “Witchcraft”.

I’m using my cell phone right now and I don’t know how to attach a link to it, but you should be able to find the original journal easily. It was part of the “Teeth and Fangs” group that we had a while ago.

Also I have a good amount of pictures I took of a flying B-24 named Diamond Lil. It’s painted in the early war British night scheme with a black underside. Once I have access to my computer I should be able to pull the pictures up and share them with you.

Hope this helps you.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 11 months ago:

@lgardne Thank You! I will be waiting for your photos! 🙂

• Profile Photo

Lis, @lis
    This is a picture I took of the Colling's Foundation B-24.

I posted a lot of pictures on the build journals I mentioned above.

Please stand by I'm looking for the LB-30 (aka B-24) on our computer now.

• Profile Photo

I found this vid. I'm not sure what color is painted bomb bay. It looks like shade of NG?

• Profile Photo

Lis, @lis
    These are all of the pictures I have of the LB-30 named "Diamond Lil". I took them back in May 2015. Granted this is a restoration, but the colors they used look good to me. Here's the nose.

Front left quarter view showing the entire aircraft.

Same thing from the starboard side rear.

A little bit closer and a slightly different angle.

The tail gun position was open and it didn't have a turret.

Starboard side waist gunner position.

Starboard side showing the engines and nose section.

Underside and main landing gear Starboard side. Note the "U.S." letters are painted in white. This was done because the underside was painted black.

Outer Starboard side engine as viewed from the front. This plane doesn't have the elliptical cowlings, and here it more resembles a B-17.

Close up showing the nose and MG.

Head on view.

Quarter view from the Port side.

Close up of the nose art and nose section.

Port side under wing. The landing gear are definitely painted in aluminum color. Here you can also see the "ARMY" letters are white.

Close up showing the "barn door" vertical stabilizer and rudder.

Followed by the final picture I took of her, this time it's from the Port rear quarter, and from a distance.

Yes the video you posted of Kermit Weeks' B-24 is incredible. Stephen Towle posted it on my original build journal of Tubarao.

Please stand by and I'll get you the links for my B-24 build journal.

PS: This is the worlds oldest Liberator in flying condition. One of a kind.

• Profile Photo

Lis, @lis
    Here's the link to the location where my Tubarao build is being updated.

https://imodeler.com/groups/work-in-progress-aircraft/forum/topic/monogram-1-48-b-24d-the-squaw-sleepy-but-which-version/

In this journal I posted a lot of pictures for Walt and Spiros. I took all of these pictures except for the ones that I'm shown in. My wife took those.

• Profile Photo

Lis, @lis
    Here is the original build journal I started a long time ago as part of the "Teeth and Fangs" group build that was organized by Pedro.

https://imodeler.com/groups/teeth-fangs-gb/forum/topic/1-48-scale-monogram-b-24-j-tubarao-assembly-ship/

Here is where the majority of the original assembly line pictures were posted. There was also a lot of great information about the various colors used on the B-24's.

Please take a look in these two journals. I think you will be better able to make your own informed decision about what colors you want to use.

In the end, it's your model. Build it the way you want to, and keep it fun.

• Profile Photo

@lgardner Thanks a lot!

• Profile Photo

Lis, @lis
    You are quite welcome ! 🙂

I was not happy with the original color because it looked way too dark to me. Originally I used a custom mixed color. In the end, I used FS 34052 US Marine Corps Green. It looks to be a much better match. This was from the old Model Master line of enamel paint.

Here's a scan I made using my Federal Standards color chip book.

It shows the 34052 color on the far right side. It looks very dark in the scan, because of the surrounding paper being white.

Funny thing how colors can appear in different light sources too.

• Profile Photo

@lgardner I will try to find sth from Mr Color or Tamiya that will be close.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 2 months ago:

What do You think about version of this Liberator? i think it could be L or M version because there is no fairing next to waist gunner window, bigger bombardier's position. I’m not sure about window in nose. It couldn’t be bigger in L/M version?