• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 2 months ago:

@lgardner - yes! yes! and yes!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 2 months ago:

@nickn - I love stirring the pot - that's how you get good gumbo. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 2 years, 2 months ago:

It makes sense to me, Tom. I could see the lighter green being used if it were on one or two air frames. However, for a large number of aircraft to be painted, I would think they would need a more stable supply, hence the RLM-02. I doubt very much that the Wehrmacht, being a wee bit busy dealing with the enemy, to concern themselves with scouring the Russian steppes looking for paint for the Luftwaffe. But hey, what do I know!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Great 190, Tom. I agree that 02 was probably used as an exterior color a lot later then 1940. Simply because it was available. I’ve always thought that mixes of available paints were likely for some of those schemes too. I doubt the Soviets left much paint laying around when they retreated and moved factories east.

• Profile Photo
    Andreas Fey said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Very interesting topic Tom. I realy like your result on the FW-190!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Using RLM O2 as a camouflage colour is a fact, dating back to the early war schemes in fighters as everyone knows, and it was also used as part of factory applied mottling for the single and twin engined fighters up to 43, maybe 44.

So using it at a field level painting makes perfect sense.

However I also believe that “older” RLM 63 was also a very strong candidate for those B&W photos of russian front machines using an apparent two green segmentation camo. Several photos clearly show a much lighter shade than expected from O2 or 71 as often described in the photos captations.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Pedro, @holzhamer
    Your thoughts on this lighter color makes sense to me too. Until someone comes forward with some new / unseen color pictures from this era, or possibly even some hidden away home movies, we may not ever know for sure, as most of the equipment (and even the records) were destroyed.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Finally getting around to some photography of the model completed.

I think this scheme grows on one with the markings on. It's definitely a better air-to-air scheme.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Looks great, my friend @tcinla! Indeed a nice air-to-air scheme!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 1 month ago:

A great scheme indeed, Tom @tcinla
    It will definitely draw attention amongst all you other great builds.