AK Paints

Started by Cricket · 16 · 2 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Cricket said 3 months ago:

I have discovered AK paints and Matt @coondog and I were discussing them and other paints, so we started this group. Jump in and post.

I have tried AK Chrome, Duraluminum, steel and stainless steel colors. I have more on the way and will post my experience with them 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 months ago:

I use their 3rd Gen acrylic brush and airbrush with good results, but my main use is their Real Colors lacquers and Xtreme Metal range. Both have very good coverage and durability.
    On a side note I have the feeling that AK is slowly dropping the RC range which is a shame

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 3 months ago:

I’ve never used AK paints , but often see them mentioned here on imodeler. Since Model Master’s unfortunate end… I’ve mainly used Tamiya paints since that the main brand stocked by the LHS. I need to spend more time researching other products, like AK paints .

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 3 months ago:

Hey All,
    For airbrushing my go-to paints are the AK Real Color line. Very forgiving, great coverage, tough for weathering and easy to use. To thin I use Mr Leveling Thinner starting at 50/50 and more thinner from there. Being a lacquer based paint please use a spray booth and respirator. Better to be safe than sorry.
    Give 'em a shot (yes pun intended) KEEP IT FUN!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months ago:

So far my only experience is with Vallejo Model Air. Although I'm quite happy with them, I do want to compare with other paints to get a feeling on how those behave. Very interested in this discussion, a great idea to start this topic, Cricket @bikequeen

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 3 months ago:

Cricket (@bikequeen), My experience with AK Real Colors is that they act just like Tamiya paint. In fact I have been able to mix the two together. The Extreme metal colors have good coverage, but I believe they are enamel based (don't quote me on that). I used them for my Constellation build but found that they were still subject to pulling up with tape if care is not taken. I did find that I could not thin them with Mr Hobby Leveling Thinner, had to use AK's Extreme Thinner. They do take much longer to dry, more than 24 hours in my experience, but good paints otherwise and many useful metallic colors.

I am currently experimenting with Vallejo Model Air for air brushing, but still having a bit of difficulty with the technique. Vallejo's biggest advantage is it is readily available and they have a huge range of colors. As Pedro (@holzhaer) mentioned, AK Real Colors are getting more difficult to buy, mainly because of supply in the US I believe, but still available from SprueBrothers, HobbyLinc, Mega Hobby, KitLinx (sometimes).

Of course, if you don't mind the smell, there's MRP, and I think SMS (not sure if that is lacquer based).

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 3 months ago:

@holzhamer @ssgt @clipper @johnb @gswkat WOW! Quick turn around! Thanks everyone! I should have mentioned that I was speaking about the AK Xtreme metal paints. And they are a lacquer base. I have not had any real experience with them other than this bike. Yes they do take a bit longer to dry and what i have used they remain tacky even after 2 or 3 days. As most of you know i build mainly bikes and I wanted a metal color for a lot parts so I’m happy with AK

Having said that I’m still very new to all this so I will keep you updated 🙂

There is the bike, front side fairings are AK Stainless Steen, Engine is AK Duraluminum, and a fuel tank and seat fairings are AK Chrome ( which was an issue until I got the Harden & Steenbeck airbrush

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 3 months ago:

Cricket, I have had no experience with the AK paint range, I use Vallejo model air and SMS acrylic lacquer. I use these mainly because of availability ( SMS HQ just up the road ) and colour range. The SMS paints "stick" very well and have yet to have problems with tape lifting them.

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 3 months ago:

Next time in visit the LHS, I’ll have to see what AK or other paints are available there. Your motorcycles look great cricket @bikequeen … the photos look like they could be used in a catalog put out by the bike manufacturers .

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months ago:

Excellent topic, my friend @bikequeen! Watching with interest, as my go-to till now are Humbrol enamels of which their production is told to be ended, so I have to search for alternatives.

• Profile Photo
    Felix said 3 months ago:

I use AK 3rd generation acrylics, which i like a lot. I prefer them to Ammo Mig acrylics as their RAF colors seem a bit more precise and are not as glossy in the first place . They do need to be thinned down considerably and they also need a flow improver (i use the one from Vallejo). I only use acrylics due to health concerns.

• Profile Photo
    Felix said 3 months ago:

What, Spiros @fiveten, Humbrol ceases to produce? Just enamels or also acrylics?

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 3 months ago:

The only three I have tried are AKs Extreme Metals Black Base, Aluminium and Duraluminum. It was towards the beginning of me using an airbrush so I definitely wasn't great at it, it might be worth me trying them again to see if my opinion has changed. I found the base to be difficult to use due to how little pigmentation was in it, but it was exceedingly glossy to produce a good result when the metallics were applied. The two metallics were fine if done over a black base (regardless of which brand the base was) but was quite weak and easy to damage even if given a long time to dry, meaning that masking off individual panels would just damage the already painted areas. Overall I think if you wanted a relatively weak but super shiny metal, then go for Alclad. If you want a paint that's a lot stronger then go for MRP, the shine is about the same as AK in my eyes and is a much better paint to work with. They all stink the same, so you'll need the mask and extractor setup for all of them.

Overall, seemed alright but didn't find them to be the best in shine or the best in usability.

Haven't tried the acrylics but I have been tempted to pick up a couple of the basic colours like black, a basic aluminium, a grey etc. The sort of colours needed for cockpit brush painted details and such.

I will say I'm a bit of an MRP fanboy and they cover everything I'd ever need for airbrushing apart from a super shiny chrome, but as mentioned that's more of Alclads sort of domain

• Profile Photo
    Woody Kubacki said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

I use AK RC a lot, mixed about 60/40 with MLT. They are as nice as Mr Color and Tamiya LP, except for one issue: with application of decal softeners you run the risk of damaging/removing the paint. This has happened to me with Tamiya's Strong solution. I think this is because the RC line are acrylic lacquers or some hybrid thereof. This is why AK is reformulating these (RC) to be true lacquers (as well as pulling a lot of paints from their RC line that aren't selling as well as the others. For me this means most Japanese paints except for the ones for the Zero, will be gone...time for me to stock up.

Regarding AK Xtreme Metals, I used them once in 2020 (after buying 5 bottles), but found out too late that they were enamels. I have read that since then AK has reformulated that line to be lacquers, without letting anyone know. I now use MR Color Super Metallics (SM202-SM209) as they are lacquers, hold up well to masking and handling, and look great. all of my Japanese Army aircraft that I built start out as bare metal, so I have quite a lot of experience with the SM line (see Empire of Japan Group Build group)

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Humbrol enamels to be dropped? I thought they had to reformulate them to comply with EU regs. I use mostly Humbrol and Xtracolor enamels, along with Mr. Color and Tamiya lacquers. I’ve been using AK Extreme metals for NMF too.