AK Xtreme Chrome

Started by Cricket · 14 · 2 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Cricket said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

@coondog @brithebuilder @fiveten @chinesegeorge @chrisballard @gblair @ssgt @johnb @clipper @jdtruby

Here is my test piece of the AK Chrome it’d hard to tell from the photo but i think it’s perfect. The rotor is one piece except for the small rectangular bit’s which are PE parts. The outer part of the rotor was lined, as it would be if the pads had worn it, which gave sit a good sheen, the 6 attached lugs are gloss. So all in all it’s a great finish. No primer was used as AK recommends or states.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

@bikequeen - That's some very nice chrome Cricket! I may have to try AK paints someday.

• Profile Photo

@brithebuilder thnks Brian, i am very impressed with it, i did nothing special with it, I ordered a couple more colors I should have them early next week

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

I have been wondering how well the AK metallics work. I looks like they work extremely well. Thanks for posting, Cricket (@bikequeen).

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

Thanks for posting it, my friend @bikequeen!
    Looks like it is working extremely well!

• Profile Photo

@brithebuilder @fiveten @gblair I have to qualify all that by saying some of reported the paint will lift with tape, I haven’t tried that so I cant speak to it. Also it takes a good 24 hours to dry but it didn’t this time but I held by the edges and was careful with it. I worked with the piece about 5 hours after it was painted. I’m happy with it and looking forward to more metal paints from AK. I got more coming in but I forget what colors I got….the joys of aging I guess .. LOL

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

Hi Cricket (@bikequeen): I always let the paint dry for 24 hours if I plan to tape over it. Doesn't always work, but Tamiya paint dries really tough.

• Profile Photo

@gblair Tamiya paints dry really fast…except a few colors, thats why I can built them so fast 🙂

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

This chrome looks really good, Cricket @bikequeen

• Profile Photo

@johnb thank you JOhn, it is definitely something to experiment with

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

Very impressive results.

• Profile Photo
    Clint Miller said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

I picked up a couple of the AK metallic to try on some NMF airplanes, but I haven't had a chance to try them yet. I also picked up some of the Vallejo metallic also, the airframe box set. Have any of you guys had any experience with those? All I've ever used was Alclad, which I've had good luck with. I was just trying to make things hard for myself and try something different. 😉

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

@curtisshawk

Clint, if you are referring to AK Xtreme range then yeah I have some experience airbrushing their Alluminiums. Good coverage and very smooth results with two layers of spray. You can thin them with their own Thinner/Cleaner, but I never felt the need to. After a couple of hours of drying time you can handle it and masking with Tamiya tape with no issues. I use plain black paint as a pre coat not for extra shine but because it enhances their durability when compared to spraying over bare plastic.

I also have a very limited experience with Vallejo Metal Color, not my first choice tbh

• Profile Photo
    Clint Miller said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

Thank you, Pedro. Your assumption was correct, I have the AK Xtream colors, sorry I wasn't too clear on that. Without looking I believe I have a bottle of there airframe aluminum, and polished aluminum. I'm hoping to give them a try soon. Thanks again for your procedure using them, I appreciate the tips.