Airbrushing Model Master enamels

Started by Greg Kittinger · 7 · 4 years ago · airbrushing
  • Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 7 months ago:

I plan to stick to acrylics mostly, but I inherited a large stash of MM paints when I bought out a guys stash a few years ago. Lots of unopened bottles, so I feel like I shouldn't waste it.

I'm just getting into airbrushing, and would like to know what's the best paint/thinner ratios and pressure combinations to use for general application and detail/fine-line painting, as well as best thinners to use, and any other tips or tricks for getting the best out of MM paints.

Thanks!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Model Master makes paint in both acrylic and enamels. Both are sold in the same sized bottles. Care must be taken as they can be mixed up if you're not careful. The acrylics have a light blue band on the bottle going from memory.

I prefer to use MM enamels. Sadly they have discontinued a good portion of the colors. I typically use the Testor's thinner that is sold in the larger metal can. It has a red / white wrapper and can often be found at any hobby store.

I typically use MM enamel paint mixed at a 50 / 50 ratio for air brushing. Half paint, half thinner. It is sometimes reduced even further if I'm trying to spray it in a thin line or use it for mottling style camouflage as was used by the German Luftwaffe. I'll use less paint and more thinner for these applications.

As far as spraying pressure, here again it varies. I have had my best results using between 20 and 30 PSI. You can drop the pressure more if you are doing finer detail work. It will depend on your style, and the type of air brush you are using.

This is a ball park estimation. Your mileage may vary...

Hope this helps.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Good stuff Louis. I'm like Greg, strictly acrylics but a toy store had MM enamels on sale for .99ยข-$1.99 so I bought a bunch plus the thinner you show. What do you use for cleaning your airbrush after an enamel session?

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 7 months ago:

I have a gallon of Dupont automotive acrylic enamel reducer. It's left over from a previous car that I painted / restored.

Its a lot more harsh than the stuff I posted a picture of. It works like a charm with cleaning the air brush though. I wouldn't use it on a plastic airbrush, as it would probably melt it...

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Good info, BFAM!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks @lgardner!

• Profile Photo
    Jason Lambert said 4 years, 3 months ago:

i love and swear by Mr. color self leveling lacquer thinner. i can get great solid color wet coats (1:1 to 5:8) (these are thick for me) that lay wonderfully if thats what im looking for or do filters etc. in the (1:8 to 1:12) range or more depending on colors of course.
    Everything in airbrushing is a variable .
    Also make sure you have a water separator somewhere along the air line to reduce contaminants.