Mission Models Paints

Started by Jay Mitchell · 7 · 3 years ago · airbrush, Mission Models Paint
  • Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Normally I use Model Master or Tamiya paints, but decided to try something different . The local hobby shop owner told me Model Master was being discontinued and Tamiya doesn’t have the complete range of RLM colors . Mission Paints have quite a selection of RLM paints.

I was wondering if anyone on imodeler has used these and if there are any tips to share about using them. From the info on their web site , they seem to be hassle free.

This Bf-110 will be the Guinea pig . I bought the colors called out by the instruction sheet for the exterior camouflage. I ‘m looking forward to starting this 110, I have a soft spot in my heart and head for them for some reason.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Jay, my only experience with Mission Models was not very favourable because it kept clogging the AB tip. No doubt it was my inexperience with the brand, even more so because I don’t have their thinner, I just used water to try and make it more “wet”. The parts where the paint actually flow gave good coverage with one or two passes of the AB though. Good luck with that 110, it’s a very nice kit

• Profile Photo

Thank you for the reply, Pedro...
    On their website ,I think , it said you could spray it from the bottle. They said to use distilled water if you thin it with water. I thought I’d give it a try. If it doesn’t work out, I’ll stick with Tamiya paints.

When I’m airbrushing, sometimes I feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick a football, I start out with positive expectations but things often seem to go awry. I should probably try to master brush painting.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Hi Jay, I have been using Mission Models paint, and love it. I use a Paasche H Single action air brush with very good results. But not only good on coverage on RLM, but also Japanese aircraft, RAF, and modern air as well. I use Testors acrylic thinner and Tamiya at 70/30. I just posted my Fujimi Val, that was painted with MIssion Models Acrylic.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Hi Jay, I have used Mission Model Paints with good success. My advice is read the Mission Model website, Tech Support/FAQ's, and follow their advice. What works for me is 1 drop each thinner and poly to 10 drops paint. I have had good results with this formula.

If you are not using acrylics exclusively, I also use Gunze Mr. Color and AK Real Colors range of paints with good success. All of these I thin with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner.

Good luck.

• Profile Photo

Chuck, (@uscusn) ,thanks for the reply... your Val looks awesome , you did great on it. Fujimi has some great kits considering when they were first released. I generally gravitate to those vintage kits if they’re not priced like valuable antiques.

The paint looks nice... I’m looking forward to trying out the mission models paint.

• Profile Photo

Gary.. (@gwskat),thank you for the advice. I didn’t buy any of the poly. I’ll buy some before I’m ready to paint the 110. In my airbrush, I pretty much just use acrylic paints, 99% of the time anyway.