Heller 1/72 DC-6B Super Cloudmaster

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 107 · 5 months ago · 1/72, DC-6B, Douglas, Heller, SAS
  • Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Those extras you are adding are great, Spiros @fiveten, thanks for sharing these with us.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Thanks my friends @gblair and @chinesegeorge! Heller went "light" on key areas details, a usual trend back then. Good thing they got the basic shapes correct (a nice Heller trend).

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 5 months ago:

I think that was true of Heller in general, Spiros (@fiveten), but they did make some nice models for their time. I have the EC-121 from Heller, and I ordered some resin and photoetch to fill in the gaps. These sets haven't been around for a while, but I found them on Ebay. The sets are slow to show up, only one has made it so far.

• Profile Photo

I have an EC-121 almost finished, my friend @gblair. Started it many years ago, drawing it, from time to time, out of the "almost finished projects" showcase and putting it back again...

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 5 months ago:

I have done the same thing with my EC-121 many times, except I have never started it. I think about all the cool paint schemes, open the box, imagine the work needed to bring the model up to a good standard, then close the box and start something else.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Looking really great here with all that detail you’ve been adding, Spiros @fiveten. That “ribbing”, oil coolers and the nav light really make it.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @eb801!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Spiros, countinuing from John's build over here for the SAS colors. Hope it is OK with you 🙂
    The SAS planes were delivered new, and initially they did not have any painted areas on the polished metal parts, but during use they too did get painted here and there. First to come were the areas behind the engines, then APU exhaust and often the tail and sometimes around openings to fight the corrosion. The boxart shows the plane in later life as does the picture here:

Hope it helps - of course the freshly delivered plane woild be really nice with polished metal all around!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Thanks so much for this very valuable help, my friend @airbum! Of course it is ok that you continue from here! So, I am leaning towards a earlier example with lightly weathered NMF ar "areas of interest". I wonder if the decals are ok to represent an earlier example, or they "evoluted" too. Looks like they are more or less the same through the years of evolution, but I might be wrong.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 4 months ago:

I think the early version will look cool, Spiros @fiveten.

• Profile Photo

I believe so too, my friend @chinesegeorge!

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Spiros,

Your smooth operator, judging by all the sanding. Great save on the canopy. Like a magician you pulled the rabbit out of the hat. Only the viewer will never know what you had to go through to make the canopy look right. For a kit this size, given the parts break down it is a simple but, the amount of work needed to prep and paint makes it complex.
    I'm really enjoy following this build. My father spent part of his career being a flight engineer on DC-6s. For the pre-flight with the engine run ups he had to use an oscilloscope to check all the jugs and plugs. Which is unheard of today. Everything was analog, with rods and cables back then.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

@stephen-w-towle, based on the amount of parts you would judge this kit as simple indeed, but the amount of work required to make those parts fit nicely and large areas for painting, makes is not that easy to put together. Your dad must have had an amazing job, being responsible for the functionality of such an aircraft must be great. The analog world, how great is that. I do work at a Semiconductor company and still a lot of our IC's do contain analog circuitry, next to digital ofcourse. You can do so much more with analog than digital.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

@stephen-w-towle, @fiveten, oeps sorry, I thought this was posted in the other DC6 build. This is Spiros' build. My appologies to interfere this thread.

• Profile Photo

Thank you so much for all these kind, motivating and supporting words, my friends @stephen-w-towle and @johnb! This is a build I started some time ago, then left it aside, only to bring it back to the bench recently, due to motivation risen by John's wonderful build.

Thanks for sharing your memories with your Father, Stephen, it is an honor for me when my build triggers such memories.

Not only you do not need to apologize, but, on the contrary, it is really wonderful that you shared your thoughts here, John!